It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2005, 11:08 AM   #1
(male)

JStigs HB User
Suggestions on my workout/diet?

I am 6'3, 195lbs, 22yr old male. A month ago I was at 205, since then I have started a regular workout schedule. I am already noticing a huge increase in my energy levels, my pants are looser, and my upper body has never been this built. I would like to continue and increase these results.

I am looking to add some mass to my upper body (I have always been blessed with muscular legs) and take some of the college fat off of my stomach.

My workouts consist of alternating days of upper body lifting and cardio (30-45mins). Is it a good idea to do a light amount of cardio (20-30mins) on weight days?

My diet is the weak part of my plans. I just recently started (this week) the 5 small meals/snacks a day routine. Is a protein shake (https://www.muscleshoppe.com/site/details.cfm?id=5596) an adequate replacement for a meal or two (on weight days)?

I eat a very small breakfast: cereal bar, granola bar, small bag of dry cereal, piece of fruit

a moderate lunch: salad, grilled chicken, chili, tuna salad

a small late afternoon snack: same as breakfast

a good-sized dinner, and usually my protein shake a bit before

and later at night (if I feel the need) a small snack such as a PB sandwich

I have cut out foods like french fries, pizza, anything greasy. I also drink about 2 liters of water a day, and take a multivitamin in addition to the protein. My commute to/from work and lunch has me walking about 3 miles a day total, in addition to the running.

Any small bits of advice on my workout or diet would be appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2005, 11:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChappyBoy HB User
Re: Suggestions on my workout/diet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStigs
I eat a very small breakfast: cereal bar, granola bar, small bag of dry cereal, piece of fruit

I eat a very small breakfast: cereal bar, granola bar, small bag of dry cereal, piece of fruit - Bad! poor choice of carbs, no protein - try 6 egg whites, bowl of plain oatmeal

Add a MRP shake mid morning - every three hours you need food

a moderate lunch: salad, grilled chicken, chili, tuna salad - OK

a small late afternoon snack: same as breakfast - Bad same reason - Try MRP shake here as well

a good-sized dinner, and usually my protein shake a bit before - Make dinner chicken, brown rice steamed veggies for an example

and later at night (if I feel the need) a small snack such as a PB sandwich Bad -try for just a protein source like more egg whites or a pure protein shake

Other notes -

Train body parts once per week, don't skip legs, try to do cardio on non-lifting days ( look into HIIT training for cardio)

Last edited by ChappyBoy; 03-30-2005 at 11:40 AM.

Old 03-30-2005, 11:51 AM   #3
(male)

JStigs HB User

I actually just bought a bunch of oatmeal for breakfasts.

My breakfast is at 9:00 when I get to work, and I go to lunch around 12-12:30 so I wouldn't be putting a meal there.

Any suggestions for MRP shakes?

What is HIIT training?

thanks!

Old 03-30-2005, 12:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChappyBoy HB User

Try to get a meal in right when you get up. Peopledont realize how important this is you need good quality protein IMMEDIATELY. I know people on the bodybuilding circuit who literally drink a shake in bed upon waking.

MRP - most are pretty good. I like the Lee Lebrada stuff - Lean body because of the seetners in it ( no aspertame)

HIIT- High intensity interval training - check any search engine to get a routine. There is good scientific evidence that supports this workput for maximal fat loss with muscle retention.

Old 03-30-2005, 01:43 PM   #5
(male)

JStigs HB User

Great.

One more question...how long after my weight training should the protein be taken? I hear "immediately" the most often, but on the label of the whey it says to wait an hour, and then another one three hours after the workout. Also, if I'll be taking protein beforehand, how far in advance?

Do you think I would be better off working on getting rid of my gut first, and then adding mass, or continue slowly getting both at the same time?

Old 03-30-2005, 01:53 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChappyBoy HB User

Protein immediately after workout. The was a theory to wait which was based on GH secretion. Its crap. Get the protein as fast as possible. i try to get a small meal 1.5 to 2 hr prior to the workout.

Trying to gain lean mass and lose fat will only work for a brief period. Optimally I would try to cyut the fat while maintaining as much lean mass as possible and then go for growth with limiting fat additions.

Old 03-30-2005, 03:40 PM   #7
Veteran

rach12 HB User

Chappy Boy - - Great advice for him. That is alomost exactly what I would have said to do. {removed}

Last edited by moderator2; 03-30-2005 at 03:56 PM. Reason: please read the rules about naming professions - the boards are opinions only

Old 03-30-2005, 05:37 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStigs
I am 6'3, 195lbs, 22yr old male. A month ago I was at 205, since then I have started a regular workout schedule. I am already noticing a huge increase in my energy levels, my pants are looser, and my upper body has never been this built. I would like to continue and increase these results.

I am looking to add some mass to my upper body (I have always been blessed with muscular legs) and take some of the college fat off of my stomach.

My workouts consist of alternating days of upper body lifting and cardio (30-45mins). Is it a good idea to do a light amount of cardio (20-30mins) on weight days?

My diet is the weak part of my plans. I just recently started (this week) the 5 small meals/snacks a day routine. Is a protein shake (https://www.muscleshoppe.com/site/details.cfm?id=5596) an adequate replacement for a meal or two (on weight days)?

I have cut out foods like french fries, pizza, anything greasy. I also drink about 2 liters of water a day, and take a multivitamin in addition to the protein. My commute to/from work and lunch has me walking about 3 miles a day total, in addition to the running.

Any small bits of advice on my workout or diet would be appreciated. Thank you.
My advice would be to reverse the amount of food you eat at your meals. Make breakfast a big meal, lunch--moderate, and dinner small. Small snacks (100-200 calories in between, with some protein source included). Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, gives you energy for the day ahead. Bad idea to save your calories for the end of the day when it's unlikely that you will be able to burn them off. Better to consume about 2/3 of your daily calories by after lunchtime.

Old 03-30-2005, 08:25 PM   #9
(male)

tidus 007 HB User

your weight seems fine as your pretty tall, so just keep it up.

Old 03-31-2005, 06:08 AM   #10
(male)

JStigs HB User

I've always been really skinny growing up. Once I got to college, and stopped playing sports year round I put on noticeable weight in my stomach and face. I was always lucky enough to be able to eat what I wanted and not worry about it. Now I can tell I'm getting old, and sitting at a desk most of the day doesn't help.

Another question, while I am working on burning off some of this fat, would it be better to change my lifting to higher reps/less weight?

Thanks for all the advice, especially on my diet.

Old 03-31-2005, 06:14 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChappyBoy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rita
My advice would be to reverse the amount of food you eat at your meals. Make breakfast a big meal, lunch--moderate, and dinner small. Small snacks (100-200 calories in between, with some protein source included). Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, gives you energy for the day ahead. Bad idea to save your calories for the end of the day when it's unlikely that you will be able to burn them off. Better to consume about 2/3 of your daily calories by after lunchtime.
If you eat then right foods you can eat evenly divided meals (calorie wise) I would shift the macronutrients at the end of the day so the last meal is protein. Also if you workout in the evening you will need a good dose of protein post workout ( depending on goals some carbs and fats as well) Its never a good idea to add an abundance of calories to one meal over another, anything you cant use will be stored. the overall idea is to start the "furnace effect" keep shoveling fuel (calories) on the fire (metabolism).

Old 03-31-2005, 08:06 AM   #12
(male)

JStigs HB User

What are some good cost effective MRP's? And what flavors do you recommend?

Closed Thread