It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2005, 09:02 PM   #1
(female)

luv2shop HB User
Exercising like crazy and cloths are tighter?

I have been taking spin classes (1 hour a day) 5-6 days a week and incorporating weight lifting 3 days (not too much). And I feel like my pants are fitting tighter? What is going on? Should I cut some of the weight lifting out or should I increase my cardio? I have 10-15 lbs of body fat I want to loose. I have been eating 5-6 small healthy meals a day to keep my metabolism going. What am I doing wrong here?

Old 04-07-2005, 09:11 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

frustrated35 HB User
Re: Exercising like crazy and cloths are tighter?

Are you pants tighter in the waist or legs? You might be building muscle in your legs. Not sure....and what's your idea of healthy foods? I thought I was eating healthy and started working with a trainer and had a big eye opener!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2005, 09:13 PM   #3
(male)

delta3030 HB User

I have noticed my shirts getting tighter lol, that's good news for me, telling me somethign actually is happening O_o
But yeah you might just be gaining muscles in your legs or something...

Old 04-08-2005, 01:36 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

lietchi HB User

You've either gained muscle or fat, most likely muscle. When you look in the mirror, do you look tighter and leaner, or more "buldgy"?

Old 04-08-2005, 05:18 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChappyBoy HB User

How long have you been working out? What does your diet look like?

I would also suggest that you get your body composition done - it is very hard to look at yourself objectively, take the mystery out of it and use the bodyfat, scale and other tools you have to determine what is going on.

Old 04-08-2005, 12:47 PM   #6
(female)

luv2shop HB User

My diet consists of equal carbs and equal protiens small portions of each and I throw in veggies 2-3 x a day. I mainly cook most of my own food, no chicken or red meat, for protien I have fish, lite tofu, eggs, low-fat cottage cheese, and part skim cheese, carbs are either fruit, wheat products, oats, or multi grain. And I literally drink about a gallon of water a day. Plus I take a multi-vitamin. I have been doing this for about a month now. My weight lifting routine is not extensive its very light and I don't do too much weight or too many reps, just enough. My legs are definitly firmer and have more muscle. But there is still fat there, I would think doing intense cardio for an hour a day 5-6 x a week the fat would just come off. I don't want to be bulky, but I want definition. Should I just try cutting weights out of my routine for a while and just do cardio until I loose more fat?

Old 04-08-2005, 12:49 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

lietchi HB User

If you only do cardio you will lose muscle, which would slow your metabolism down and make it harder to lose weight. So keep doing the weight training...

Old 04-08-2005, 01:35 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChappyBoy HB User

I think you have too much cardio and you are just going through the motions on the weight training. Bulk isnt much of a problem for women- trust me gaining lean mass is extremely difficults even when doing the right things.

Old 04-08-2005, 01:49 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

I'd also be interested to see more detail about what you eat. Running 10 miles a day won't take fat off if you are still eating too much. Looks like you make very healthy coices, but do you know your calorie count? How many meals a day do you have? Any condiments or other 'hidden calories' that might be a problem?
I'm also right with Chappy and lietchi on this: do NOT cut weights. A little lean muscle goes a LONG way for helping to get lean and bump metabolism. You would really, really have to try to get bulky. I lift fairly heavy and often for a girl and I'm not 'bulky'. If you drop some cardio and put a little more focus on resistance training, I'm willing to bet you start to see some results you're happy with.

Old 04-08-2005, 05:09 PM   #10
(female)

luv2shop HB User

The meals I eat are any where from 200-300 calories 5-6 times a day, so about 1,500 calories per day. I watch my sodium intake very carefully and hardly use any condiments, if so, they are either tabasco, fat free/low carb salad dressings, or sodiumfree seasoning. One day a week I give myself rest day and I eat regularly on that day anywhere from 1,500-2,400 cal. but they are still healthy food choices.

I guess I will stick with this for a while and hopefully it will pay off in the long run.....Thanks for everyone's suggestions

Last edited by luv2shop; 04-08-2005 at 05:15 PM.

Old 04-09-2005, 02:41 AM   #11
(male)

tomh HB User

Congrats on the routine! Are you replacing electrolytes? The electrolytes help your body process the water. When I exercise (sweat) heavily, I drink half water, half gatorade/powerade.

Old 04-09-2005, 11:07 AM   #12
(female)

luv2shop HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomh
Congrats on the routine! Are you replacing electrolytes? The electrolytes help your body process the water. When I exercise (sweat) heavily, I drink half water, half gatorade/powerade.

I'm assuming electrolytes is another form of sodium? I tend to retain water easily, so I avoid a lot of sodium. I do have some daily intake, is this enough? When I sweat heavily too. During my cardio, I will drink a whole 1.5 liter of water.

Old 04-09-2005, 07:51 PM   #13
(male)

tomh HB User

I believe that electrolytes include sodium and potassium. I was wondering if water retention is a factor in your tight fitting clothing. Try adding some sports drink during and just after your cardio. If you have an existing sodium issue, you might increase your sports drink volume gradually to see how you tolerate it. Half sports drink and half water is about the max ratio.

Closed Thread