It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2005, 06:07 PM   #1

prnzcharmin HB User
Important Nutrition Question NAXIS!!! :)

I hate to bother you with yet ANOTHER question, but you are certainly full of great answers and I know are very appreciated in here.

I have hit this huge dilemma with regards to daily nutrition. I have set a goal that by January, 2006, I want to have my body fat % down to around 12-14%. Right now I am at about 25%. My plan is to lift (3) days and cardio (3) days. I *do* know how to eat clean, however I am entirely STUCK on what to eat day-to-day if that makes any sense. I want to consume around 2,000-2,200 calories per day, but am SICK of eating chicken every night, have not been able to come up with 2 or 3 different daily menus as far as what to eat so I am eating correctly, but not getting burned out if that makes any sense.

The protein shakes that I drink are Myoplex and have 42g of protein. On a cardio day, I drink just one. On a lift day, I drink one in the morning, and one following my workout. Could you PLEASE lay out at least a couple of menus (based on 5-6 meals per day including shakes)? I know soooo many people here including myself have asked eachother, "is this ok to eat, or is that ok...", but I don't recall actually seeing a full daily menu based on these goals (goals which are consistent with many of us in here I believe). Can you help me with this?? -Chris

Last edited by prnzcharmin; 04-04-2005 at 06:08 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2005, 07:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: Important Nutrition Question NAXIS!!! :)

Do you have plain whey protein powder? Or only the EAS shakes? How much variation do you want? Different food every day for every meal? Just new dinners? Are you opposed to fish or eggs? (This can be ridiculously complicated if you're finicky )

Last edited by Naxis; 04-04-2005 at 07:29 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2005, 08:10 PM   #3

prnzcharmin HB User

As far as the shakes, they are the pre-made shakes, 300 calories, 70g fat and 42g protein.

As far as the rest goes, the dinners are the biggie, however to have a couple of days (breakfast, lunch, dinner--snacks in between) in their entirety as far as meal choices would be great! No one seems to lay that out much. I love fish AND eggs. I am single and keep pretty busy, as I think part of the hang up is finding time for meal preparation, etc. I would be willing to prepare meals, at least somewhat, but it has to be realistic.

However much info you are willing to post would be awesome! Thanks again...This will really help me!! -Chris

Old 04-04-2005, 08:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Typically I wouldn't lay out a daily menu as a general plan for just anyone to follow (like muscle mags are wont to do) because it is very individual based on stats and goals. I'll try to give some "sample days" based on your calorie/protein needs.
1. What's your current weight?
2. What time do you usually work out?

Old 04-04-2005, 09:24 PM   #5

prnzcharmin HB User

Current weight: 177
Workouts: CARDIO: Early A.M. / Lifting: Either lunchtime or evening after 5:00

Old 04-05-2005, 12:56 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

I should be charging you for this.
okay. so you ought to be getting about 130-180g of protein a day. We'll do a breakdown into 5 meals a day, the pre-workout food and post workout shake on lifting days is #6.

Meal 1:
1 c. oatmeal - 300 cal, 13 g pro, 54g carb
Can use cream of wheat or steel cut oats also.
4 egg whites - 70 cal, 14.5g pro, 0 carb, 0 fat
1 whole egg - 80 cal, 7g pro, .5 carb, 5g fat
(hard boiled is easy to prepare before hand, but egg 'substitute' in the cartons makes quick and easy fat free omelettes or scrambles - feel free to add veggies to this for more nutrition)

Meal 2:
Shake - 300 calories, 70g fat and 42g protein (that has to be a typo... maybe 7g fat?)

Meal 3:
can of tuna - 150 cal, 37g pro, 0g carb, 1g fat
(bbq sauce, salsa, mustard etc can dress this up)
veggies - broccoli, spinach, green beans, kale - something fibrous and fresh
1/4 c. whole kernel almonds - 210 cal, 8g pro, 7g carb, 18g fat
(walnuts are good too)

Meal 4:
2 Grilled Vegetable Boca Burger patties - 140 cal, 24g pro,
or
1 can tuna/chicken (on salad if you want) 150 cal, 37g pro, 0g carb, 1g fat
and
small spinach salad with fresh green veggies + 1 tbsp flax/olive/Udo's oil - veggies generally are very low cal, oil has 120 cal, 13g fat, 0 pro, 0 carb
lemon or vinegar are good dressings (if using balsamic, keep it minimal as it contains sugar)
or
1 cup baked sweet potato - 180 cal, 4g pro, 41g carb, 0g fat

Meal 5: - minimal carbs, limit to veggies, your choice
6 oz. salmon, baked or steamed - 350 cal, 37g pro, 0 carb, 21g fat
or
4 oz. mackerel, baked or steamed - 296 cal, 27g pro, 0g carb, 20g fat
or
1.5 cups chopped turkey breast, 300 cal, 63g pro, 0g carb, 2.5 g fat
or
lean cut beef, fat trimmed, grilled (will vary depending on cut and size)
or
egg omelette etc, etc.

On lifting days, eat an apple or 1/2c oatmeal 30-45 minutes before going to the gym and have your shake right afterward. Just put it inbetween meals where appropriate.

This is very basic and to be completely honest, I don't have the time to dole out days of meal plans. The best thing you can do is to figure out how many calories and what sort of macronutrient ratio you want for each meal and then come up with several options so that you don't burn out and all you have to do is mix and match. So when you want to add a carb, you have potato, or rice and beans, or carrots and peas. For protein you have scrabmled eggs, or turkey, or fish... etc. The USDA website is good for getting nutrition info on non-packaged food.
To save time, do all your veggie cutting and food cooking on say, Sunday and stick your portions in baggies or Gladware into the fridge or freezer until you are ready to eat it. It makes things so much easier.
I hope that's at least helpful. It's close to your calorie request and definitely meets your protein needs. make sure you're drinking a lot of water too.

Old 04-05-2005, 09:52 AM   #7

prnzcharmin HB User

WOW! I imagine you probably *do* charge for this stuff as this sounds like your profession!

First off, THANK YOU for taking the time to do that. I know that is huge, and if you didn't have a passion for what you do, I wouldn't even have asked! This is good because as I mentioned, so often people ask questions about one particular type of food or another, but rarely do you see a 5-6 meal day with options. I will definitely use this as an example as well as mix-and-match template. You da bomb! Thanks again; -Chris

Old 04-05-2005, 11:49 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

NP. Lemme know how it works out, and don't forget to re-check your weight and bf% every 3-4 weeks and recalculate you calorie needs and adjust diet accordingly.

Old 04-05-2005, 02:28 PM   #9

prnzcharmin HB User

I will certainly do that, and thanks again.

Also, just to make sure we are on the same page, as far as my cardio goes, it consists of a (6.2) mile steady run (about and hour). I do it first thing in the morning on a glass of water only and plan to do this (3) days per week. Is this sufficient for what I am looking to acheive in relation to what I am eating, etc? -Chris

Old 04-05-2005, 02:39 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

You should eat a little something beforehand if you have that long of a cardio session or you're definitely going to be losing muscle which is super bad. If there's any way to stick a meal an hour or two before cardio, that would be ideal. But ig you go before work or just cant schedule it that way, it's understandable. In thatcase, maybe some tuna, whey, egg or small apple to prevent muscle wasting. You'll still be burning fat, but with less risk to hard earned muscle mass. Also consider a little coffee or tea for energy and to help mobilize stored fatty acids for use as energy during your cardio.

Old 04-06-2005, 12:49 PM   #11

prnzcharmin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naxis
You should eat a little something beforehand if you have that long of a cardio session or you're definitely going to be losing muscle which is super bad.
I thought you mentioned that as long as the cardio didn't exceed an hour, that it was ok, as long as there is protein intake immediately following? I am not doing high-intensity, however I *am* running first thing in the morning (at around 5:45am). It would be hard to schedule a meal before that as you understand.

What if I ran in the evenings instead, say at least 2 hours following the previous meal? Would there be the same cardio benefit or at least *somewhat* to that of running in the morning? -Chris

Old 04-06-2005, 01:08 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

I'm refining my stance on that. If it's a lower intensity, you can probably get away with it, but you might consider a couple egg whites at least - that's what I do, personally. Protein is less likely to be converted to glucose, but will provide aminos your body is looking for if it were to use muscle. Higher intensity requires more glucose and will move into muscle tissue more quickly so keep that in mind if you are in the higher HR range - you just want to try to burn fat efficiently without risking too much muscle loss. Evening would be fine too. There's nothing particularly magic about morning cardio except the low blood sugar, and yes, having not eaten for a couple hours beforehand will do the same thing. Should be fine.

Closed Thread