It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2005, 04:27 PM   #1
(male)

micro HB User
Is warming up THAT important?

Hey all,

The only reason I ask is because I really don't exercise consistently. My form of exercise is basically playing basketball. It's a good mix of cardio and stretching and what not.

Because I only play every other week or so (sometimes as long as months in between) I feel that my stamina for running isn't that long. Furthermore,I tend to pull my muscles easily. Half way through a game, I'd feel my calves about to pull and I need to slow down. Is warming up going to help it some what? I know playing more consistently and exercising more often would increase my stamina.

Any advice for my problems and issue?

Thanks!

Old 07-30-2005, 09:38 AM   #2
(male)

lobosprinter03 HB User
Re: Is warming up THAT important?

You probably aren't about to pull your calves, instead they are more than likely cramping up. If you were about to pull your muscle you would be in great pain and more than likely you wouldn't want to be walking. Yes stretching is going to help prevent this cramping, but don't stretch cold muscles, maybe run a few laps around the court then stretch. You can also help prevent cramping by drinking more water throughout the day on the days that you play basketball. Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2005, 09:55 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

dreamer89 HB User
Re: Is warming up THAT important?

cramping can be caused by being unfit, your lactate threshold is small, stretching probably won't help that, by the way the only time I see atheltic animals (horses, dogs cats antelope etc) stretch is when they first get up after sleeping or resting. they don't seem to suffer a problem despite being able to run and bounce at high speeds.

second you need to take up some kind of aerobic exercise regularly, sporatic exercise won't cut it. biking, walking running or some other sport that requires regular partcipation and steady action for aerobic workouts including some aneraboic, by the way basketball is considered a anaerobic exercise (without oxygen) and that is why lactate builds up quickly if you are unfit. causing cramping. O2 debt as it were,

and it is in your calves because calves have fast twitch muscles in abundance (meaning using sugar without oxygen) and the calves carry most of the weight of stop and go exercise. aerobic exercise will help by making the heart the blood vessels more effecient and more able to provide oxygen in enough supply to take care of your lactate problem being able to deliever O2 fast enough is the key, to that problem.

RR

Closed Thread