It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2005, 05:17 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

princess72 HB User
Gaining muscle...........

Can someone help me? I have been working with a trainer for 6 months. I naturally am a pretty muscular woman. Recently my clothes have been tight (my pants) in the legs! Here is my CRAZY WORKOUT: Cardio 7 days a week for an hour. Lift 3 days a week. Pilates (im in school) in the evening 3 days a week! Oh, and i QUIT SMOKING! I am soooooo afraid this is fat!!!! My body fat is 15.5% as of 2 weeks ago. I am very obsessive about weight gain, and i do not want to think i have gained from quitting smoking! With as much cardio i do-----how can i gain weight! Finally to my question..... When you are putting on muscle, can you get big, then you cut up? Im feeling muscular and bloated at the same time, and all i drink is water, and tons of it! Sorry, i sound like a freak about this----but im not sure if i should continue my routine, if my clothes arent fitting! Any advise?????? Also is there a "weird" stage you get to, when you are building muscle, before you get that "cut" look? Thanxs for reading...............

Old 04-11-2005, 05:21 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

juicylicious HB User
Re: Gaining muscle...........

what do you eat? how much do you weigh and how tall are you?

Last edited by juicylicious; 04-11-2005 at 05:21 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2005, 06:03 PM   #3
(female)

FitChic HB User

you are doing way too much cardio...............cut it down to 4-5 days a week max..........you need at least one day of rest.....weight training is good @ 3 days.......maybe you only need 1-2 days for pilates...........

main question is......how is your diet?

Old 04-11-2005, 06:33 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

frustrated35 HB User

That sounds like a lot of cardio. My trainer told me that if I do too much cardio that I will start to burn muscle. I don't want to scare you becaause I'm not sure if that's your problem or not. Let everyone know what your diet is like and i'm sure more advice will come...

Old 04-11-2005, 06:52 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

princess72 HB User

Thanx for replying. I am 5"5 and weigh 135. Everyone has told me i am doing way too much cardio-----but i cant stop exercising, especially since i quit smoking! My diet, well, i eat very healthy, just not as often as i should! I know for a fact im not getting everything i need daily. Especially protein. For breakfast i have cereal (8am) then i eat around 12-2, sandwich or cheese and crackers or string cheese and an apple. Dinner, i cook almost every night, and alot of chicken breast cooked 100 different ways, with a vegetable and usually rice (white). I eat almost the same thing every day. As far as sugar and junk food, i try to stay away! If i eat it, i have low fat ice cream, baked chips, fruit snacks (which i love) NO FAST FOOD. I eat out at a restarant 2-4 times a month. Lunch a salad, dinner, a regular meal. Back to the cardio, ive been told that too much of it can make you gain weight! I've heard losing muscle, but gaining weight????? I just dont see why exercising an hour a day can be bad for you. Walking everyday is fine.....isn't it??????

Old 04-11-2005, 09:47 PM   #6
(male)

lobosprinter03 HB User

This is coming from an athletic perspective, when I first saw your body fat I noticed that this is pretty low. I'm not sure about what your metabolism is like and all that good stuff, but if I were you I would not worry much about losing weight because you could do more harm than good especially with your body fat that low. Now this is just my advice as far as getting bigger goes. Maybe you are drinking too much water, I know this sounds absurd but as my coach tells us you can get bloated off of water too. And as far as your lifting goes, cut down weight on the areas that you feel are not fitting into your clothes, say your legs and do more reps. This will tone your legs more because if you are doing low reps and lots of weight you are just asking to get bigger. I hope this helps, I don't/haven't smoked so I can't tell you if it is the smoking that is causing this.

Old 04-12-2005, 03:27 AM   #7
(female)

cricket_22 HB User

First of all, coming from the perspective of someone who does have an eating disorder, it sounds like you may be in the works of having one too. The obsession you have about gaining weight...and your insane workout regimine both seem to point to excercise bulimia: where you excersice to compensate for whatever you eat. Do you feel like your fear of gaining weight is normal?

Anways, on a different note, I am 18.5% body fat, 5'5'' like you, and 120 pounds.... So my fat% is higher than yours, but my weight is lower. Muscle is more dense than fat though...so I am thinking that because of your muscle gain you are starting to bulk up. I think that your body fat percent is the issue at hand, and not so much your weight. With muscle/fat loss comes weight loss...you shouldn't be losing any more fat....but with your percentage being so low, it seems like you can afford to lose some muscle.

maybe drop some of your weight lifting days or cut back on the weight you are lifting, and don't be afraid to cut back on the cardio either...it is true that it is possible to do too much of a good thing! Good luck with everything!

Old 04-12-2005, 04:51 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

princess72 HB User

Hey cricket 22...............You read right into me. yes, i have suffered for years with an ED, BUT, ive gotten better over the years, except for the obsession and the exercising part. Thank you everyone for the responses. If i can i will cut back on the cardio and see what happens, also maybe get a nutrition guide to follow from my trainer. Have a great day.

Old 04-12-2005, 06:53 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChappyBoy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosprinter03
And as far as your lifting goes, cut down weight on the areas that you feel are not fitting into your clothes, say your legs and do more reps. This will tone your legs more because if you are doing low reps and lots of weight you are just asking to get bigger.
Unfortunately this is not correct. Volume leads to hypertrophy - strength training will not lead to massive size unless it is accompanied by heavy volumes (multiple sets) and in women that is extraordinarily hard to do. Muscle either fires or it doesn't, muscle doesn't understand high reps are for "toning" (I am not even sure what that means but I am guessing technically low bodyfat with decent lean mass but not at bodybuilder levels, like the fitness ladies) and low reps are for growing - muscle is either recruited and fires or it does not. Muscle tissue is made up of two types of fibers, fast twitch or slow twitch - fast twitch respond better to heavy weight low rep and vice versa. To optimally construct a program for any goal a mix of rep ranges and weights should be used. You would only be hurting yourself to limit the variables that you can manipulate.

Closed Thread