It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2005, 12:48 PM   #1

BobK07 HB User
"Fake" squat

when I work legs I dont do the normal squat, I do the sqat machine which i call fake squat, you are basically doin the squat but ur leaning up against the pad on and angle. not the 180 degree drop of a normal squat. Is this machine still effective?

Old 03-28-2005, 12:54 PM   #2
(male)

DMN HB User
Re: "Fake" squat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobK07
when I work legs I dont do the normal squat, I do the sqat machine which i call fake squat, you are basically doin the squat but ur leaning up against the pad on and angle. not the 180 degree drop of a normal squat. Is this machine still effective?
Lotta people do squats that way. It's like doing squats with a stability ball.

Do you have a Smith at your gym. Try it with that.

--
John

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2005, 01:16 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChappyBoy HB User

It works legs but there is absolutely no substitute for Squats. NO SUBSTITUTE - not smith machine, not leg press, not hacks. Squats are the single best exercise you can do. If you have no contraindications do to health you are cheating yourself by not squatting.

As far as squatting with a ball or training with a ball. Balls should be reserved for golf, baseball and football. I would NEVER train someone with a ball.

Last edited by ChappyBoy; 03-28-2005 at 01:22 PM. Reason: forgot a little something something

Old 03-28-2005, 01:55 PM   #4

big neal HB User

Here Here......I agree! There's no alternative to real squats! If you're gonna involve the balls and other "weak" alternatives, you might as well just do leg presses (they're very helpful toward leg development)

Old 03-28-2005, 02:12 PM   #5

BobK07 HB User

is the squat really that great? what makes it so good? I do do leg presses as well. Heres my leg routine, id like to know if its ok.

quad machine (1 leg at a time (3 X 10 at 50 lbs)
hamstring machine (3X10 at 100 lbs)
leg press (3 X 10 at 340 lbs)
calf raise machine (3 X 12 at 120 lbs)
fake squat (3 X 10 at 450 lbs) (the fact that i can do that many reps at that weight is enough to convice me the machine is far infirior to a real squat)

how does that routine and weight used look? (im 6 foot 160-163 lbs)? Keep in mind I started liftin a couple years ago but didnt really do much leg workuntil mid January and I do it 3 times a week and I always do it after a run of 2-3 miles.

Last edited by BobK07; 03-28-2005 at 05:48 PM.

Old 03-28-2005, 03:15 PM   #6

BobK07 HB User

also, I've noticed that since i started lifting my lower body by abs have become a little thicker and bulge out more. I havent done any more ab work, in fact I've done less. Would this have anything do do with the leg lifting for some reason?

Old 03-29-2005, 02:08 AM   #7
(male)

DMN HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChappyBoy
It works legs but there is absolutely no substitute for Squats. NO SUBSTITUTE - not smith machine, not leg press, not hacks. Squats are the single best exercise you can do. If you have no contraindications do to health you are cheating yourself by not squatting.

As far as squatting with a ball or training with a ball. Balls should be reserved for golf, baseball and football. I would NEVER train someone with a ball.
I agree Chappy. But, if they have neber done any REAL squats don't you think using the Smith will help them in getting their form down so they don't blow something out? Then they can move away from the machine when they are accustomed to popping their rear out there and keeping their feet flat on the floor etc.

--
John

Old 03-29-2005, 05:20 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChappyBoy HB User

John absolutely not! The smith machine controls the movement so the body moves in a linear motion. The best way to start squating is with light weight and good form. With that said the smith is a great machine and can be used for front squats and a variety of other exercises, Just not a substitute for squats.

Old 03-29-2005, 12:38 PM   #9
(male)

DMN HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChappyBoy
John absolutely not! The smith machine controls the movement so the body moves in a linear motion. The best way to start squating is with light weight and good form. With that said the smith is a great machine and can be used for front squats and a variety of other exercises, Just not a substitute for squats.
Well then, I started the right way (light weight with a mind towards form)! I thought the Smith would be good, but you make a lot of sense.

Thanks, as always.

--
John

Closed Thread