It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2005, 06:11 AM   #1
(female)

katied1183 HB User
Need some thoughts on this: body fat or muscle?!

Hi,

I have a question for someone who hopefully knows a lot about fitness and generally how a person's weight might change in terms of fat vs. muscle when they start working out a lot.

My problem is that I know the scale "lies" to me because I've been doing a very regimented routine of cardio and weights for the past 2.5 months and have dropped about 2-3 sizes, however the scale still tells me that I am 150 lbs. and no matter how much i keep eating right and working out, it wont budge any lower. I want to lose at least another 5 pounds! (just FYI, for my body, that actually is thin -- i dont think its possible for me to go lower than 140) I should have measured my body fat percentage before starting my program, but I didnt, and now I feel like I have nothing to base my improvement off of!

For the record, I am 5'3" and about a size 6 or 8, and weight in at 150. What is your best estimate of my body fat percentage? I was 165 before starting my program, and definitely a lot flabbier! Any educated thoughts out there? Is there any way i can calculate my body fat without having to use one of those caliper (sp?) things???

thanks!

Old 08-18-2005, 06:27 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Bell Jar HB User
Re: Need some thoughts on this: body fat or muscle?!

Have you tried measuring your bodyfat with calipers? That might give you a more specific idea of where you're at.

You're obviously doing something right because you're going down in inches and dress sizes. The reason the scale is not budging is because muscle, although smaller than fat, is heavier than fat. So even though you're making progress you're actual weight might not change that much because you're adding muscle.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2005, 08:46 AM   #3
(female)

Meacoolgirly HB User

Im in the same boat, I start to feel that I am getting leaner and more toned but then I look at the scale and its the same!! Makes me go back to thinking that the exercise and healthier eating really isnt doing anything! Its very tricky, i say THROW AWAY THE SCALES!

Old 08-18-2005, 11:00 AM   #4
(female)

katied1183 HB User

hahah now THAT sounds like a solution! haha, seriously though, i'm not normally one to really care about the number on the scale, and i do realize that muscle weighs more than fat, its just frustrating because i would think that is IS possible for me to lose weight seeing as i am 150 and one can only gain so much muscle. i mean, its not like i'm on a body building program! oh welll, im just going to continue to work hard, because liek we all know, even if the scale isnt moving, nutrition and exercise are always good for you! plus i definitely dont want to gain those 15 pounds of fat back!

Old 08-18-2005, 11:21 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

The best way to judge your progress is by clothes. I have clothes that fit me when I weigh 150 down to 115. Its interesting to see that sometimes I fit into my smaller clothes even though my weight only moves slightly or not at all.

Old 08-18-2005, 01:38 PM   #6
(female)

bostonlover HB User

I would definitely get a fat caliper that way you know with a level of certainty what your body fat % is.

Old 08-19-2005, 05:28 AM   #7
(female)

townlake HB User

Am also in same boat - have been doing this for 6 months - am definately losing fat but scale stays the same - I know the scale works cause if I go off the strict diet for even a day, it screams with wheelies as it goes up - and if I go back to eating right, it goes back down to the same thing it was when I started 6 months ago. I had a high fat percentage (45%) okay I heard the gasps - My question is this - will I someday be a size 6 and still weight 185? I am 5 3 1/2 - So, if I keep up the trainging 3 days a week (weights, etc with personal trainer) and cardio 2 days a week (at lest 30 minutes) and keep my diet to about 1200 calories a day - I will someday be a size 6 and weight 180????

Closed Thread