It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2005, 09:03 PM   #1
(male)

den E HB User
I'm ready to get in shape, but how?

I want to start working out and establish high endurance as I am about to start playing soccer. My question is, what is the best way to exercise to enable me to remain active for a long period of time?

I'd like to run, but how many times a week, for how long, at what pace.
Should i incorporate weight training? Maybe switch between running a cycling?

Any suggestions would be great, and any known routines that would help would be even better.

Thanks a lot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2005, 09:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: I'm ready to get in shape, but how?

Running and cycling are great for endurance but may not really be what you're looking for in terms of assisting in soccer performance. A combination of weight training, sprints and cardio will probably serve you best. I wouldn't do more than an hour or so of cardio at a moderate pace (running/cycling) and you should have a sports drink to keep blood sugar up throughout, and some sort of carbohydrate before hand. Sprints will help you to increase explosive power and quick, short bursts of running which is helpful on the field. Weight training upper and lower body will help with core body strength, balance and whole body conditioning.
How many days a week are you planning on working out?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2005, 02:37 AM   #3
(male)

den E HB User

Thanks for the reply, it all makes a lot of sense.

I'd like to work out monday-friday and take saturdays and sundays off.
Any advice for an exercise plan?

Thanks again.

Old 04-07-2005, 11:39 AM   #4

phillydude HB User

Actually, I think playing a lot of soccer is the best training for playing soccer.

If you decide you want to run, I'd suggest you run laps around the soccer field, and dribble a soccer ball while you do it. Then do some straight-down-the-field sprints with the ball and practice stopping quickly and kicking the ball to a specific location... for example, run from the goal line to midfield, then when you reach the center line try and kick the ball to the penalty kick spot, and then try to sprint the rest of the way downfield to catch up with it before it goes into the goal.

Closed Thread