It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2005, 10:01 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Andrew29 HB User
Unhappy Does weightlifting cause acne?

I want to know if anyone gets acne when they weight train, more specifically, when they bulk up?

I'm an ectomorph and I've been trying to bulk up in the past with no success. The reason I was unsuccessful was because my diet did not have enough calories.

One day I changed my entire diet and added a low-sugar weight gainer. I started to gain weight. However, my acne worsened greatly. Initially, I thought it was the weight gainer that was causing my acne. So, I stopped using the weight gainer. I also gave up weight training because without the weight gainer, my diet was not good enough for bulking up. My acne improved.

I started to use the weight gainer again, but have not started to work out. My acne is unaffected. I have come to the conclusion that it might be the weight training that is causing my acne. It makes sense doesn't it? The weight training increases testosterone, which in turn causes acne.

Does anyone find this to be true? Keep in mind, that people who are not susceptible to acne will probably disagree with me.

Last edited by Andrew29; 08-28-2005 at 10:02 PM.

Old 08-29-2005, 05:34 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Bell Jar HB User
Re: Does weightlifting cause acne?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew29
I want to know if anyone gets acne when they weight train, more specifically, when they bulk up?

I'm an ectomorph and I've been trying to bulk up in the past with no success. The reason I was unsuccessful was because my diet did not have enough calories.

One day I changed my entire diet and added a low-sugar weight gainer. I started to gain weight. However, my acne worsened greatly. Initially, I thought it was the weight gainer that was causing my acne. So, I stopped using the weight gainer. I also gave up weight training because without the weight gainer, my diet was not good enough for bulking up. My acne improved.

I started to use the weight gainer again, but have not started to work out. My acne is unaffected. I have come to the conclusion that it might be the weight training that is causing my acne. It makes sense doesn't it? The weight training increases testosterone, which in turn causes acne.

Does anyone find this to be true? Keep in mind, that people who are not susceptible to acne will probably disagree with me.

Do you shower and wash your face immediatley after working out? You're probably sweating and wiping it off and this could cause more acne as well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2005, 07:11 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Also make sure you're drinking LOTS of water. It's really important for both weight training and clear skin.
Your theory has some validity, but truly, try increasing water intake before you ditch your efforts entirely. Literally a gallon a day. It will make a difference. And do be dilligent about cleaning after workouts also.

Old 08-29-2005, 07:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hitmen HB User

Andrew29, I also used to think working out (weightlifting, cardio, etc) had a negative effect on my skin because I was sweating, increasing testosterone, etc. I found it to be quite the opposite, my skin was actually getting much better. I'm not discounting your theory because it could very well be true in your case. However, I would take the opinions offered and use them. Take a shower immediately after finishing a workout. If it takes time to get home, be sure to rinse your face with some cold water before leaving the gym. Also, drink lots of water, it helps flush out tons of toxins and does wonders for the skin. Good luck!

Old 08-29-2005, 08:50 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Andrew29 HB User

Thanks for the replies. And to answer your questions, yes, I do shower immediately after I workout. I would like to hear more people's opinion, especially from people who add excessive calories in order to bulk up.

Old 08-29-2005, 10:56 PM   #6
(male)

Skigomaniac HB User

Yeah, I am an ectomorph aswell. I have the same exact story as you. I tried in the past with no result. Now I am on a bulking diet and getting fantastic results (17 pounds this summer) But yeah I noticed my acne is getting worse. This past week I havnt been sticking to the bulk diet very well and I've been slacking on the lifting (very busy with work and school) and my acne went away. Kind of weird. On a side note I was my face with neutrogeina (salyiclic acid 2%) two times a day and it's helped a ton

Closed Thread