It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2005, 10:23 AM   #1
(male)

ixocean HB User
Thumbs up UPDATE: 76lbs lost, need more diet/exercise tips!

First of all, thanks to everyone for the great posts on the board. I've used this board (along with another) to get back to where I was (weight/fitness) pre-college. Over the last year, I've dropped 76lbs of fat going from a size 42 waist down to a 32. I'm VERY happy, but not completely satisfied. I know I can continue to loose a little remaining fat in the gut, buttocks, lowering my BF% to a more healthy level. Problem is, I'm confused with all of the varying opinions on diet and only recently started looking at products like WHEY, etc as well as being concerned with Glycogen (which is still cloudy, but I'm trying to understand). I'll post my diet/workout detail and appreciate any suggestions, whatever they may be.

FYI: M-F=diet below, Sa/Su=free meal once each day//Tu-Th+Su=workout below, M+F/Sa = no workouts.

0600 - Wake

0610 - 1000mg GNC Pro CLA cap + (2) Lean System 7 caps (7-keto)

0620 - 1 slice light wheat toast + 1 tbsp reduced fat natural peanut butter + 1 tsp organic raspberry preserve + 1 cup fat free organic milk

<0730> AT WORK

0930 - (1) slice light wheat toast with 1 tbsp reduced fat natural peanut butter + 1 tsp organic raspberry preserve

1200 - 6in Subway turkey breast on wheat w/lettuce, tomato, cucumbers, olives, 1 tbsp fat free honey mustard + 1 6oz bag baked Lays + (either) 1 12oz diet cola (OR) 12oz diet lemon Nestea + (1) Lean System 7 cap (7-keto)

1530 - 1.5oz blanched almonds + 1 banana

<1600> OFF WORK

1700 - 30 minutes weights + 15-30 minutes moderate cardio (elliptical, treadmill, outdoor jog)

1815 - 1000mg GNC Pro CLA cap + (1) Lean System 7 cap (7-keto) + (either) (2) 97% fat free kosher beef franks on (1) light wheat bun (one frank per half bun) with 2 oz fat free mozzarella cheese + 1 tsp honey mustard and 1 tsp organic ketchup (OR) 1 Lean Cuisine veggie pizza

2000 - 1.5cups Special K Vanilla Almond cereal and 1cup fat free organic milk

2230 - (2) GNC Mega Men multi-vitamins

[repeat cycle four out of seven days, three days off]

A few notes: I've been reading up on interval training and am interested in possibly working that into my workout. I also recently purchased vanilla Myoplex Lite and made one shake that nearly made me nauseous. Not sure why, but open to suggestions there as well. Summer classes are starting on May 7, so I'm going to be pressed to add a fifth day to my workout (my original plan). Regarding my workout, I use a HRM and during cardio get into the 150-160 range, although while jogging outdoors have made it to 179bpm. With summer rains on the way, I won't be spending as much time jogging outdoors. I've pretty much been doing my weights routine almost every day of workouts (pre-cardio) since I had heard this was best for fat loss, something about Glycogen again. I'm also confused about the pre/post workout meal, there seems to be conflicting scientific evidence on both sides of that issue. Lastly, I am on the road every day, for the majority of my day, spending only a few hours early morning and late afternoon in my office. This makes eating lunch in a restaurant almost a necessity, which is why I chose Subway.

Thx!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2005, 12:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: UPDATE: 76lbs lost, need more diet/exercise tips!

In general, too many carbs, too little protein. Your first two meals have very little protein and between the bread, milk and jam, you have a lot of carbs there. (and skip the natural reduced fat nut butter - they replace the fat with sugar and the calories are almost the same. Plain natural nut butter is better). Oats, eggs, nuts, meat, veggies, cottage cheese, yogurt... stay within your caloric needs but you really need to be getting at least 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight per day. The peanutbutter has some protein, but not really enough. Cereal as you last meal is a bad, bad plan. All those carbs are not being burned as your metabolism slows for the night and will end up stored as fat. Lean protein and veggies would be much. Cottage cheese is also good night time snack - casein burns slowly.

You don't need the CLA or the Keto supplements. Flax, olive, safflower or Udo's oil would serve you better.

If you want to try to incorperate shakes into your diet, get something that is strictly whey. It will have 100-150 calories per scoop, low carbs, 20-25g protein. Then you can add to it as you wish (oil, oats, juice, etc). Myoplex is very thick and has kind of a nsaty consistency, so I understand that.

What's the confusion with pre/post workout nutrition?

Congrats on the awesome success so far, by the way.

Old 04-29-2005, 09:36 PM   #3
(male)

ixocean HB User

Thanks Naxis! You've been a great resource and I really appreciate your input. What do you think about me cutting the cereal and replacing with either low-fat cottage cheese or steamed veggies and chicken breast for my last meal of the day? (Scares me eating so much after various people over the years who say not to eat anything 'heavy' an hour or so before bed. I can get over it though, if you think it's a decent idea!)

Let me post the details of my PB toast, for you to take a look at:

Smucker's Reduced Fat Natural PB
*Serving size: 1 tbsp
*Calories: 100 / Fat Calories: 55
*Total Fat: 6g / Saturated: 1g / Trans: 0g
*Sodium: 60mg
*Total Carb: 6g / Fiber: 1g / Sugars: 1g
*Protein: 4.5g

Nature's Own Light Wheat Bread
*Serving size: 1 slice
*Calories: 40 / Fat Calories: 0
*Total Fat: .5g / Saturated: 0 / Trans: 0
*Sodium: 100mg
*Total Carb: 9.5g / Fiber: 2.5g / Sugar: .5g
*Protein: 2.5g

Cascadia Farm Organic Raspberry Fruit Spread
*Serving size: 2 tsp
*Calories: 25
*Total Carb: 6g / Sugar: 6g

To answer your question about my concern with pre/post workout nutrition, my confusion stems from differences of opinion as to whether to eat an hour before a workout or not and how soon after one should consume their next meal.

Last edited by ixocean; 04-29-2005 at 09:40 PM.

Old 04-30-2005, 02:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Cottage cheese is actually an ideal last meal of the day. You don't want to eat something heavy = high calorie (and to me also includes high carb). So smaller portions of chicken and veggies would be just fine too.

I still think the all natural Smuckers is better. The calorie count is the same, it's just that more is from fat (which is good fat to have). And I think it's higher protein too. The reduced fat is the only one that they add stuff to, which is never a good thing. And the 60 calories of toast and jam coule be replaced by lean protein and would serve your body well. High GI carbs jack with your insulin and blood sugar levels causing swings that are detrimental to fat loss. It is a big factor to the fattening of people these days. Keeping blood sugar more even will reduce the chances of fat storage.

About pre/post workout, eat comething carby (I prefer an apple) 30 minutes before you go to the gym. You need a little time to start digestion and for the glucose to et into the blood stream. This will give you energy for your workout. After your weight workout, you should have a protein shake within 15-20 minutes of the last rep - the sooner the better. 25% bodyweight in grams protein, 50% bodyweight in grams carbs/sugar (25-30% in carbs if you're trying to lose fat). And then a meal with roughly that same ratio 1.5 hours later and then back to your normal meal schedule. Of course there's some wiggle room here, so you don't have to be right on the nose, but it's a basic guideline for best results.

Old 05-01-2005, 07:17 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

Naxis, I was wondering what's with the apple you always eat before a workout? Is it the actual "apple" that is good before the workout or will any low GI fruit be good for that?

Old 05-01-2005, 09:19 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Low GI fruit is fine. I just prefer the "portion" size of apples and personally, other fruits don't seem to last through a workout. Easy to get and carry with you if need be.

Old 05-02-2005, 06:03 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User

Great job on the weight loss.

I would add a scoop of vanillia Whey Protein powder to the cup fat free milk with the cereal.

Good luck on more progress

Old 05-03-2005, 07:17 PM   #8
(male)

ixocean HB User

Thanks to everyone for the tips! Cereal and second PB meal are gone. I am now starting my day with a shake; combining 2/3 of a Myoplex Lite single serving packet with 1/2 a banana, a cup of frozen berries and 8 ounces water. I replaced the evening cereal with 1 cup of lowfat cottage cheese. So far, so good!

Closed Thread