It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2005, 12:38 PM   #1
(female)

wannatone HB User
how is my workout plan? help!

hi, im a 21 yr old female. i am 5"7, and around 132 lbs. I really want to tone up and lose a few pounds in the process. I just started working out again about two weeks ago. I have worked out on and off for awhile, but always ended up stopping completely. I think my problem is that I was doing too much too often before. I would be ridiculously worn out after my workouts. I would workout as intense as I could, borderline wanting to fall over. when I didnt see results after like a month, i just end up giving up. now im getting serious about it again, and i want to be smart this time and stay motivated.
my major concern is my legs. I HATE my flabby calves. no matter how thin ive been, my calves have always been big and flabby. i really really want nice legs. I also wouldnt mind slimming down my thighs, toning my butt and I have a little big of belly bulge id like to lose. my goal is to have some good results by christmas.

heres what ive been doing:
3-4 times a week- 30 min fast walking at 3.8-4.1 on treadmill and just 2 incline (was doing 4 until i read that that will make me gain lots of muscle)
20 pushups everyday
35 lunges (was doing everday, but iread on here that you shouldnt do them that often?)
chair leg lift/stretch excercise (10 on each leg) every day
leg stretch/ kick exercise (10 on each side) everyday
25 side cruches everyday
yoga move, leg stretch (sitting on floor, touching toes with both hands and holding for 30 seconds) 1 time for each leg everyday

as far as diet goes, i eat very well. im vegetarian and eat mostly healthy food. i dont count calories but my meals are balanced. it consists of beans, wheat breads, pita bread and hummus, yogurt, soy milk, fish, nuts, bananas, odwalla juices, salad, sometimes pasta, and a little dairy. would it be good for me to start counting calories? i typically eating high fiber cerials in the morning, like granola and raisens, is this not good?

any tips? please help! it would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2005, 03:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: how is my workout plan? help!

1. I would bump up the intensity of your cardio. Walking is literally the bare minimum. Jog, use the elipticals, roller blade, jump rope, HIIT... whatever you have to do, keep pushing your body or it will just get used to the routine and it won't be doing much good. Power walking is ok, but higher intensity = more calories burned. Get the most out of your workout.
2. Your strength training isn't too bad, but dont work *any* muscle every day. Maybe work upper body one day and lower the next, but the muscles need time to rest and recover. You might consider doing a little more havy work also. Building some good lean muscle will help increase metabolism and increase fat burning. Pushups are ok, but you're not working your back, biceps or shoulders. If you can do pullups, that would be awesome. If not, some kind of row exercise will do the trick. And just in case you're worried, this will not make you 'bulky'. You will see tone before you will ever see bulk. Women just don't have the testosterone to become muscle bound on accident.
Have you ever worked your calves? I know you don't want to make them any larger, but you can tone them up and make them firmer by adding maybe one calf exercise each week. As you get leaner (and you don't really have very far to go) the tone will be more noticeable.
3. Count calories, at least for a little while. Get in idea of how much you're actually eating now. Start a food journal and keep track of a week or so. Don't forget to include all drinks, condiments, snacks and such. It will give you a better idea of what needs to be changed. Here's a diet 'basics' post. Might help you organize macronutrients to your best advantage: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?p=1824895#post1824895
Hope that's helpful. You can accomplish a lot by Christmas if you're persistent.

Old 09-03-2005, 08:16 PM   #3
(male)

supercelebs HB User
Re: how is my workout plan? help!

ur not gonna add in any bulk with the strength training ur doing.. if you want to lose weight that mine work.. but dont expect to add any muscle with wat ur doing.

Closed Thread