It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2005, 03:35 AM   #1

stillwater3 HB User
Muscle vs fat question

I'm a 17 year old guy, 6'2".
well I'm a bit skinny, but I have a bit of fat around my lower abdominals and the back of my thighs. I have been trying to burn off the remaining fat but I can never get rid of it (mostly due to ruining my day by having chocolate or too many bowls of cereal). i was wondering, if I start to bulk up and gain a lot more muscle mass, would this in any way help me burn off the fat i have in the long run? due to higher metabolism? anyway, thanks for your help in advance

Old 04-10-2005, 10:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: Muscle vs fat question

Yes, absolutely. More muscle means higher metabolism and getting leaner will be easier because you will have more *healthy* weight on you. However, cleaning up your diet is also very important. If you keep eating like crap, all the working out in the world won't keep the fat off.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2005, 04:17 PM   #3

melissaq83 HB User

i have a question...im just recovering from an eating disorder and during the time when i wasnt eating much i was still exercising everyday and burning calories that i didnt even have in me and thats how i lost weight but now i still have some excess fat around my stomach that i never really lost even with the eating disorder....my question is why would i still have that flab if i was working out everyday and not eating much? was it poor diet?? now that im recovering im eating more food like good foods but im getting more carbs and protein.so is there still excess fat bc of a poor diet? and will it go away with me eating more foods?

Old 04-10-2005, 05:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

When you starve yourself, your body goes into "starvation mode" where it slows metabolism and will use muscle tissue (break it down) for needed calories and hold onto as much fat as it can. This is unfortunately common with eating disorders and only keeps the cycle going because the fat tends to stick around. If you are eating more now (particularly more protein) and doing some kind of working out, ideally resistance training, you should be able to add some lean muscle and get rid of some of the excess fat. But MOST IMPORTANTLY you need to have realistic goals for your particular body.

Old 04-11-2005, 02:02 PM   #5

stillwater3 HB User

Thanks very much Naxis
Say, what sort of things should I be eating to minimize fat gain? should i be eating more or less calories than I need?
How much cardio should I be doing if any?
thanks again

Old 04-11-2005, 03:13 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Slightly more than you will burn each day, but make it high protein and clean foods and you won't see much fat gain with the muscle. For general health you can do cardio maybe 30 minutes twice a week? Maybe between lifting days.

Closed Thread