It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2005, 04:55 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

frustrated35 HB User
What's the best ab exercise?

My workout buddy and I are always looking for ways to change up things. When working abs, we use the ab machine, stability ball, and incline bench. These are getting too easy for me and she's not feeling the burn like I am, but I can't explain to her how to tighten her core. I can feel the burn in the upper part, but need some advice on how to feel the burn lower. I know it's one muscle, but how do I make the burn feel all over?

Thanks!

Old 04-03-2005, 05:59 PM   #2
(female)

zeez HB User
Lightbulb Re: What's the best ab exercise?

I don't know that it's the best, but it's one I used to do for lower abs. Lay on your back with your palms down by your side. Put your legs straight up and "press" your heels to the ceiling and hold as long as you can. It's simple and requires no equipment. There is no movement - just hold your legs at a 90 degree angle and keep your butt off the ground as long as you can! Doesn't look like much but it is. Good luck!
~zeez

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2005, 06:04 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

frustrated35 HB User
Re: What's the best ab exercise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeez
I don't know that it's the best, but it's one I used to do for lower abs. Lay on your back with your palms down by your side. Put your legs straight up and "press" your heels to the ceiling and hold as long as you can. It's simple and requires no equipment. There is no movement - just hold your legs at a 90 degree angle and keep your butt off the ground as long as you can! Doesn't look like much but it is. Good luck!
~zeez
Thanks! Sound simple enough to do at home while watching Desperate HW's!

Old 04-03-2005, 06:53 PM   #4
(female)

zeez HB User

Oh, you are more than welcome! Another one I used to do is where you lay on your back, with your legs up like before except you bring them out to a V. Then you do crunches with your arms straight between your legs. It's a great stretch for your inner thighs and works both lower and upper (mostly upper) abs. You gotta have a lot of space because your legs are all over the place. I would do that at the gym in a private corner where guys weren't around, ya know!

I had read somewhere that the two best ab exercises are the bicycle and the "Captain's Chair". The bicycle is the old-fashioned excercise where you lay on your back and alternately bring knee-to-elbow, straightening the leg after each touch. Now the captain's chair is a piece of equipment at a gym that I've never seen. Mind you, that's what I've read. I think whatever excercise works best for you is the best. What I am using now is the ab machine at the gym that has a roller bar that goes against your chest that you press down against. That works great for me. Good luck!
~zeez

Old 04-03-2005, 09:08 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hitmen HB User

The bicycle is probably the best "overall" ab exercise IMO.

Old 04-04-2005, 07:37 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Ding HB User

to work more of your overall ab area, you can also add pelvic tilt moves into regular sit ups to make the lower part of the abs work. lie on the floor like usual, but as you raise your shoulders off the ground lift lift your bottom slightly off the ground at the same time, then squeeze the muscles and return.

Closed Thread