It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2005, 08:41 AM   #1
(female)

jackie09 HB User
Squats and Lunges--everyday?

Hi,
I want to tone up my legs and arms and was planning on doing squats and lunges for the legs. My question is should I do them everyday( 50 of each, while holding hand weights) or every other day. Also what is a good exercise for back of arm toning? Thanks!!

Old 08-24-2005, 08:43 AM   #2
(female)

goldenseal HB User
Re: Squats and Lunges--everyday?

Every other day! According to fitness professionals, your muscles (particularly in your rear end) need a day to rest. Crunches can be done every day....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2005, 09:02 AM   #3
(female)

AllysHeart HB User

Hi, Jackie!

I don't really know for sure about working any part of the body everyday. I agree that muscles need a day to rest, buy my husband tells me that legs can be worked everyday. I would think you would get very sore and stay sore if you did squats and lunges everyday.

Be careful about your position when doing squats and lunges. Make certain that your toe extends out in front of the knee so you won't be prone to injure your knees. Also, when performing squats, push yourself up on your heels, not your toes. Your toes should come off the floor everytime you stand up from a squat.

Squats and lunges are terrific for the rear and legs! If you have a machine at the gym for leg extensions, do as many of those as you can. They will develop the upper thigh and give beautiful definition to the upper leg. I do leg extensions twice a week, 4 sets of as many as I can do each time.

For arm toning, you can work your front and side shoulders with two 5-lb. weights. For the front, holding the weights, raise your arms extended straight out, palms down, shoulder height. Do about 12 or 16 of those, 3 sets. Then do 3 sets of raising the arms, palms down, out to your sides straight out. Be careful, as this shoulder muscle can injure easily with too much weight or repetition.

For biceps, you can use heavier weight, to do bicep curls. Followup with triceps. Bend your knees and bend over, holding the weight with your elbow bent at your waist. Extend the arm back until it is straight, focusing on the tricep. Do as many as you can, being careful not to creat a cramp, as these can hurt for days and prevent you from being able to exercise soon after.

I learned how to lift free weights with a video by Corey Everson, back in 1990. Her video was easy to follow, and she is an interesting teacher. Maybe you can go to your neighborhood video store and rent a tape or DVD for a few days to run thru all the exercises that can be done with free weights. I think free weights exercises are very relaxing and produce excellent results.

Old 08-24-2005, 09:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Hi, Jackie

I did a half-hour's worth of vigorous sqats and lunges yesterday, and I don't think I could again today. I'm sticking with a good, long, brisk walk tonight. Tomorrow I will probably go with a body ball routine, which just feels good all over, then another walk on Friday, then my squat and lunge day on Saturday...then rest!!! I'm finding it helpful to mix it up a little, you know?

I'm sure folks are different, but I'm usually pretty sore the day after squats and lunges and I think my body is telling me, "Please do something else today!"

Just my $0.02

Lysne

Old 08-24-2005, 09:54 AM   #5
(female)

camille23 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie09
Hi,
I want to tone up my legs and arms and was planning on doing squats and lunges for the legs. My question is should I do them everyday( 50 of each, while holding hand weights) or every other day. Also what is a good exercise for back of arm toning? Thanks!!
hey there,
you definitely don't want to work your legs everyday! you would be completely shooting yourself in the foot. your muscles need time to recooperate. when you work a muscle, you are really tearing down the tissue and that's why you need to eat protein right afterwards so the protein can go into the torn muscle tissue and build it up. also, if you're still really sore the next day or even the day after that, don't work that muscle again. you won't be getting anywhere if you do that. wait a couple of days, at least 2 days in between body parts.

also, someone told you in one of the previous responses that when you're doing squats to make sure your knee goes over your toe,,,,,,I'M SORRY BUT IF YOUR KNEE GOES OVER YOUR TOE WHEN YOU SQUAT YOU WILL REALLY INJURE AND POSSIBLY DESTROY YOUR KNEECAPS!!!!! WHEN YOU SQUAT, MAKE SURE YOUR KNEE DOES NOT GO OVER YOUR TOE TO AVOID INJURY!! I KNOW THIS BECAUSE MY BOYFRIEND IS A PERSONAL TRAINER AND SO IS MY BROTHER AND THEN I BECAME ONE A FEW YEARS BACK. same thing when your do your lunges as well,, DON'T LET YOUR KNEE GO OVER YOUR TOE.
Anyway, squats and lunges are really good for your legs so work your legs at least twice a week. good luck

Old 08-24-2005, 10:58 AM   #6
(female)

jackie09 HB User

Thank You all so much for your responses!!Everyone is so nice on these boards.How long do you think it takes to show results if you're consistant?I already walk for exercise and I have a standing job.I also don't want to lose weight( I wouldn't care if I did, just really trying to tone!! )Do you think 6 weeks, or eight to see definite results? Again Thanks!!!

Old 08-25-2005, 04:08 AM   #7
(female)

lazedays HB User

hiya!! Ya know your doin your squats right when you can wiggle your toes. I had a instructor who always said, when you sit back enough to do propper squat, you should be able to wiggle those toes!!!! Also, put a chair behind you, and go down just enough so that your almost sitting, after doin that for a while, you'll be able to remove the chair.

Old 08-25-2005, 05:50 AM   #8
(female)

katied1183 HB User

hi!

just to clear up, no one on this thread said anything about that fact that you "should" extend your knee past your toes -- the first poster who described how to do a squat said to make sure your TOE extends past your KNEE -- i think the way that was written was just confusing, but it was correct technically, so no worries, i think everyone knows that your knee should never go past your toes! lol just wanted to get everyone on the same page!

anyway, in response to the question of time from the original poster, i started taking a kickboxing class and a step class at my gym two months ago (so 8 weeks) 5 - 6 days a week. the kickboxing class that involves lots of "donkey" kicks and side kicks (great for your butt!) and also a lot of squats and lunges. and the step class is, well exactly what it sounds like lol, and step is literally like an hour straight of doing stairs and stair type exercises so it DEFINITELY gives a great butt workout. everyone is different, but for me it took 4 weeks to see results, as a result of those workouts AND making sure i was losing fat (caloric deficit of about 600 calories everyday).

it's been 8 weeks now and the results are incredible! my thighs have slimmed down so much (two pant sizes!) and my butt has definitely lifted. what i love about squats is that since they build up your butt MUSCLES your butt becomes toned but still stays rounded and you dont lose any of your natural shape or curves -- and according to ALL my guy friends, a little junk in the trunk is a VERY good thing .

good luck with whatever kind of leg routine you are continuing with, if you stick with it im sure you'll see results in 3 weeks or so, especially becuase it does not sound like you have any fat to lose really. have fun!

Old 08-25-2005, 12:23 PM   #9
(female)

AllysHeart HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by camille23
hey there,

also, someone told you in one of the previous responses that when you're doing squats to make sure your knee goes over your toe,,,,,,I'M SORRY BUT IF YOUR KNEE GOES OVER YOUR TOE WHEN YOU SQUAT YOU WILL REALLY INJURE AND POSSIBLY DESTROY YOUR KNEECAPS!!!!! WHEN YOU SQUAT, MAKE SURE YOUR KNEE DOES NOT GO OVER YOUR TOE TO AVOID INJURY!! I KNOW THIS BECAUSE MY BOYFRIEND IS A PERSONAL TRAINER AND SO IS MY BROTHER AND THEN I BECAME ONE A FEW YEARS BACK. same thing when your do your lunges as well,, DON'T LET YOUR KNEE GO OVER YOUR TOE.
Anyway, squats and lunges are really good for your legs so work your legs at least twice a week. good luck
Please read the post once again. It was stated correctly the first time. Please be careful not to mis-quote.

Last edited by AllysHeart; 08-25-2005 at 02:03 PM.

Closed Thread