It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2005, 01:12 PM   #1
(female)

Shannon1719 HB User
Bikram yoga and other questions

Im really interested in trying bikram yoga. Ive never really been into yoga because I tend to go for workouts that burn calories and are aerobic than yoga, but bikram yoga seems like it would be considered cardio, especially because you are exercising in that 105 degree room.

Has anyone ever tried Bikram yoga? If so, about how long were the classes and do you have any estimate on how many calories are burned per class or per hour? And due to the rather expensive cost (around here, its $13/class) I would probably only go once a week, sometimes twice. Is that enough to get the benefits?

Also, my current routine is rather boring and consists of me running (very vigorously though) in place/around the room for an hour, which is about 800 calories burned. Would you say thats sufficient for a days workout? I do that 6x/week and was thinking about adding my tae bo tape everyday to the mix. My taebo tape is the Billy Blanks Tae bo Cardio, and it runs approx. 40 minutes. Is this overexercising?

My biggest goal is to lose weight and to tone up. My diet consists of about 1000-1200 cals/day and included in that is a lot of fruits,veggies and protein (in the forms of peanutbutter and meat) and the only bread I eat is whole grain. I dont really eat set meals, becase of my work schedule and now my upcoming school schedule, so I usually eat when Im hungry. Is this diet considered healthy?

Im sorry if some of these questions sound rather naive but I thank you all who take the time to read and respond

Shannon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2005, 03:01 PM   #2
(female)

Gainup HB User
Re: Bikram yoga and other questions

Hi Shannon,

I've been doing bikram for about 11 months now and I love it. I started going after being very very sick. I have been going almost everyday and my body changed a lot for the better. It has also helped my bad knees start to heal. I think you would have to go at least 3 days a week to see results. I got addicted to it pretty fast, it's easy for that to happen. If you do try it, give it at least 3 classes before you decide. You WILL be very hot and possibly nausiated (sp?) during class. You
WILL also get used to it, I promise.

The class is 90 minutes long and it is 105 degrees with about 50% humidity. You sweat like crazy. I think I get quite a bit of cardio, my husband would disagree.

I honestly don't know how many calories you burn, but I have to assume it's a lot. When I first started I was eating like crazy, anything I wanted. After about 6 months or so I noticed that my middle was growing a bit. I think it's because that is all I was doing every day. My metabolism slowed down.

Let us know how you liked it.

Old 08-20-2005, 04:26 PM   #3
(female)

Gainup HB User
Re: Bikram yoga and other questions

Shannon,

Sooo???? Did you try it?

Oh, I found out that Bikram yoga burnes about 350-600 calories depending on your age, gender, weight, conditioning etc.

Last edited by Gainup; 08-20-2005 at 04:29 PM.

Closed Thread