It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2005, 06:04 AM   #1
(female)

katied1183 HB User
what kind of running shoes????

I was wondering what all of you use for your running/workout shoes? What kind have you or do you use that absorbs a lot of shock and withstands a lot of beating up? I run on average about 4 miles 3 times a week and then on the other days take cardio classes like kickboxing and step at my gym for 90 minutes or so.

The last pair of sneakers I bought was about 2 months ago, a little less maybe, and they're already wearing down and making my heels sore b/c theres no shock absorption left, not to mention i've had shinsplints for the past two weeks. they hurt!!!!

Old 08-25-2005, 09:46 AM   #2
(female)

Jogaholic HB User
Re: what kind of running shoes????

What kind of running shoes you wear is a completely personal thing, it all depends on what is comfortable for your feet and how much support you need. I personall have had a history with shin splints so I run in Brooks Adrenaline shoes and have had no problems - however I also had orthodics made to fit my feet for extra support. Do you have any problems with your legs when you run? If not I would just say try out different shoes that are comfortable for you until you find something that suits your needs. I usually change my shoes every 3-4 months depending on mileage, but if yours are wearing down go ahead and get new ones. Often times if you go to a store that specifically sells running shoes/apparel they will let you try out the shoes and bring them back if you had problems, no questions asked.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2005, 01:00 PM   #3
(female)

AllysHeart HB User

My favorite brand of athletic shoes is Adidas. That's for me, personally. I simply cannot wear Nike brand, as they do not fit my foot properly, in fact, they are very uncomfortable. I have a pair of Reebok in my closet that I do not wear for workouts, as they seem to rub my foot wrong when I run. So, now the Reebok shoes are for wearing with nice shorts.

I presently have 3 pairs of Adidas, the oldest of which is a yard shoe! My favorite Adidas shoes are practically worn out, and I would like to find another just like it, as it has a nice springy heel. The pair I wear to workout is a nice pair of Adidas. The soles on the Adidas shoes have "Torsion" imprinted. I just ordered a new pair of Adidas "Torsion" from the internet, and I expect them to arrive within about a week. I like to have 2 pairs of workout shoes to alternate.

Everyone's feet are different, and people have specific requirements for their athletic shoes. Just as I cannot wear Nikes, there could be a particular brand that does not fit you well.

I believe the women's Adidas "3-D Torsion" is excellent for absorbing shock, feeling comfortable and durability. HTH!

Last edited by AllysHeart; 08-25-2005 at 01:21 PM.

Old 08-26-2005, 02:45 AM   #4

knotme HB User

whatever fits and feels comfortable to YOU. People have told me Asic or New Balance are the better than Nikes and Addidas. You know what? I can't tell. New Balance fits better, but the balls of my feet hurts. Asic are supportive, but the gel feels "foreign". Gotta tell ya, Nikes feels great after they've been broken in-but, they don't last long, about 6 month for me. Classic Addidas are great too. I love'em; but they don't last. Guess "made in china" sucks. I run at least an hour daily, trail and asphalt.

Old 08-26-2005, 01:07 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hitmen HB User

It's all a matter of personal preferance. I prefer Adidas over most brands. Right now I'm a big fan of the Adidas Clima Cool sneakers.

Old 08-26-2005, 06:20 PM   #6
(male)

tomh HB User

I'm not partial to any brand, but for solid support, my last two pairs have been Brooks - Adrenalin and Beast. Also wear orthotics for plantar faciitis.

Old 08-26-2005, 08:10 PM   #7
(female)

troubled_teen12 HB User

My personal preference is Nike. I went to a running shoe store, and they measured my foot, and teh arch and figured out the type of foot, and the shape of my foot, and they found the shoe that was best for me. Of course that had many other brands, but the one that fit me the best was nike. Maybe you could go to a shoe store and get sized and fitted for some shoes, and try them out to see which ones fit you the best. I wish you the best of luck in finding some new shoes!

Old 08-27-2005, 12:18 AM   #8
(female)

cryingskies HB User

I work at a shoe store actually lol, and have for a while, they are getting ready to make me assistant manager lol...I love my job and I hate it at the same time, sometimes the public can be so horrible to deal with .. . but for a good running shoe, one of the very best u can buy is an asics hurricane....they should have it at any lady footlocker....I knkow our footlocker doesnt carry it, but some in the bigger citys should, or champs....its pretty pricy tho.....I run in my nike shox cogs....they are so comfortable and I love them.....I use them when I'm running like more than 3 miles.....if ur gonna be running like two miles or less a nike impax works great, but if u take it more than two miles they will hurt ur feet....if u try them and find u really dont like those than try a air max 97......ugly as all get out but when u put it on ur gonna fall n love with it, its really comfortable......if u check out those shoes and find ur not into any of them just let me know and ill dig out a few more for u

ps....u mentioned about shin splints.....u get them because of ur shoes or the type of ground ur running on.....paved roads are horrible to run on, u should be n the grass....also hills are horrible to run on, I know u think that ud be doing more or burning more running on hills, but they are a great way to get shin splints....so if uve got hills its better to walk down and up the hills and then continue ur run....also to help with them u need to alternate with hot and cold compresses like 15 minutes each and then when ur not doing that take ace bandages and wrap the bottoms of ur legs tightly, but not enough to bother ur circulation and wrap them from right above the ankle to tthhe knee......it should help a good bit.....

Last edited by cryingskies; 08-27-2005 at 12:21 AM. Reason: to let ya know about how to help ur shin splints

Old 08-27-2005, 10:01 AM   #9
(female)

d90210 HB User

hi! I would recomend having 2 pairs. one seperately for running only, and the other for xtraining etc that you would use at the gym. keep your running shoes only for running, wearing them for other activities wears them down much faster and they arent built for it (ie different ankle support etc) just like you shouldnt try to run wearing shoes designed for basketball.

Old 08-29-2005, 07:40 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hitmen HB User

I also think it's a good idea if you have two pairs of running shoes and alternate between the two of them...they'll last longer this way than going through one pair of shoes and on to another.

Old 08-29-2005, 08:38 PM   #11
Inactive

SparkleBuggy HB User

Wow..I am so surprised that no one has mentioned the REAL way of purchacing a running shoe. As a long time runner and runs 40 miles a week, I will give you my best experience. I would highly recommend going to your local running store and allowing them to fit a shoes for your running needs. There are different types of shoes for different running forms. As for me, I have extremely narrow feet and ankles ( size AA) and w/ high arches. So, most shoes at your Foot Locker or Champs will not fit. I have to get them from a running store, in which they have to order them. If you think they are going to be more expensive, guess again.

If you live in a major city, you should have a Fleet Feet. They will find a shoe that fits your needs and then let you run on a treadmill. They may even tell you to take your shoes off and walk on the treadmill first. This is so they can determine your running style.

As far as using the same shoe for running and cardio, just remember you need to change your shoes every 300 miles. So, if you are also using them for other things, they are going to wear a lot faster. I generally have a couple of pairs. My running shoes are only used for running, so I can keep my milage accurate. Although, I can tell when they are getting old, my knee starts to hurt.

Good Luck and be sure to get the correct shoes for your running needs!

Last edited by SparkleBuggy; 08-29-2005 at 08:41 PM.

Old 09-23-2005, 09:43 PM   #12
(female)

rltaylor HB User

SparkleBuggy - You took the words right out of my mouth (or should I say fingertips?)! Going to a running store and getting fitted for shoes is the only way to go. First, you need to figure what type you need (cushioning, stability, etc.) and then you try on several pairs until you find a pair that fit you perfectly! I just recently went to Fleet Feet and purchased a new pair, after trying on 10 pairs! I've been running in Adidas for years and recently discovered Asics Kayano. I love them!

Closed Thread