It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2005, 07:18 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

frustrated35 HB User
Retain a lot of water weight

I've noticed over the years that I am retaining more water weight throughout the day. I will lose it during the night, but is there anything safe I can take during the day to not feel so puffy? Or is this just a woman thing and I have to deal with it? I can get on a scale one day if I'm retaining a lot of water and weigh 3 lbs or more heavier than the next day if I'm not retaining water. It's not a monthly thing either. I don't have monthly periods, just 4/year and since I've been doing that I'm not retaining the water during that time anymore. Weird!

Old 04-04-2005, 10:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: Retain a lot of water weight

You need to increase your water *intake* and watch your sodium. If you drink more water, your body will be more wiling to flush rather than hold onto it. Keeping salty foods down will help a lot too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2005, 11:29 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

frustrated35 HB User

Thanks Naxis - I do drink tons of water, but maybe it's not enough. I usually go through 5 or 6 bottles per day and have to pee all night because of it. Could it be possible that my body holds onto it until night time? I can easily put down 2 bottles at the gym alone. I don't use salt (never acquired the taste) and do watch the sodium labels. Do you happen to know the amount of mgs I should stay under? I wish I could cut sodium out all together, but it is in everything!

Thanks!

Old 04-04-2005, 12:45 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

you dont want to avoid it altogether. you body needs it but the modern diet is usually laden with it. If you have a minor to moderate intake then that shouldnt be the problem and Id say you're definitely drinking a lot of water already. Some water retention is normal and necessary. What specifically is causing you concern? Just the bloaty feeling?

Old 04-04-2005, 12:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChappyBoy HB User

Sodium is needed by the body to survive. You actually need .5 to 2.4 grams per day. The American diet usually far exceeds this without table salt (which by the way is a negligable amouamount compared to whats in foods) The condition of too litle salt is called hyponatremia, very rare but not fun to have your electrolytes out of whack.

Old 04-04-2005, 12:58 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

frustrated35 HB User

I guess the concern is the bloated puffy miserable feeling (like i'm over eating) and the fact that I weigh more when I'm retaining water. The problem was worse until my doc said to lay off the dairy and ever since that has made a hugh difference. I drink soy milk and only 1 slice of cheese with a sandwich.

I just thought of this, but my allergies have been so bad lately and I've been taking Zyrtec (sp?) evernight, so this might be causing the puffiness and retaining more water. Thanks for listening and I've read several of your posts which has helped with my exercise program and diet. I do have a trainer, but it's always nice to hear someone elses opinion. He's a great trainer, but taking more of a conservative approach due to my past knee injury and I'm ready to make some progress. But there's no way he'll push me and run the chance of another injury on his watch. I'm almost where I want to be, just getting a little anxious. Only 3% more body fat to lose. Thanks again!

Old 04-04-2005, 01:19 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Ahh... allergies. I have the exact same problem. Dropping dairy is a good step and keeping away from most carbs except green veggies helps me (and a couple cups of tea act as a bit of a diuretic). Mostly I just suffer through it till Spring is through. Claritin used to help, but nothing really works anymore. :\ good luck.

Closed Thread