It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2005, 12:39 PM   #1
(female)

BECKYAO HB User
Arrow Any Input On Getting A Better Workout...

Ok As Some Of Yall Might Have Read Ive Been Posting Alot Because I Just Started Getting Into Working Again. I Been Reading And Reserching And Have Read Alot Of Interesting Things. I Know There Are A Few Trainers On This Board So I Was Hoping They R Anone Else Good Give A Little Tips On Ways To Get Better Workouts. For Example Some Things Ive Read And Please Correct Me If There Wrong.
1. First Thing In The Morning Drink A Very Cold Glass Of Water To Jump Start Ur Metabolizim.
2. When Working Out Do A Short Warmup First But Then Go To Weights And Then Ur Cardio Workout. So Ur Heart Rate Is Already Going And Itllburn More Fat This Way.
3. Within In Hr Of Duing Weights Eat Some Protein To Replinish Muscles. This I Cant Rember Much On. If Yall Know Could Yall Please Elaberate.

So Like I Said I Only Read So This May Not Be Correct But If Yall Have Any More Tips And Advice Please Share I Wanna Make Sure Im Getting The Most Out Of My Workouts. :d

Old 08-30-2005, 04:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: Any Input On Getting A Better Workout...

I don't know about the validity of the water starting your metabolism. Eating something in the morning will get metabolism going because food is something to metabolize. Water really isnt. If you are doing weights, you ought to eat a little something first. Your body does not use fat as fuel when in the anaerobic pathway (weight lifting) so you're using glycogen (blood sugar - which is very low or not present in the morning) or it will begin to eat up the muscle tissue to use as energy, and you don't want that. A small piece of fruit is ideal (I use a small apple). Cardio on an empty stomach is usually ok, but not for weight training.
#2 is right on. Warmup, weights first, then cardio. Just make sure you're lifting heavy enough. As per your las post, you seem to be lifting way too light. If it's too easy, it's a useless workout.
#3, carbs are just as important as protein after the workout. And I wouldn't wait an hour. Within 30 minutes of your last rep you should have something to eat. A protein shake would be ideal, but if you dont want to do shakes, some protein and a fruit will suffice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2005, 07:34 PM   #3
(female)

BECKYAO HB User
Wink Re: Any Input On Getting A Better Workout...

Naxis Thanks For Replying Your Always So Helpful. My Weight Lifting Is On A Schedule And It Has Been Modified By A Trainer Today. Today I Did Upper Body And I Could Only Do 1 Set Of 12 Reps. So He Has Definatley Put Me On The Right Track. Next Week I Will Start Duing 2 Sets Of 12 Reps. My Way Was Definatley Not Right. I Was Only Doing Like 2 Machines For Legs And Upper Body. He Has Me Targeting All Muscles With Several Machines And Increased My Weight Also To Where By Rep Number 5 Or 6 Im Definatley Feeling It.

Old 08-30-2005, 09:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Awesome. You'll be buff and lean in no time.

Old 08-31-2005, 07:11 AM   #5
(female)

kitykat610 HB User

Hi Naxis...I've heard that women should lift lighter weights so they won't bulk up...but you advise heavier weights for women? I'm so confused!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naxis
I don't know about the validity of the water starting your metabolism. Eating something in the morning will get metabolism going because food is something to metabolize. Water really isnt. If you are doing weights, you ought to eat a little something first. Your body does not use fat as fuel when in the anaerobic pathway (weight lifting) so you're using glycogen (blood sugar - which is very low or not present in the morning) or it will begin to eat up the muscle tissue to use as energy, and you don't want that. A small piece of fruit is ideal (I use a small apple). Cardio on an empty stomach is usually ok, but not for weight training.
#2 is right on. Warmup, weights first, then cardio. Just make sure you're lifting heavy enough. As per your las post, you seem to be lifting way too light. If it's too easy, it's a useless workout.
#3, carbs are just as important as protein after the workout. And I wouldn't wait an hour. Within 30 minutes of your last rep you should have something to eat. A protein shake would be ideal, but if you dont want to do shakes, some protein and a fruit will suffice.

Old 08-31-2005, 08:30 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Who ever told you that is wrong. Women lack the testosterone to become bulky. You will not become muscle bound on accident. Any musclular women you have ever seen has probably worked very hard to become that way. Light weights have been used for way too long as just another cardiovascular exercise. But it's some lean muscle that will provide good muscle tone, higher metabolism, better immune function, hormone regulation and (most importantly for women) better bone density as you age.

Old 08-31-2005, 12:59 PM   #7

Sixbells99 HB User

Woman have 15 to 18 times less testosterone than men. There is no physical way you will bulk up and put on masses of muscle. If you build muscle as a woman you will look athletic and slender and very fit. You will not look butch. If you go the with light weights youíll take a very long time to achieve this athletic slender look if ever. Also for the first few weeks of lifting weights you will not grow any muscles instead your muscles will just get more efficient at recruiting more muscle motor units. Focus on muscle building the right way and you will get amazing results quickly and you will look very feminine Also remember that your muscles donít suddenly grow at a certain number of reps. Muscles canít count. They respond to stress or overload, they only grow, bigger / leaner etc if they are faced with a stress they cannot cope with.
For a muscles to grow three things need to happen.
1. Overload
2. Recovery period for the muscles to repair itself after overload
3. Growth beyond the level it was before after it has repaired itsself and your entire nervous system and body has recovered from the stress of the overload.

Poor overload and your muscles will have no need to grow as the stress is not enough. Train to often and youíll impend criteria 2 which will lead to certainty that growth will not happen.

Be it 8 reps to 80 if on the last rep and your not struggling to lift the weight with good form your going to have very mediocre results. Focus on doing the exercise in perfect form. Read up on the machine and the muscles it targets and focus on those muscles when you lift. Focus and intensity can have massive benefits when lifting weights. To give you an example I only do two exercises for my shoulders with one set per exercise 6 to 8 reps, every 6 to 8 days. Yet at the end of that set Iím total wiped out and can barely put my arms above my head. In fact sometimes I have to get my wife to help take my t-shirt off before a shower because my arms are so blown. Not suggestion you do that but to many people go through the motions in the gym. 3 sets 8 to 10 are fine or 2 sets of 20. I would even suggestion just one set of 20 if you go to failure however 8 to 10 is better in my view. Focus on perfect form and targeting the muscle. Do that and you can have a super quick weight training session with great results. Also remember rest is as important as the exercise. Also donít just make up your own routine there are plenty of good beginner programs out there on the net weight training workouts that work are good for beginners. Weight training is as much for woman as men and you will not turn masculine. Thatísí a myth. At the end of the day muscle overload is the key ; you must lift weight that challenges your muscles and forces them to adapt and grow, they donít count, they response to stress and they then need adequate rest to grow.

Closed Thread