It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2005, 07:27 PM   #1

BobK07 HB User
chest

do diffrent chest excercises work diffrent pasrts of the chest such as the upper part of the chest? also what excercises work which part of the chest?

Old 04-08-2005, 05:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChappyBoy HB User
Re: chest

The pecs are separated into two muscle groups Pectoralis major and pectoralis minor. The majors function is to bring the humerus across the chest ( like a chest flye) The minors function is to move the shoulder forward.

One of my favorite chest exercises is the dumbell press on a flat bench (pec major) or an incline (pec minor). The use of dumbells allows for unilateral training as well as allows the shoulder joint a natural flow of movement. On a flat barbell bench press the shoulder joint has to make a visible comprimise to follow the path of motion created by the straight bar.

As far as secondary exercises Flyes (same flat and incline) put the muscle in a very good anatomical position for maximal contraction.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2005, 06:21 AM   #3

BobK07 HB User

Thanks a lot, you made it clearer for me. So what excercise should I do to work the upper part of my chest to make it more full looking?

The chest excercises I do are bench, dips, and the machine where u sit and push the handles strait out with both hands. Am I working all the pecs? or just one part?

Last edited by BobK07; 04-08-2005 at 06:31 AM.

Old 04-08-2005, 08:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChappyBoy HB User

While they will hit both pecs to concentrate on the upper you may want to add or alternat with Incline dumbell chest press and/or incline flyes

Old 04-08-2005, 10:04 AM   #5

BobK07 HB User

ok thanksn for clearing that up for me. one more thing. push ups, im confused weather that is primarily works arm or chest.

Old 04-08-2005, 11:08 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChappyBoy HB User

Primarily chest but tris and shoulders are the secondary movers - aems closer together for more tricep and out wider for more shoulder

Old 04-10-2005, 08:08 AM   #7
(male)

DSM18 HB User

your chest work out - the machine where u push out is call chest press, which has a very similar bulking affect on the chest as does your other exersize the bench press. A good chest workout would train upper chest and a definition exercise, such as flyes. EX: ( in this order ) Bench Press, flyes, incline bench.

Depending on your prefered volume, you could add in exercises that train the lower chest, or furter define the chest.... such as decline dumbell or barbell press to bulk and flyes, cable crossovers and chest dips for definition. Training the lower chest gives you that line towards the bottom of your pecs which looks appealing, and using flyes gives your chest a more complete look.

So, overall, Anything on an incline bench will train the upper part of the chest, anything on a decline with train the lower part of the chest.

Closed Thread