It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2005, 08:54 AM   #1

mklyon HB User
Question Bottled Water?

quick question. someone at work told me not to refill a bottled water container with tap water. They heard/read somewhere that is was not a good thing to do. I refill a bottle almost everytime I go to the gym. Anyone else heard this or the reasoning behind it?

Old 03-30-2005, 08:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChappyBoy HB User
Re: Bottled Water?

It can carry bacteria from the backwash/ lips on the rim. I would try to limit it to one refill a say and then chuck it if you do refill.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2005, 09:11 AM   #3

jaalfer HB User

Buy a nice water bottle from a sporting goods store. I recomend nalgene brand but there are a lot of others. You can wash this everyday and its even dishwasher safe(top rack). Can be frozen (but you have to leave a little space for expansion). It can also hold hot luiquids. I have 2

Old 03-30-2005, 04:48 PM   #4
Inactive

vesuvius HB User

I reuse the same water bottle for a couple weeks at a time and I've never had a problem. No need being a germaphobe

Old 03-30-2005, 04:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Piranna65 HB User

i use the same, just rinse em out good and wash em? I have also one of those 32oz/1000mL eddie beauer plastic things that i rinse and wash out too. Same thing really.

Old 03-31-2005, 12:01 AM   #6

johnd HB User

I have heard this as well. The resoning is that somehow after opening, the plastic will start leeching toxins into to water. I really have no idea how they say this happens, but i have heard it from more that a few people. I have taken it at face value and dont do it (like the previous poster, i use nalgene bottles), but it warrents further research i suppose.

johnd

Old 03-31-2005, 07:25 AM   #7
(female)

mf2 HB User

I would say stick to reusable bottles...more sanitary because you can wash them everyday, AND you're helping the environment Nalgene bottles are great - you'll have it forever practically.
We're too obsessed with bottled water!! It's a waste of money and just one more thing we have to recycle...just my two cents.
mf2

Old 03-03-2006, 04:50 PM   #8

brucen32 HB User

What type of Nalgene bottle are you using? The #7 or the #5? Apparently the ones made of Lexan (#7) are not supposed to be good for you.

Old 03-03-2006, 10:09 PM   #9
(male)

eDeal HB User

Plastic is not as smooth as glass, so over time it can build up a lot of crud that will not easily wash out. But unless you immune system is compromised, refilling a plastic bottle is not going to hurt you.

Remember, humans have been drinking untreated river water for thousands of years and somehow we were able to survive long enough to figure out we were surrounded by germs.

You are probably picking up more germs touching you computer keyboard than you would from drinking water out of the toilet, and no one thinks twice about that.

Old 03-04-2006, 09:49 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

MaxOT26 HB User

[QUOTE=eDeal But unless you immune system is compromised, refilling a plastic bottle is not going to hurt you.[/QUOTE]

If you live, eat, and breath in modern society your immune system is compromised. It is not the germs that are the issue with reusing plastic water bottles. Certain types of plastic will break down over time especially when they are in water which is a very effective solvent. Needless to say drinking dissolved plastic particles is not favorable to your health (cancer). As far as I know Nalgene bottles are safe, but you can probaly email the company and ask for some research on it to be sure.

Old 03-04-2006, 03:37 PM   #11
(male)

lelu HB User

We used the same bottle for months/years... been doing that for years.

Big reason.... we seldom buy bottle water so we reuse the bottles we get.

Probably the biggest rip off in the country is for bottle water. It is no better than city water unless you live in one of the few areas that have bad tasting water. Then you may need simple carbon filter to improve the taste.

Old 03-04-2006, 06:07 PM   #12

brucen32 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOT26
If you live, eat, and breath in modern society your immune system is compromised. It is not the germs that are the issue with reusing plastic water bottles. Certain types of plastic will break down over time especially when they are in water which is a very effective solvent. Needless to say drinking dissolved plastic particles is not favorable to your health (cancer). As far as I know Nalgene bottles are safe, but you can probaly email the company and ask for some research on it to be sure.
Well of course the company will say it's safe. I'm just talking about studies done on Nalgene Lexan bottles that showed they have a chemical that might leech off from the plastic. Only the Lexan bottles though...the nice looking hard plastic ones.

Old 03-04-2006, 11:21 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

MaxOT26 HB User

I know they will say it is safe that is why I suggested that you ask for the research on their products. I don't know how Nalgene is but, many decent companies will have independent research that they can back their products up with. I don't know about the Lexan bottles. I don't use Nalgene bottles personally, but if I where you I would dig into the the company about it.

Closed Thread