It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2005, 11:38 AM   #1

phillydude HB User
One step forward, two steps back.

I completed my first 10K race on Sunday in "reasonable" time: 53.45. I'm pretty happy with my progress in the "endurance" sports (running and cycling), and with the exception of a sometimes "stiff" knee (which I have learned to manage) I'm looking forward to a summer of competitive and recreational events in both sports.

On the other hand, I am a bit frustrated with my progress in the weight training and weight loss efforts. I did some analysis on my exercise plan and my nutritional intake, and I realized I am probably eating WAY too little given my current level of training... maybe as much as 200-300 calories a day! I also felt very tired towards the end of the week, and actually skipped a weight training session on Friday night for the first time in eight weeks. I slept about 14 hours yesterday (a two hour nap after the race, then 12 hours last night) so I feel a bit better today.

Last Wednesday I reached my "goal" weight of 175lbs, and my body fat was 18%. By the end of the weekend, however, I was back up to 180lbs. I also noticed my muscles looked rather "flat" as well, so I think I probably set myself back by undereating in an effort to get to the goal weight, and burned off some muscle as a result. I did "carb load" a bit throughout the weekend for my Sunday morning race, and I did treat myself to a bit of chocolate cake afterwards, but still... it was a drag to get on the scale and look in the mirror this morning and see all my success over the past few weeks virtually "disappear."

But this emphasizes the importance of careful planning and regular monitoring of my progress... being able to catch mistakes and make adjustments. I'm going to eat an extra meal each day to see if that "jump starts" my fat loss again (combined with a little extra "cardio" work), and next week I am going to start a new weight training routine which hopefully will bring some muscle mass back fairly quickly. I'm still optimistic I can reach my goals (to be at 175lbs with 15% body fat, and complete a 10 mile run in less than 90 minutes, on May 1st), but it's going to take work. Any feedback?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2005, 12:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChappyBoy HB User
Re: One step forward, two steps back.

Hey Philly good job on the race - Lets see a post of the current diet and the current work out. One word of caution (without all the facts yet) sounds like some overtraining symptoms. Sometimes a break is more neceassary than more exercise. I'll wait for the next post before I throw in my 2 cents.

Old 04-04-2005, 01:07 PM   #3

phillydude HB User

Last week I kept an 1800 calorie a day diet Mon-Fri, with a 45-45-10 ratio. As I mentioned, I kind of blew the diet out on Saturday and Sunday... probably 2500 calories each day, craving more carbs (especially sugary ones).

I ran a total of 13 miles at 8:40 pace, and biked a total of 40 miles at a 13.5mph pace. I also weight trained twice for 45 minutes each time, and did a 30 minute interval session on the stationary bike.

I also thought it might be overtraining, but it was more a lack of energy towards the end of the week (especially Friday) than it was lack of motivation to train. I really think 1800 calories was too low, especially since I did almost double my running mileage from the week before. I'm probably not getting enough carbs and fat into my diet either... so I'm paying more attention to those areas with my increased calorie intake this week (I'm going to try 2100 calories a day, with a 50-35-15 ratio).

Old 04-04-2005, 01:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChappyBoy HB User

wow that is low for my liking - especially with that amount of exercise. I would have the calories closer to 3000 -3500. At 1800 you are definately in a neg nitrogen balance even if you are eating 1800 calories of perfect foods. I'd still be willing to bet the lack of energy was overtraining just based on the nutrition I doubt you are able to rebuild from the stress.

Old 04-04-2005, 02:21 PM   #5

phillydude HB User

Yeah well... as I mentioned, I am still trying to drop body fat, so 3000 calories a day definitely would be too much. As far as eating the "perfect" foods, I feel like I'm doing a really good job of getting everything I need, nutrient-wise, and I am taking a pretty hefty vitamin stack twice a day too.

By the way... the ZMA has definitely been giving me a much deeper sleep... aside from that, however, no noticable benefits in any other area.

Old 04-04-2005, 03:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Deeper sleep? No kidding. When do you take it?
PS. Grats on the race.

Old 04-05-2005, 04:47 AM   #7

phillydude HB User

I generally take it about 15 minutes before I go to bed. And I noticed that when I take it I wake up feeling more like I really got some quality rest, as opposed to my usual "go to sleep and wake up kinf of sleepy" feeling.

Funny thing...you're SUPPOSED to take it on a an empty stomach, and you are SUPPOSED to take it an hour after you've had any calcium, two things which are counter to the "eat some cottage cheese right before you go to bed" idea. So I'm not taking the ZMA every night... and there definitely is a difference on the nights I take it and the nights I don't.

Old 04-05-2005, 05:32 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChappyBoy HB User

Philly we have to agree to disagree on this one - For losing weight I would start you no less then 3000 calories especially with your expenditure - key is the right calories at the right time.

Closed Thread