It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2005, 07:33 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

frustrated35 HB User
Lean Mass & Fat Mass

I'm a 35 yr "young" female, 5'5" and 135 lbs. My lean mass is 99 lbs & my fat mass is 36 lbs (26% body fat). What is the ideal or healthy balance between lean mass & fat mass? Or should I just pay more attention to the body fat % figure?

My goal is 22% and not sure how I came up with that %, but it was a goal I set after find out my beginning body fat was 39%. Does it really matter what the charts say or should I just keep going until I feel good about what I've done?

Also, my work out buddy just turned 40. She's devistated that her body fat % automatically went up just because she's in a different age bracket! Why would age have to do with it if you are working out, eating well as opposed to being a 40 yr old that doesn't work out and doesn't eat well. Very confusing! Sorry so many questions....I was on a roll.

Thanks!

Last edited by frustrated35; 04-10-2005 at 07:43 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2005, 04:40 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

frustrated35 HB User
Re: Lean Mass & Fat Mass

Any words of wisdom??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2005, 05:17 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

There is no magic % number. Thanks to genetics, everyone has a different "comfort" body fat level that they can maintain. Of course there are healthy and unhealthy levels, but as long as you are in the healthy range, content with where you're at and don't have to diet and exercise excessively to maintain, you're golden.

The formulas used to calculate bodyfat % are *estimates*. Age comes into play because as we age our lean mass tends to decrease, so that natural decline gives a little bit of leniency in the outcome. I would think that if she has the same measurements and only her age changed in the equation, it would actually work in her favor... but I could be wrong. The point is, it's just numbers and nothing to panic about.

Old 04-11-2005, 07:25 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

frustrated35 HB User

Thanks again for the advice! I'll let her know. It was actually not in her favor when she turned 40. her body fat % went up a couple of %'s. She's come a long way from being 240 lbs down to 170!! And it's hard because when I'm right next to her it just reminds her how far she still has to go and I'm thinking that I'm not even where I want to be. It's also hard because if we were the same weight our bodies might look sooo different. We both keep each other motivated.

Thanks again!

Closed Thread