It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2005, 10:11 PM   #1
(male)

tristanios HB User
is 30 minutes 6 days a week..........

i'm 312 pounds 6'3" male who is losing weight. I've hit a rut(one screw up day turned to 2 or 3 a week, you know the story) so since september of last year i've lost almost 50 pounds. I eat around 1400 to 1600 calories a day.
sample day
Breakfast
4 slices turkey bacon
1 cup life cereal w/1/2 cup 1% milk

snack
1 orange or 1 4oz cup of splenda flavored applesauce
-if i'm in a hurry,i have a nutrigrain bar-

lunch
4 oz salad greens 1/8 cup mixed cheese,1tbsp of mexiranch dressing
topped with 4 oz chipolte cubed chicken
1/2 cup cottage cheese

snack
-if i'm in a hurry,i have a nutrigrain bar-

supper
1 boneless,skinless chicken breast ,or 2 pc of microwaveable grilled fish
1 can green beans
1/2 cup of cottage cheese

I take a one a day multi "weightloss" formula multivitamin
I take one B supreme vitamin
I take 315 mg green tea supplement

I drink alot of water every day (more than the "minimum)

I used to go 2 miles a day on my gazelle, then my tredmill.
I may have outdone my self because I find i've gotten "sick" of working out.

My question is if I cut back to doing a half hour a day on my treadmill 6 days a week is that still enough exercise for weight loss?

Old 04-05-2005, 10:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: is 30 minutes 6 days a week..........

30 nminutes 6x a week is still fine, or go for a longer session 3 or 4 days a week? Do you do any weight training? But I have to tell you, your calories are WAY WAY TOO LOW. You will be losing significant muscle mass and ruining your metabolism eating so little. That how much I eat a day and I'm 5'6" 125 pounds. You honestly need to bump that up to at *least* 2500. Add more protein, definitely, and complex carbs. You're running a serious risk of going into the "starvation cycle".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2005, 06:24 AM   #3
(male)

tristanios HB User

Thank you for the reply. I'm very afraid of increasing my calorie intake because I used to eat thousands of calories a day. and it seems if I eat like this, and just goof up 1 or 2 meals a week I don't ever lose anymore. What foods should I add to my diet?

Old 04-06-2005, 06:27 AM   #4
(male)

tristanios HB User

and I do resistance bands on tuesdays a nd saturdays.
could I add a baked potato at supper?

Old 04-06-2005, 07:24 AM   #5
(male)

Nixona HB User

How about working in a can of tuna? That has TONS of good protein...Not sure on the applesauce, why not subsititute for a fresh apple with no sweeteners or preservatives?

Old 04-06-2005, 09:07 AM   #6
(male)

tristanios HB User

I have weak teeth, thaqt is why I eat applesauce over apples. Am I lacking in protein? what are some good complex carbs/

Old 04-06-2005, 10:57 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

You could nearly double the food you have there and still be losing weight, and you have almost no fat intake which is actually going to hinder progress believe it or not. I like that you have 5 meals. That is very helpful for keeping metaboilsm up and keeping you from being hungry. You could probably get away with a potato for dinner, but having it so late is not the best. If you can wiggle it into lunch, that would be better placement in theday. For breakfast, I'd add a cup of egg beaters or scramble up one whole egg and 5 egg whites. Or a couple hard boiled eggs. Just get some more protein in there. For your first snack add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of almonds or walnuts, or some jerkey. Double veggies/salad and chicken at lunch and maybe add some olive oil to get some unsaturated fats. How about a can of tuna and/or some rice and beans for second snack? Or oatmeal and nuts?
For dinner, more meat and/or more cottage cheese (note: cottage cheese is a great night time protein because it will burn slowly during the night). And like Nixona said, a can of tuna is a quick, cheap, easy way to get add in just 150 calories and 37 grams of protein. Easy to dress up with salsa, mustard, bbq sauce, balsamic vinegar... etc.

I know it feels counterintuitive to eat more when trying to lose weight, but you really are headed for disaster if you stay on this track.

Old 04-06-2005, 06:58 PM   #8
(male)

tristanios HB User

Thank you very much for your help. I was basing my diet around single servings and never thought I could double something and still lose weight. I know my calories were low, but This is the first time I have lost weight and Its very hard for me to eat alot because that is how I got to be 150 pounds overweight. I'll add what you suggested here(gotta have the potato at supper tho,lol) I'll do my resistance bands 3 times a week, and i'll do my treadmill 3o mins 6 days a week. thank you very much!!!

Old 04-06-2005, 08:19 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Good luck. Keep us posted on your progress.

Closed Thread