It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2005, 09:10 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

lisa24 HB User
So when does the weight come off?

Ok, so I've started exercising. I desperately need to lose weight. Just for myself, I've never weighed this much in my life, and am going crazy.

So, I am walking, on a treadmill, for my exercise. In a magazine I read there was a little plan sketched out, so I thought it would be easiest if I just follow it, so I will have something to go on.

It starts out with walk one mile for week one.
Two miles week two.
Three to four mile weeks 3-6.

Six days a week.

So after week one of doing one mile everyday, the scale says I've lost nothing. How depressing. Should I have lost, or should I be thinking I need to do more miles than suggested to see a loss?
I got mad today so I walked almost 4 miles, wanted to speed up the process.

Should I do more miles a day than suggested? Any thoughts from anyone?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2005, 10:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: So when does the weight come off?

Diet, Diet, Diet. Walking is a great start but it's not The Solution to weight loss. If you don't clean up your diet, you can walk all day and not lose weight. But, for the record, one week is hardly enough to see a significant change. It's possible that the extra exercise is increasing muscle a little bit and helping you lose a little bit of fat, but the scale will not show you that kind of progress. If you're able to start at 4 miles, by all means, go for it, although increasing the *intensity* for a shorter duration if you can will help too, so you're not spending all day walking.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2005, 11:25 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

lisa24 HB User

Well, I should have known I was trying to make it too easy.

Thank you for the advice. My diet has remained pretty consistent thru life, I'm not that big of an eater, but maybe since they say metabolism slows down with age, that is what has happened.
I guess my biggest problem is drinking too much pop (or currently ice tea). I knew I was gonna have to do something about that, but it is hard. I will see what I can do there.

I guess I thinking about with dieting they say you should lose a couple pounds a week, so I just assumed the same for exercising.
Maybe I will have to go the whole six weeks before knowing what to do, I just hate to think I should be walking more now, and not being doing it.
But the plan was built to start you slowly, and I didn't want to overdo it, thinking I will get tired of it faster if I don't work my way into it.

Will see what I can do with diet. Thank you.

Old 04-11-2005, 11:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Starting slow is MUCH better than burning out. But if in addition, you make small but significant changes to your diet, you'll see *much* better results. Good luck.

Old 04-12-2005, 06:17 AM   #5
(female)

cat3883 HB User

For the last 3 months I have been doing the treadmill for 40 minutes 5 days a week and strength training 3 days a week with a personal trainer. I have actually gained weight (which I certainly didnt want to) but my clothes feel looser. I know I have gained muscle. My personal trainer told me to stay away from the scale. I am eating much healthier and feel much better. My husband even says I am looking younger. So don't get discouraged by the scale. And really pay attention to what you are eating.

Old 04-12-2005, 02:42 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

lisa24 HB User

Thanks, you have both helped. I feel better about it, and that should be enough to help me stay motivated.

Staying off the scale sounds like a good idea, I just can't help checking it everyday.
But what you said about your clothes being looser, that's great. That's actually my problem - mine are all tooooo tight now, and I don't want to buy a new wardrobe right now. Hopefully, they will fit again soon.

Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement!

Closed Thread