It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2005, 06:12 AM   #1
(female)

Mstngfan HB User
any women do strength training?

Just looking to see how many other women on here are trying to gain muscle and succeeding? Im doing it now to lose weight. I am 5'6 and 240 pounds. Im not all fat I have always had a pretty high muscle mass for some reason, my calf muscles and arm muscles are pretty good size, but I have too much weight covering all of it up. I lost 30 pounds before from doing weights and cardio. So Im doing the same again.

I go 4 days a week during my lunch break and do weight training on the machines at my gym. Then 4 days a week I go after I get off work to do my cardio. 25-40 minutes on the elliptical.

Other thing is Im sticking to a 1200-1500 calorie diet. I eat chicken twice a day on days when I do weights to get the protein.

Anybody have any good advice?

Old 08-17-2005, 06:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: any women do strength training?

You're eating WAY too few calories. You're probably causing a starvation response that is actually going to tear through your muscle, hang onto fat and lower your metabolism. Your BMR is roughly 2000 calories right now, and thats what you burn if you didnt even get up out of bed, much less what you're burning in the gym. You need to have no more than 500-1000 calorie deficit per day. With your exercise, you're probably burning close to 3000 calories per day, so you need to eat at LEAST 2000-2500. I know it's counterintuitive to eat more to lose weight, but if you're eating the right amount of calories of the right foods, you'll be amazed at the progress you can make. Increasing lean proteins, complex carbohydrates, fresh fruits and veggies and unsaturated fats while avoiding sugars, starches, 'white' foods (bread, potato, pasta) and saturated fats makes a big difference.
One thing Im curious about; are you actually trying to gain more muscle mass? You sound fairly muscular already. Of course strength training is good for keeping your muscle tone and keeping metabolism high, but if you're naturally prone to being muscular, you may want to keep what you have and as you get leaner then decide if you want to build more. I have been weight training for years and have been very sucessful, so I can help you out there if that's what you're looking for.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2005, 10:14 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

Naxis, I was just wondering where you are getting her BMR at 2000? Is that some formula? I don't know how accurate those formulas are.....I had my BMR tested through a breathing machine last year, when I was exercising, but 20 pounds heavier and my BMR was only 1400. I am 5' 5 1/4". If you figured mine out I assume mine would be similar to the original poster, but that wouldn't be accurate.

Old 08-17-2005, 10:35 AM   #4
(female)

Mstngfan HB User

Thanks for the advice guys. Well as far as what Im eating Im trying to get some more food in me thats good. For lunch today after I left the gym I got a wendys grilled chicken sandwich plain, a yogurt, and a side salad. I just ate the chicken, and probably will eat the rest of the stuff throughout the day as I get hungry.

For dinner I was going with my boyfriend (who loves fast food) to Chick Fil A and either getting a grilled chicken sandwich or the chicken nuggets 8 pack which is 220 calories. Its getting old now and I dont want to get sick of chicken. Last night I had oatmeal for dinner. lol.

I guess Im trying to get an even mix, I dont want to be abnormally big muscle wise but definately fit and toned. I figure Ive been lazy for a while so Im trying to get what I do have back in shape. Its really hard to evaluate what I have now because of the fat padding. When I feel my arm and flex, it feels big, and to other people who have felt it they are surprised I have that for a girl, I like that alot. I just wish it showed through.

So I dont want to eat a ton and bulk up, just enough healthy foods and protein to support what my muscles need and then lose the fat at the same time. Seems like for me the best way to dump the fat is to get the muscles working so thats what Im doing.

One good thing to note, today after my workout I noticed definition in my arm right below the anterior deltoid above the bicep. It was a little teeny thing but its never been like that before, and with the amount of "padding" I have I was pretty amazed.

One other question I have is how long do you all let a certain muscle rest between workouts. I havnt really been sore yet from anything Ive done, except the first couple days where I think i strained my arm a little. But since then fine. So this week Ive been monday, tuesday, wednesday. Tomorrow Im taking off then going Friday. Theres a couple muscles I focus on every day that I go. Should I not do that?

Thanks guys!

Old 08-17-2005, 11:05 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Bell Jar HB User

Hi Again,

Just wanted to let you know that you're not going to bulk up. Even if you do lift more substantial weight, most women do not have the genetics to get big and musclar.

You should allow at least 48 hours for the muscle to rest and rebuild itself. So I would definitely mix it up each day you work your muscles and not do the same ones everyday.

Old 08-17-2005, 11:17 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehen94
Naxis, I was just wondering where you are getting her BMR at 2000? Is that some formula? I don't know how accurate those formulas are.....I had my BMR tested through a breathing machine last year, when I was exercising, but 20 pounds heavier and my BMR was only 1400. I am 5' 5 1/4". If you figured mine out I assume mine would be similar to the original poster, but that wouldn't be accurate.
It's a formula. Of course it's only an estimate, as they all are, based on weight and leanness. I have never used one of those breathing machines, but formulas are accurate enough to elicit results. The margin of "error" is fairly small.

Old 08-17-2005, 11:30 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Mstngfan: if you're not really getting sore, then you're not really lifting heavy enough to create new muscle, which for your goals is fine. It sounds like you have significant muscle as it is, so the plan is to *keep* the muscle you have to lean out. Bell Jar is right on that you need to allow time for muscles to recover, so maybe change up the workouts and do upper body one session, lower body the next and jump back and forth. It will help you allow ample time for muscle recovery.
While the exercise will help a lot, do keep in mind that 80% of fat loss is diet. Try different foods and learn to cook. Fast food will burn you out fast since "grilled chicken" is usually the only thing on the menu that isn't utter garbage. It's going to have to be a permanent change in the way you eat in order to get long term results. Going back to 'eating normally' once you reach your goal weight almost guarantees that you will put it back on.

Old 08-17-2005, 12:12 PM   #8
(female)

Mstngfan HB User

Well the first method would make my calorie needs 3120.

The second says my BMR is 1614 at total rest and with activity I need 2582.

Does that sound about right? Weight = 240, Height = 5'6, Age = 26

When I look in the mirror I dont feel like Im the type of body that needs to lose 100 pounds. I have a big tummy that I hate but I think id be good at like 160 pounds because I have some muscle. I am not huge. I have a picture of myself I could put up here to share, are we allowed to do that?

Old 08-17-2005, 12:31 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Bell Jar HB User

Keep in mind that those are the calories you need to maintain your current weight. You'll want to start subtracting calories in order to lose weight, it's just important that you don't cut too many at once because it can backfire.

Old 08-17-2005, 12:31 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Just to add to the insanity, here's the formula I use:

Men: 1x bodyweight (kg) x 24 = N
Women: .9 x bodyweight (kg) x 24 = N

N x BodyFatMultiplier = BMR

Body fat- -------------------------------Multiplier
Men 10 - 14 %, Women 14-18%- ---------1.0
Men 14 - 20%, Women 18-28%- ---------.95
Men 20 - 28%, Women 28-38%- ---------.90
Men >28% Women >38%- -------------.85

They really aren't all that different. You get fairly close (and certainly close enough to get a good start). Hasn't failed me yet.

We're not allowed to post pics, but only you know your body. If you would be comfortable at 160, then aim for that. Weight is such an arbitrary number that doesn't account for our genetic differences. Finding a weight/size that you can indefinitely maintain healthfully is what is most important. Good luck and keep us updated.

Last edited by Naxis; 08-17-2005 at 12:38 PM.

Old 08-17-2005, 12:57 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Bell Jar HB User

I agree. Women focus too much on the scale as it is. Besides, muscle weighs more than fat but is a lot smaller. It can be really misleading sometimes when you're losing inches but gaining weight.

Old 08-17-2005, 01:07 PM   #12
(female)

Mstngfan HB User

Yeah, I guess Im not even sure what weight I will look best at. Ill wait and see. I dont really let the scale bug me. Ive been hopping on in the morning before my shower every other day. Its weird because calorie wise if you do the mathematics i should be losing very quickly but between Monday and today Ive lost .6 pound.

That would frustrated most people but with the weight training ive been doing I dont feel bad. I am starting to feel a little better, not bloated. I can always tell the difference in the first week or two of a diet and exercise thing because I feel like Im not holding in all sorts of water and my tummy doesnt stick out as much.

Old 08-17-2005, 01:51 PM   #13
(female)

Mstngfan HB User

Another thing is Im really feeling the last couple days like I cant get enough food. I am hungry always like a half hour after I eat. I dont stuff myself like I did when I was eating fat food. I feel like im doing well calorie wise. So does that mean my metabolism is trying to speed up and needs more food?

Like today I had for breakfast a banana, and some life cereal, no milk just from a cup. Then I had 2 rice cakes for a snack. Then I worked out (i probably need to eat more in the morning before my work out because i always get starving during...) and I went and got the grilled chicken sandwich. Ate that when I got back at like 1pm. At 230 I had 2 cheese snacks, 80 calories each. At 4pm I had a yogurt with granola. Its a small thing but good. Now Im hungry again. Ive also gone through pretty much a gallon of water so far today. lol. I have a salad Im about to eat. Then I will do cardio, eat some oatmeal for dinner and be done for the day. I think thats about 1600-1700 calories. That should be ok right?

Old 08-17-2005, 02:30 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

You should still be eating more. No less than 2000 calories for sure. But try to avoid the carbs like cereal and rice cakes because they don't do much to cause a 'full' feeling and encourage fat storage. Adding some fiber and lean protein (to help you keep your muscle) will make you feel fuller longer. Drinking a glass of water with meals will help make you feel fuller too.

Old 08-17-2005, 02:42 PM   #15
(female)

Mstngfan HB User

Yeah I guess its just hard. I guess I should be replacing the carb things with fruit or veggies.

Closed Thread