It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2005, 11:14 AM   #1
(female)

luv2shop HB User
Resting between reps - is it necessary?

I always hear that you take a 1 min. rest in between reps during your set. Is this necessary? Why should you take 1 min. rest periods between reps? Usually when I am doing my sets, I will not take that 1 min rest period until towards the end of that set, even then its only about 30-45 sec.

Old 04-09-2005, 12:45 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

frustrated35 HB User
Re: Resting between reps - is it necessary?

I don't rest 1 min. My trainer has me rest only 30 sec & sometimes I don't take it. I've never asked why and if there's a need to wait, but I'm sure there's a reason.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2005, 03:49 PM   #3

phillydude HB User

You should be resting 1 to 1.5 minutes between SETS, not reps. No rest period between REPS unless you need at adjust your grip or change weight.

Try and take about 8-10 seconds to complete each rep. 2-4 seconds on the "push" or "pull" part of the rep, hold 1 second at the "top," then 4 seconds on the return to the starting point. Wait about one second and then start your next rep.

If you are spending more time resting between sets than you are completing the reps, you are lifting too fast... slow down and maintain proper form.

Old 04-10-2005, 07:39 AM   #4
(male)

DSM18 HB User

luv2shop i take it your a female so you should take less rest between SETS than males. Generally females who train want a cardiovascular effect too, which helps loose weight, and to acheive this u should rest for about 3o seconds, where as males require more rest as they lift heavier weights and need the recovery time. Dont get confused between reps and sets, a repitition is pulling/pushing a weight once, a set is a number of repititions. After one whole set is where u have to rest.

Old 04-10-2005, 10:47 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

No offense DSM18, but I think that's awful advice, especially assuming or implying that women should be lifting for cardio instead of working on lean muscle mass. Honestly, if you want to do cardio, stay on the treadmill. Weights are for getting muscle and tone. If you don't need rest between sets, then you are using too light a weight (like PhillyDude said, slowing your reps will increase the intensity too). If it's not a challenge then you're just going through the motions and not really going your body any good. What sort of workouts do you do?

Old 04-10-2005, 12:51 PM   #6
(female)

luv2shop HB User

Okay sorry guys, I meant sets not reps. I don't do that much weight lifting. I generally follow the BFL guidelines. Each set is reps of 12, 10, 8, 6, 12, 12 - increasing the weight with each set. I alternate upper body and low body every other day. I rather be doing cardio, weights are not my favorite thing to do but I know I should incorporate it into my routine. So the sooner I am done with it the better. I do put full effort into lifting, I just don't take the 1 min rest b/t sets. I really just would like to know if I should take that 1 min b/t my sets and why do I have to? If taking that 1 min rest is not benefiting my lifting then I rather skip it. Thanks.

Old 04-10-2005, 01:03 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Like I said, if you don't feel like you need that minute of rest, you're not lifting heavy enough. The point of the brief rest is to regenerate energy to carry on with the next set. If you feel like you can just tear through each set back to back then you're not lifting heavy enough to do your muscles or body much good. The 1 minute of rest is important, but only if you're really putting some stress on your muscles. Otherwise the weight training isn't doing you much good. Even on the BFL program, the point to weights is to build and maintain lean muscle mass which does help to increase metabolism and thus burn more fat. Obviously no one can make you work harder, but you're really missing out on a large benefit if you slide through the resistance training with as little effort as possible.
Hope that helps. Good luck.

Old 04-10-2005, 04:08 PM   #8

phillydude HB User

I actually use the timer function on my watch to measure my rest period between sets. I hit the button when I'm done the lest rep in the set, and then the alarm sounds when it's time to start the next one (generally 60-90 seconds, depending on how intensely I'm lifting that day).

Of course, people look at me funny, but they also look at me funny because I carry a little notebook and write down what I do each time in the gym: exercise, sets, reps, and weight. I don't understand how people keep track of this stuff without writing it down, but it seems like I'm one of the only ones who does it.

Maybe that's why I've made such improvement in a short time, while the "gym rats" who are there for hours on end don't seem to be getting any bigger or stronger. Oh yeah... they are the ones who tend to take a LONG break between sets (mostly to pose in front of the mirrors, talk to their buddies, and ogle the girls on the cardio machines), and have the most "theatrics" when they are lifting (grunting, yelling, and slamming weights around).

Old 04-11-2005, 08:32 AM   #9
(male)

DSM18 HB User

a weight session can have a cardiovascular effect if you have less rest between sets, thats what i was saying, not that a weight session should be seen as cardio. I recommend females use higher repitions and more sets such as 5 by 15-20... You can still work your muscles with higher reps/sets.... Regardless of the amount of sets/reps you are using, to get benifets from training you have to train at a high intensity where the last few repitions in a set are hard to lift. Using higher reps/ sets just means you wont be lifting as heavy, but just as intensly. This will give more of a toning affect and looks far better on females. With that said though, females can still train using the conventional 3 sets by 8 and not get to the size a male would, but if i was a female i'd stay away from that.

Old 04-11-2005, 08:38 AM   #10
(male)

DSM18 HB User

to add to that, the girls at my gym who train higher sets/reps look way hotter than those who train heavier!

Old 04-11-2005, 09:37 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChappyBoy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM18
Regardless of the amount of sets/reps you are using, to get benifets from training you have to train at a high intensity where the last few repitions in a set are hard to lift. Using higher reps/ sets just means you wont be lifting as heavy, but just as intensly. This will give more of a toning affect and looks far better on females. With that said though, females can still train using the conventional 3 sets by 8 and not get to the size a male would, but if i was a female i'd stay away from that.

1st - I know a few powerlifters that may disagree with this statement. They seem to get huge strength results with 5-10 minutes rest. secondly a non linear periodization routine will incorporate longer rests and that has been shown in double blind test to have better results than standard programs. Finally muscle doesn't know "high reps are for toning", "low reps are for size" Muscle cells either fire or they do not, some muscle tissue prefers higher or lower reps but this has to do with fiber make up (fast twitch or slow twitch fibers)

The bottom line is a trainee's goals determine the overall makup of their program and there is always a case for manipulating variable regardless of what they are. Regardless of what you do you should be able to explain it in terms that are based in exercise physiology.

Old 04-12-2005, 01:03 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

lietchi HB User

I for one am so sick and tired of hearing that women should use lower weights and do more reps, otherwise they will bulk up. Guys have it hard enough gaining muscle, let alone women...

Old 04-12-2005, 05:19 AM   #13
(female)

FitChic HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lietchi
I for one am so sick and tired of hearing that women should use lower weights and do more reps, otherwise they will bulk up. Guys have it hard enough gaining muscle, let alone women...

agreed.............i hate when i hear women say they dont want to lift that 15 pound dumbell because they "think" they are going to get big huge bulky arms..............please, if it were only that easy.............

Old 04-12-2005, 06:26 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

lietchi HB User

Even worse is when fitness instructors tell women not to lift heavy weights! Mine did, accompanied by a nice imitation of Arnold Schwarzenegger to show me what would happen... Grr...

Old 04-13-2005, 08:38 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

frustrated35 HB User

I've been with the same trainer for almost 2 years now and never once did he say to not lift heavy weights! He always gets a big grin when I say it's too light and can move up. So I would be extremely frustrated if someone told me not to lift anything more than 15 lbs. We always do 3 sets of 15 unless it's crunches or pushups then that is 3 sets of 20. Trust me, I'm not bulky at all. I can finally see the muscle pop out where the fat use to be.

Last edited by frustrated35; 04-13-2005 at 08:39 AM.

Closed Thread