It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2005, 12:19 PM   #1
(female)

mommaoffour HB User
Too little calories=no weightloss????

Could someone please explain to me why if we eat too little calories then we will not lose weight but those that have had gastic bypass hardly eat and lose A LOT of weight? I just don't understand this and it doesn't make sense to me.
Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2005, 12:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User
Re: Too little calories=no weightloss????

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaoffour
Could someone please explain to me why if we eat too little calories then we will not lose weight but those that have had gastic bypass hardly eat and lose A LOT of weight? I just don't understand this and it doesn't make sense to me.
Thanks

If you do not fuel your body, it thinks you're starving it and it tends to "hold on" to what's in it. Your metbolism slows down to compensate for the lack of caloric intake. In addition, you will loose weight eventually, but alot of it will be muscle mass.
People that have gastric by-pass surgery are usually VERY over weight (at least 30%) and weight loss for them starts quickly. But you have to look at it this way: If a 150 lb person looses 20 lbs, you will definately notice. If a 400 lb person looses 20 lbs, they won't appear to have lost a thing.
A small person has a hard time loosing that last 5 lbs because there's not alot left to loose.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2005, 12:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kitkat77 HB User

This is what I think, but I'm not sure if it's correct.

The body uses calories as fuel to keep the metabolism working, which is what makes you lose weight. If a person is not consuming enough calories it will turn to the stored fat for fuel instead. Therefore if you have alot of padding you can conceivably eat nothing and your body will burn up what is there. If you have little or not body fat then your body will try to retain whatever meat you have on your bones to keep your organs working.

Old 04-06-2005, 12:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Susie's right. The metabolism slows if you're not eating enough because the body has a natural starvation response. It will use muscle before fat because that's what it's programmed to do. Unfortunately, a lot of people do believe what kitkat mentioned and will starve themselves thinking it wall make them lose fat faster which is untrue. You will lose some fat, but you will also lose a lot of lean muscle and ruin your metabolism in the process, which is why fad and yo-yo- diets are so detrimental.

Old 04-06-2005, 04:27 PM   #5
(female)

mistycatt HB User

Okay, so help me out here! I wieght about 105 underweight....but have a gut that sticks out and I know that I have to do a combo of cardio/toning but I don't eat a lot of calories... I mean I eat a lot but the kind of foods I eat usually are not high in calorie or fat... I'm a picky eater and eat certain foods....mostly veggies and don't like meat much except chicken....and little of it....

I don't work out much and have always been thin but now you can see areas where I have a problems

So if I am 5'4 105 how many calories a day should I be eating...

Old 04-07-2005, 06:37 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChappyBoy HB User

I would probably start you on 1500 calories a day as a baseline for two weeks and see what that did. It is also very important to make it the right 1500 calories and to time it at small meals throughout the day. (5-6 meals) Just eating low calorie and low fat won't necessarily change your body composition, in many cases it makes a smaller version of an out of person.

Old 04-07-2005, 11:34 AM   #7
(female)

mistycatt HB User

That's is another problem I have is the food I eat. I am a very picky eater and I tend to eat the same thing because I like certain foods and I almost eat the same things on a daily basis.... I TOLD YOU I WAS A PICKY EATER and a WEIRD EATER! I also eat a lot of carbs! I eat carbs for lunch and dinner.. It is Rice and I don't think I can cut that out.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 04-07-2005, 11:37 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChappyBoy HB User

Yeah - that's a problem If your not ready to commit to a new diet you will continue with the same results.

Old 04-07-2005, 11:49 AM   #9
(female)

mistycatt HB User

So your saying even if I do cardio/weight I reallyl can lose my gut because my diet is not that great even though I remain lower than the recommended calorie/fat intake...

Again, thanks for all your info... I would like to talk to you a little more in depth about my diet offline if you were up to it... if not.. thanks again.

Old 04-07-2005, 11:54 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

lietchi HB User

well offboard contact information isn't allowed here, but you can always post questions here. But be specific! For example, in what way are you a picky eater? What do you like to eat, what do you absolutely hate to eat etc.

Old 04-07-2005, 12:05 PM   #11
(female)

mistycatt HB User

SORRY THIS IS GOING TO A LONG ONE

Well for example I only like vegetables and no meat.. a little bit of chicken but to be honest I never really eat unless I am going over to my parents for dinner or a BBQ and it may be on the weekends. I love Rice and tomatoes... that is one of my favorite foods and I eat rice and tomatoes almost every night.... OKAY so I'm lying..... I eat it every night... I usally add a boiled egg and some leaf lettuce with vinegar to my lettuce... and I am being serious when I say I could eat this every night. For Lunch I eat Rice also I will bring a boile egg or have stir-fry, or tomatoes, or I will have a smart one frozen meal (noodles).

My diet has always been weird since I was little....I have ate like this pretty much my whole life. I also do eat a lot of Spicy Indian food veggie curry's etc. mosty weekends and I drink 2- 3 cups of Green tea daily.

I guess I should state my goal also: I am trying to lose stomach fat. I don't have huge belly but I can pinch fat on by belly I think it is about 1 inch or 2... not a lot but enough to where I don't like it. I have had 2 kids and I could actually use some weight in other parts of my body. I have been doing some stomach exc. that were introduced to me in Physical Therapy when I hurt my back and since I have been doing that I have noticed a change in my stomach as far as it being more toned and not flabby.

I apologize for the long email. I am new here and I don't really have anyone to talk to about fitness... This is a great website.

Old 04-07-2005, 12:21 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

lietchi HB User

Well, you might be a picky eater, but at least it's healthy picky One thing:I'd change the rice to brown rice if possible. In any case: you need lots of protein! If you can't eat lots of meat, maybe fish, tofu, low-fat yoghurt, lowfat milk, etc.? Eggs are good for protein too. For a healthy breakfast: oatmeal or muesli. If you want to gain healthy weight, in other words muscle, do weight training! Personally I love it. But I can warn you: you'll need to eat more! As for the belly: cardio combined with a good diet, and drinking lots of water. 1 hour of cardio per session is the max,otherwise you'll burn muscle.

Old 04-07-2005, 12:49 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

bajan71 HB User

Your gut is probably sticking out due to malnutrition, ever see those kids in Africa. Its not even funny, undernourished individuals usually have that problem. Check you diet and make sure that you're getting enough nutrients

Old 04-07-2005, 01:02 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChappyBoy HB User

The whole endgame should be body composition, good amount of lean mass with low bodyfat. Dieting down to a certain weight on a scale really gives you no indication of what shape you are in. There is a condition called skinny-fat - small frame with low lean mass and high fat content. To build an optimal physique you need to have all your macro nutrients and colorie totals in line. When I started as a trainer the typical femal client ate too many carbs, too little protein, and had a very ineffective workout with too much cardio. Manipulating these can cause drastic changes in your overall shape. The biggest impact is diet and if you don't get that in line you will never come close to your potantial.

Old 04-07-2005, 02:13 PM   #15
(female)

mistycatt HB User

Hahhaha No actually my gut is not from being malnutrition....I have 2 children and it's from childbirth... and trust me there is no food loss here... I eat all the time... it's just like I said I am picky and I know I need to cut my carbs and I do want to gain healthy weight .... Just don't really know how...Okay so I eat wheat bread in the morning and have green tea.. I am going to replace that with 2 boiled eggs minus the yolks and for lunch any suggestions for a meal plan?

As for the Brown Rice, I don't like the way it tastes at all. I have tried PAR BOILED rice and apparently it is recommended for people who are diabetic because it takes longer to break down in sugar/startch there and is not to bad on the Glycemic Index list.... and I also read that Basmati rice is better because it is gluten free..... but my weakness is Jasmine Rice.

Anyway - I do appreciate all of your suggestions and information. Thank you very much

Last edited by mistycatt; 04-07-2005 at 03:29 PM.

Closed Thread