It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2005, 07:49 PM   #1
(male)

greenleaved HB User
Amino Acid Pills? What's the Deal?

I've been lifting weights since November and have been going consistantly and keeping a great routine down...i run every day after lifting weights for 2 miles just to burn those extra calories..i've been drinking protein shakes daily since february and really think it helped me out a lot in building muscle...

now ive heard that its also a good idea to take amino acids, but went to GNC and looked at them, and there's a few different kinds...do any of you have any information on what should be taken for what purposes? any information would be great

my goal is to build mass and strength and lose some weight (as if im any different from anyone else )

thanks a lot for any help

also if u know of any other supplements that would prove helpful that'd be great...

Old 04-04-2005, 10:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: Amino Acid Pills? What's the Deal?

Taking free aminos is kind of pointless. You might as well just take/eat protein and get the full range of aminos. The only amino supplement of any value, IMHO is BCAAs and those would serve you best after weights, before running or before bed. The Branched Chain Amino Acids are the ones that the body will use for fuel in the absence of carbohydrates (it will also use fat, but you want to minimize muscle wasting). But again, getting a total protein from whey, casein or food is probably much cheaper and generally easier.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2005, 06:30 AM   #3
(male)

greenleaved HB User

ok...and since im taking these 50mg of protein shakes, is my body able to digest all that protein in one dose, or is a good part of it 'comin out the other end?'

is there somthing i should be taking to aide the diegestion of the protein?

may sound stupid, but im clueless.

Old 04-05-2005, 08:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

50 mg? Do you mean that there are 50 *grams* of protein per shake? If that's the case, that's really more than your body can use at once and no other supplement will change protein's usability. Might just make a smaller shake.

Old 04-05-2005, 10:35 AM   #5
(male)

greenleaved HB User

ha...yea 50grams

well, it's Isopure, and that's what the directions say to do...would you recommend cuttin it down a little bit?

Old 04-05-2005, 10:41 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChappyBoy HB User

The body can assimilate around 30-35 Grams at a time - Just because you put in 50G doesnt't mean you will be able to use all 50Grams (based on the PER of a protein some is not useable. To get adequate amounts I try for 42-45 grams- 50 is slightly high but nothing to be concerned about.

Closed Thread