It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2005, 08:32 PM   #1
(female)

croppingmom HB User
Question stregthening my lower back

I have a bad lower back..well actually I knock my pelvis out of alignment easily. This can be done from simply walking. I was told to stregnthen my lower back any sugestions on how to do this. I am going to contact a physical therapist this week but thought I would check here first.

Old 03-28-2005, 07:33 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Ding HB User
Re: stregthening my lower back

i know of few excercises that my aerobics teacher taught me, i'm no expert but here you are.

lie on your front, flat on a mat. then put your hands underneath your chin with your elbows out wide. then you lift your shoulders and upper body slightly off the ground, using your lower back muscles. then return to the starting position and repeat. the movement should only be very small, and you shouldn't jerk it. there are a few variations on this move that you can do, with your hands behind you resting in the curve of your back whilst you lift up, instead of under your chin.
as i said, i'm no back expert, and i dont know how suitable these moves will be for you, as you said you have a weak pelvis etc. maybe give them a go though, as they can help strengthen the area.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2005, 08:21 AM   #3
(male)

Nixona HB User
Re: stregthening my lower back

By saying knock your pelvis out of alignment, I'm going to assume you are under the care of a chiropractor? Sorry, I saw them for years in hopes of curing my low back pain, they came up with misaligned this, subluxated that, yadda yadda yadda. Even once was told I had a moderate case of SCOLIOSIS! Then one day it became incredibly painful to walk. Turns out I had fractures in two different levels of vertebrae in my lower back. Even though the chiropractors had xrayed me for years trying to figure out what the problem was, none of them could figure it out, yet it took an Orthopedic Surgeon literally 10 seconds to spot it in 3 different sets of old xrays. The suregon's sent me to his friend, a physical therapist with more letters AFTER his name than were actually IN his name. He saw me every day at about 6AM had his morning coffee while I did the exercises.

That being said, I have no idea what's wrong with you. But, I was sent to an excellent physical therapist who helped me greatly, and I no longer have any back pain. First, you want to have strong abs. I don't know if you exercise or whatnot, but the abdominals help stabilize the back. You don't have to be ripped, but you'll find that most back exercises will involve the abs in one shape or another.

The PT gave me two unique stretches to help me out. First, you lie flat on your back on a firm surface, legs outstretched. Bring one leg, outstretched, as far up as you can while keeping it straight. Chances are you won't get all the way, so stop when you have to bend to go any farther. Then slowly and as fully as possible, push your foot forward and back. Almost like pushing and then easing off the gas pedal of your car. Do 30 reps each leg, one rep consisting of bring your foot all the way forward and back. Three sets per sitting. With each set you should be able to get the leg up a little farther while still keeping it straight.

Next, again lying flat, put both feet on the ground so your knees are bent. Bring one leg across so that the point midway between your knee and ankle is resting on the still bent knee, it should look like a "Figure 4." Sorry, not great with describing this stuff. Place one hand on your ankle, and the other on the knee of the leg draped across. Pull back on that knee, firmly so that you can feel the stretch. Hold for 30 seconds, switch legs. Do 3 times per leg.

He had me doing that about 5 times a day, and it's very simple to do. Two weeks later I was doing light squats. Two weeks after that I started doing lunges. Like I said, I am now pain free. I've progressed to the point where I only do those exercises when I'm stiff, say getting out of bed or from sitting for an extended period of time. That really was a turning point for me, I hope it helps you in some way.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nixona For This Useful Post:
Donkane (05-30-2011)
Closed Thread