It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2005, 04:48 PM   #1
(male)

DMN HB User
No Pain!!!

OK.......This is quite strange.

A day or two after my lower body workout I usualy have disxomfort. Doctors use that word (discomfort) as a euphamism for PAIN. Same with upper body workout and ab workout. It's no biggie. In fact, it lets me know I did a good job in the workout.

For the last week and a half the "discomfort" has been very, very minimal and has NOT lasted into the second day, even though at the time of my workouts I have felt that I have really worked the desired muscle groups.

So......what's going on here? Why is my recovery time being cut in half? Is it due to clean living, allignment of the stars, baseball season starting again, the tides?

Also......If I workout and the next day I have little recovery "discomfort", can I work the same muscle groups again right away....without my typical 2 to 3 day rest? Or...by doing that, do I risk overtraining?

Thanks!

--
John

Old 04-04-2005, 05:19 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

frustrated35 HB User
Re: No Pain!!!

That's a great question! I don't have the answer, just can tell you my experience. When I find that I'm not in as much "discomfort" (as you say) I feel I haven't worked anything, but my trainer insists that I have, but that's usually when it's time to change things up. I will work the same area, but use a different machine or free weights.

As far as working the same muscle groups the next day....my trainer is against it for me (female, just trying to tone and lose body fat) but might be different for you guys. Someone else will have to put in their 2 cents here. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2005, 06:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

If you are training to build muscle you need to wait 48 hours to work the same muscle group again or it will not have time to heal and grow. That is the time when the muscles heal and build up. When you are lifting you are tearing the muscle down. They need time to build back up again. If you do this every 48 hours and stick to the same routine you will not have muscle soreness after a while like you are experiencing. If you went every 3 days then you would have muscle soreness again after a workout.

Old 04-04-2005, 07:25 PM   #4
(male)

tidus 007 HB User

No Pain No Gain Hahahahaahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Old 04-05-2005, 05:28 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChappyBoy HB User

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS) usually lasts one to two days. As your body adapts to the stress you will see less DOMS. It is crucial to have some type of change to your workout to make progress (speed, weight, intensity, volume al of these are options for manipulation.)

Also the end of DOMS does not in anyway mean the muscle is recovered and ready to be trained again. I train a muscle group once a week for growth. You be the judge are you getting stronger at least every two workouts? If not something is wrong (unless you are in a cutting/dieting mode)

Old 04-05-2005, 09:56 AM   #6
(male)

Sir Charles HB User

I have another question about this. I have alterations to my routine every time just about and only lift body parts once a week heavy and once a week light giving at least 3 days rest in between, and I still do not have much soreness at all. If you don't have soreness are you not building muscle? I feel soreness when I flex a particular muscle the day after I've worked it, but I don't have soreness when static. For every body part I usually do about 12-20 sets of 8-12 reps. For example I work triceps out after chest and I do around 5 different exercises 4 sets of 10-12 reps, and the next day I don't feel all that sore, but I know I'm pushing them hard, because often times I have trouble just finishing reps.

Thanks for any help with this, regards

Old 04-05-2005, 10:46 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChappyBoy HB User

First no technically it is not necessary to have DOMS to make gains. Are you getting stronger on your heavy days (at least every two to three weeks)? Strength is a great indicator of progress. Your volume/routine is a little high for my likes. I use a form of non linear periodization that focuses on strength and low reps 2-5 one week and then on intensity and volume the second week. (10-25 reps) This has worked tremendously for me and I use it with most of my clients

Old 04-05-2005, 10:53 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Up to 25 reps per set? At what % of max?

Old 04-05-2005, 11:39 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChappyBoy HB User

Those would really technically be warm up sets. for example here is my leg workout:

Heavy week:
Squats
plenty of warmups
405 x 5 moderate
455 x 5 heavy
495 x 5 start to taste splein
525 x 2 might have to vomit (every workout shoot for 5-10lbs more)

Followed by Heavy stiff leg deads
275 x 5
315 x 5
325 x 5
340x 2

Weeks two is volume:
Leg press
90 x 25
180 x 25
270 x 25
360 x25
450 x 20
540 x 15
630 x 15
720 x 10 no rest during set and 1 min in between

Leg ext.
100x 15
120x 12
140 x 10
160 x 10

followed by 1 set of 360 leg press shooting for 50 reps

Then leg curl - very similar to leg extension.

Gee- I should post why I like this- This is non-linear periodization at its finest. If you were to squat every week and go for a near maximal effort you would over train rather quickly. If you train the muscle in a contradictory method (Intense/volume vs. strength/low volume) you will allow for sufficient recovery from the power movements while limiting "true" rest from the movement. This program leads to growth and strength gains in a very short time with measurable results.

Last edited by ChappyBoy; 04-05-2005 at 11:43 AM.

Old 04-05-2005, 12:13 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Ah. Interesting. Thanks for the detailed info. I bow in respect of your hardcoreness.

Old 04-05-2005, 12:46 PM   #11
(male)

DMN HB User

>>You be the judge are you getting stronger at least every two workouts? If not something is wrong (unless you are in a cutting/dieting mode)

Well....this turned into a pretty good thread.

Yes Chqppy. About every second workout in a muscle group I am adding weight and reaching the reps I did on the third set at the lower weight.

This is getting very interesting.
--
John

Old 04-05-2005, 01:17 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChappyBoy HB User

Dont change a thing! There is a strength size correlation. The first thing I learned is that results are king. I have a friend 20+ year powerlifter, graduate degrees in exercise, Natl powerlifting titles - he's the real deal. His training defies everything I ever read, makes no sense at all, even he knows it. He won't train at the gym he works at because he is afraid his clients will see his personal method and emulate it. Results are all that matter - keep progress going!

Closed Thread