It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2005, 03:11 AM   #1
(male)

nawsanenawmean HB User
Motivation for working out.

Hey there. I'm a 21 year old male caucasion and I'm a really disgustingly skinny dude. I am 5'9"-5'10" and I weigh roughly 140 lbs. I've never liked working out, it gets on my nerves. Sometimes I actually get ticked off over it, but I seriously need to bulk up badly. I can never find the motivation, no matter what. I even bought a bowflex machine back in March and I haven't been consistently using it at all. Has anybody ever had this type of problem? Or do you now? What should I do to motivate myself? Any tips I would greatly appreciate.

Old 08-15-2005, 02:53 PM   #2
(male)

Skigomaniac HB User
Re: Motivation for working out.

So you're dissatisfied with your body and you need to lift weights, yet you can't find the motivation? I'm kind of lost. Shouldn't that fact that you hate your body be motivation enough?

I recommend going on a bulking diet, I was in the same boat as you. Last winter I was 145-150lbs 5'10". I started a bulking diet about two months ago and I've been lifting for 5 weeks now. I am already up to 165 pounds. I tried lifting weight for 9 months and got nothing out of it. DIET is EVERYTHING, Trust me I have a very fast metabolism and I have to eat my *** off to gain weight, but everyone can. Look around on the internet for good bulking diets and do compound massive exercises in the gym. These exercises trigger chemicals in your body to make you bigger.

Don't worry about the small muscles at first. When you build your large muscle groups your body will send messages to the smaller ones to grow, to keep you in proportion. Do lots of Presses (flat bench, incline bench) Deadlifts and squats. Just concentrate on those for now you will gain weight. But remeber EAT EAT EAT EAT, when your full eat some more and always eat a big meal before bed. Trust me I thought I was hopeless as well untill I did lots of research and found info that gave me hope.

Find yourself a lifting partner, doesn't matter big or small just someone to keep you motivated on days you don't wanna go, and visa versa. Stop feeling sorry for yourself and do **** about it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2005, 08:20 PM   #3
(female)

river525 HB User

I have always had a hard time with motivation to work out. I am the queen of excuses. As sad as it sounds the only way I show up at the gym and work out four times a week is paying a trainer. She has worked with me now for about a year and I love it once I'm finished but the joke is I pay her so I can ***** more than anything. I'm opposite you but I have now lost 30 pounds and dropped 4 sizes so it is definitely money well spent for me. Good luck finding your motivation. Finding a workout buddy is also a great way to get motivated!

Old 08-16-2005, 07:41 AM   #4

a bear HB User

when i began weight training i was 20 years old and weighed 125lbs with 12" arms and 10" calves. thirteen years later i'm still lifting and still learning and still making progress. i treat my training the same as i treat life by setting goals and working to achieve them. i view setting goals as making a promise to myself. i pride myself on not breaking promises to others, so i sure wont do it to myself.

training is fun to me and when i see that hard work pay off, it makes me push even harder to try and beat my previous efforts.

Old 08-17-2005, 05:56 PM   #5
(male)

UCkibs HB User

As the previous members that replied to your post, A Bear has some of the best advice that I saw. You must start out small and then work your way up. I am also 5''9 and was a skinny cross country runner in high school and then after 2 years in college I had a roomate was magazine-esque built and I decided to make a change. I cant be any more happier with myself as am very built now myself. I bought an IPOD, did pushups, dips, and situps until I saw a change in my body (3 weeks) in between t.v. commercials. Once you start seeing a change, the motivation factor will come automatically, but best of all... once you start seeing girls "double-take" you, that is the real motivation. Good luck and that is my story...

Closed Thread