It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2005, 04:39 PM   #1
(female)

.Dot HB User
Question Cardiovascular/squats Question!!!!!

Hey... I'd really love to work out my butt at home, by doing lunges and squats etc. Unfortunately, I dont have ANY time to do the recommended; 'do cardio for atleast 30 minutes before doing muscle work like crunches and lunges etc'. I literally have no time... I'm at school until 4, then on the days I don't have drama club, I have SAT classes, yoga class (on sunday)... and pretty much 4 hours of homework! You get the point... would doing lunges and squats followed by stretching, every other day during the night or morning do anything? Or would it just be a waste of time without the cardio?? I really appreciate the help... I NEED IT! THANKS

Old 08-31-2005, 05:17 PM   #2
(female)

cat3883 HB User
Re: Cardiovascular/squats Question!!!!!

i work out with a personal trainer. She has me warm up for 5 minutes then I do squats and lunges during my strength training. THEN I do my cardio. I hope this helps. Oh yes, make sure you stretch real good before. Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2005, 05:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

You don't have to do 30 minutes of cardio in order to work the butt. Just doing lunges or squats or running stairs or whatever whenever you have time will help. Better than doing nothing, thats for sure.

Old 08-31-2005, 09:08 PM   #4
(female)

.Dot HB User

Naxis are you assuming this? Or do you have proof/have you done research?

I'd love to believe you... hbut I need a few more comments that prove this, before i start, just to be sure

Old 09-18-2005, 04:34 AM   #5

Sixbells99 HB User

I agree with Naxis here what he is saying is right.

Iíve never heard of needing 30 min cardio warm-up before lifting weights. Be it lunges, squats or bench-press. There are two elements to warming up, the first is to get blood pumping in the muscles and to reduce the risk of injury, the other is to give you focus and a practice run of the exercises just like a golfer does a practice swing.

I also see no point in warming up muscles that will not be used in an exercise. If you were going to warm-up for swimming you wouldnít lie flat on a chair and flap your arms and legs about. Same principle for weights, if your going to do squats and lunges then warm up with squats and lunges. Just pyramid the weight up. For example first do 20 squats with no weight. Then add 40% of the weight you want to work with and then do another 20 wait 3 mins and then start. Now youíve warmed up ever single muscle that will be used in that exercise as youíve been warming up doing that exercise. If you do 30 minutes of cardio on a bike or a stepper you would have been working your heart muscle well, but you will still be much more prone to injury than someone who has warmed up with the method I suggest. As your cardio would not have targeted to a higher enough level the exact muscles that are going to be put under strain.

Also if you want proof go and look at the training schedules of people like Dorian Yates & Mike Menzer. These guys trained with absolutely massive weights yet sometimes their whole weight training sessions would last 15 to 20 mins. Thats half the time of this recommend warm-up! Believe me these guys made sure they were warmed up and they did it very quickly useing the methods I outlined above. You donít need 30 minutes to warm-up. Just do the exercise with no/lighter weights and higher reps and get up to about 40% of your working set rate

Old 09-18-2005, 09:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Exactly. 30 minutes isnt a warmup. It's a workout. Warmups are very important, but theres no need to get out of control with it.

Old 09-19-2005, 07:02 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat3883
i work out with a personal trainer. She has me warm up for 5 minutes then I do squats and lunges during my strength training. THEN I do my cardio. I hope this helps. Oh yes, make sure you stretch real good before. Hope this helps.
You shouldn't stretch BEFORE doing your routine. In fact, it seems to cause more injuries. Instead, you need to warm up your muscles to prepare them for work by doing light cardio for 5-10 minutes. Stretch AFTER your workout when you are more limber.

Closed Thread