It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2005, 07:11 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

juicylicious HB User
Question its all so very confusing to me..

greetings.
i am trying to get back in shape, after a little bit of 'hibernation' during the winter months. i estimate i have about 10lbs of body fat to lose, and i would like to gain a bit of lean muscle mass. reading through these posts, i am becoming a bit confused about the best way to go about this.
exercise:
i have read that it is impossible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, however, if i am just losing weight it will impossible to keep it off if i dont gain some muscle ( ie, the negative effects of fad diets). i enjoying lifting weights, but my goal is definately to shed the excess body fat. so it seems that i should stop lifting weights until i have lost the weight (as since i will need a calorie deficit to lose fat, i will not really be gaining anything by lifting weights since it wont form muscle mass?). Another question i have is about cardio... in order to burn fat, i thought that you needed to rid your body of all of the excess glucose stored in your muscles before your body would begin to burn fat so it therefore is a good idea to do a high intensity warm-up (like 15 minutes) and then switch to a work-out that is in your target heart-rate range (the cardio machine says its 128 for me)...but how long should this fat burning workout be? i have gathered from these boards not longer than 1 hour. the thing is, i cant seem to stay within the target heart rate range, because its really slow and boring for me. i would be much happier running at 7-7.5 mph for an hour (but apparently this would be not effective at fat-burning?) than shlump along to maintain 128 bpm. also, i do kickboxing and oher aerobics classes that get my heart beating much much higher than running does...should i avoid these? i really really enjoy them though, and they are a nice break from running.
And now for nutrition questions...
usually i try and exercise first thing in the morning before eating, then staggering my eating so breakfast is the biggest, lunch big and dinner quite small. the thing is, with a small dinner, working out first thing in the morning is on a really empty stomach, and i have heard that maybe this isnt the best thing? ( sometimes if i have just had a salad for dinner the night before, i feel a bit light-headed working out in the morning, but i dont want to eat before my workout and jepardise the fat-burning process...) is there a certain duration of exercise, ie less than 20 minutes of cardio, that will have no impact on fat-burning, and i would be better off to just do a few long workouts if i only have time to squeeze in a short one?
protein:also, should i really being worrying about my protein intake since apparently i will not be able to build muscle since i am aiming for a calorie deficit?
fruit: i really like fruit, and i try to avoid bread, rice, pasta, etc, but i eat probably up to 300 calories in fruit a day- mostly low GI things like berries. i have heard that fruit is a no-no, but i really like it, it keeps me from being tempted from other things that i would consider really bad (cookies and cake)and the equivalent calories in a chocolate-made-from-protein-concotion does not appeal to me at all. (i did atkins for awhile and now detest protein bars). plus, i think fruit has alot important vitamins and minerals in it, no? is it ok to eat the fruit as long as i am still not consuming too many calories, ie going over my daily allowance? anyways, my question is if this fruit-love is going to prevent me from getting lean as it would violate a low-carb way of eating. surely there must be some lean people out there that eat fruit...anyone? is it better to eat it early on in the day....does it matter at all if i eat right before bed? aahhhh...so many questions, so many seeming contradictions....please help me! in the past i have put alot of effort into reaching my goal but havent been able to get there, so i would really like to do things the most efficient and effective way...i really apologise if any of my presumptions about exercise and nutrition have caused anyone to bang their head against their computer screen in frustration over my ignorance... i really need the final word on these things.. if you got this far, thanks for reading...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2005, 10:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: its all so very confusing to me..

You have a lot of misconceptions here. It is not impossible to build muscle and lose fat at the same time, but as you become conditioned it is extremely difficult. In fact, if you are just starting out or just getting back into fitness after a long hiatus, then it is actually fairly easy right at the beginning because your body has to create a fit starting point. Even at the point where muscle gains and fat loss plateau and you decide work toward fat loss, you still need to work on muscle MAINTENANCE at least. That said, you absolutely need to be concerned about keeping up with weights and protein intake, even when muscle gain isn't the goal. So resistance training is just as important as cardio. Don't overemphasize aerobics or you will lose muscle mass which is obviously not what you want.

It is okay to eat before working out in the morning, ESPECIALLY if you tend to become light headed. That's a bad sign. You will still burn fat even if you have glucose in your body. Low levels force your body to tap into fat stores a little sooner, but during cardio, it *will* use some fat no matter what you've eaten. A little protein before hand will help prevent muscle loss and a little low GI carbs will give you some energy and prevent blood sugar from getting dangerously low. Don't get too caught up in semantics and details here. If you keep a calorie deficit and do cardio, you'll lose fat. Don't be too concerned with the intensity of cardio, especially if you're more inclined to go for a higher intensity. Higher intensities do not stop fat burning. But since your body will tend to keep looking for more glucose, I'd say it's all the more important that you eat a little something before cardio in the morning. Or you can try HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) which is a very hard, very short cardio workout, but it is difficult to do all the time. It's better to throw in a couple times a week for variation.

Don't stress about fruit. It's true that it is higher sugar, but *as long as you are getting enough protein in your diet* I don't really think it will have severely negative effects, and of course it is nutritious. If you have your whole program down and are still not losing fat, you can always drop fruit for a week or so and see if it makes a difference. But since you're not trying to get into a competition leanness, I'd say you're okay. It is better to eat them earlier in the day as carbs/sugar at night have a higher likelihood of being stored as fat as your metabolism slows for the night.

If you want more specific help with diet and workouts, you can post your current program and there are a lot of very smart, helpful people here that can offer advice on how to make it more effective for you to reach your goals. Hope that was helpful.

Old 04-06-2005, 11:27 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

juicylicious HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naxis
You have a lot of misconceptions here. It is not impossible to build muscle and lose fat at the same time, but as you become conditioned it is extremely difficult. In fact, if you are just starting out or just getting back into fitness after a long hiatus, then it is actually fairly easy right at the beginning because your body has to create a fit starting point. Even at the point where muscle gains and fat loss plateau and you decide work toward fat loss, you still need to work on muscle MAINTENANCE at least. That said, you absolutely need to be concerned about keeping up with weights and protein intake, even when muscle gain isn't the goal. So resistance training is just as important as cardio. Don't overemphasize aerobics or you will lose muscle mass which is obviously not what you want.

It is okay to eat before working out in the morning, ESPECIALLY if you tend to become light headed. That's a bad sign. You will still burn fat even if you have glucose in your body. Low levels force your body to tap into fat stores a little sooner, but during cardio, it *will* use some fat no matter what you've eaten. A little protein before hand will help prevent muscle loss and a little low GI carbs will give you some energy and prevent blood sugar from getting dangerously low. Don't get too caught up in semantics and details here. If you keep a calorie deficit and do cardio, you'll lose fat. Don't be too concerned with the intensity of cardio, especially if you're more inclined to go for a higher intensity. Higher intensities do not stop fat burning. But since your body will tend to keep looking for more glucose, I'd say it's all the more important that you eat a little something before cardio in the morning. Or you can try HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) which is a very hard, very short cardio workout, but it is difficult to do all the time. It's better to throw in a couple times a week for variation.

Don't stress about fruit. It's true that it is higher sugar, but *as long as you are getting enough protein in your diet* I don't really think it will have severely negative effects, and of course it is nutritious. If you have your whole program down and are still not losing fat, you can always drop fruit for a week or so and see if it makes a difference. But since you're not trying to get into a competition leanness, I'd say you're okay. It is better to eat them earlier in the day as carbs/sugar at night have a higher likelihood of being stored as fat as your metabolism slows for the night.

If you want more specific help with diet and workouts, you can post your current program and there are a lot of very smart, helpful people here that can offer advice on how to make it more effective for you to reach your goals. Hope that was helpful.

thanks so much Naxis.... that cleared up alot of things for me. i have scheduled sessions with a personal trainer at the gym i go to so he is going to make up a lifting program for me. my cardio program so far has been dividing into big and small days. on a big day i run about 5 miles and do an hour long cardio class (like kickboxing), plus the walk to the gym (in total) is about 4 miles (although this doesnt really count). on a small day i will just do the run or the class, plus of course the walk. i try and split it up equally between the two at least 5 days a week. i eat about 1500 calories/ day. my bf is about 20% (my scale has a bf function), however i think this might be a bit distorted as i think i naturally tend to carry water weight as i find my size (ie how my clothes fit) can fluctuate drastically within the span of a few days. i am getting it measured at the gym next week so i will know more accurately the, i guess. also, i find when i am working out i drink alot of water, and i usually fill up my 1L water bottle about 5 times/ day....5L seems like a lot, is that cause for concern?

Old 04-06-2005, 11:51 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

That is WAY too much cardio. 2 or more hours is definitely excessive unless you're training for a marathon and eating accordingly. You need to cut cardio down to no more than an hour and eat before you go or you'll be losing a lot of muscle.
Your water intake looks good. I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 04-06-2005, 12:14 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

juicylicious HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naxis
That is WAY too much cardio. 2 or more hours is definitely excessive unless you're training for a marathon and eating accordingly. You need to cut cardio down to no more than an hour and eat before you go or you'll be losing a lot of muscle.
Your water intake looks good. I wouldn't worry about it.
hmm... but i thought that fat loss, at the end of day, was a result of a calorie deficit? and i am probably only burning about 750 calories from these activities, which is just slightly over the recommended 500.. not trying to be insubordinate, just curious. also, feeling really flabby right now i guess if i am just burning away muscle, it would make sense why i am not really seeing any results, or why i seem to gain weight relatively easily. i do find after i do a big cardio day i am super warm for the rest of the day... but not hungry at all. is my calories count ok? i find if i eat more, i gain weight. thanks so much for the advice Naxis. is an hour of cardio ok for weight lifting days?

Old 04-06-2005, 02:51 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Fat loss is a slow process. You can only realistically burn 2, maybe 3 pounds of fat a week. If you're losing more weight than that, it is muscle and obviously that is counterproductive. There's no magic and no shortcuts (if you consider 2 hours of cardio a 'shortcut'). 80% of fat loss is in the diet and overloading on cardio *will not* counter the effects of an unbalanced or a bad diet. Maybe post your current diet as precisely as you can (food, amount, time of day eaten, condiments, drinks etc) and we'll see if there's something that needs to be changed for more optimal results for you.

I didn't see a calorie count. Also, I don't know your stats - height, weight, age.

Also, if you're doing weights for 30-60 minutes before your cardio, I honestly wouldnt go more than 45 minutes, and have food or a shake as soon as you're done. That's a long time of a lot of activity to go without any nutrition and you really don't want to force your body into eating up muscle for fuel.

Last edited by Naxis; 04-06-2005 at 02:55 PM.

Closed Thread