It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2005, 02:11 PM   #1

ShawnaS HB User
weight training after Yoga?

I am starting a Yoga class at my college next week that is twice a week, and I plan on going to the gym afterwards to do weight training. I plan on going to the gym three to four times a week. Is this a good idea? I am only 5' tall and 90 pounds, so I don't want to lose any weight. I would like to have a toned/in-shape body. Any suggestions or comments? Thanks!

Old 09-02-2005, 02:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: weight training after Yoga?

There's really no reason not to. Just make sure you're eating enough to accommodate all the activity and enough protein to facilitate weight training. And allow at least 24 hours recovery time for each muscle group, which can be alleviated by working different muscle groups each time (or every couple times).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2005, 02:46 PM   #3
Veteran

armadillo pie HB User
Re: weight training after Yoga?

I weight train and do yoga. I do them at home - free weights and a yoga practice I do from years of going to classes.
First you did not say what type of yoga, as some yoga practices are more intensive then others. Yoga classes usually last 1 to 11/2 hours.

When I do my home practice ( every other day). I do weights first for 30-40 minutes. Then following that I do 30 minutes of yoga and streches. I find this works well and I am not over taxing my muscles.

When I went to classes- I would weight train on different days then yoga, as yoga can be and is very concentrated on certain muscle groups. Yoga alone gave me a very strong sleek body. Combined with weights I felt stronger.

I feel you should not do them together unless you do as I do at home. It is too much on you muscles and you can injure youself. If you weight train lightly at the gym and do not stress you muscles too much then possibly a yoga class afterwards may be alright.

You will feel results in a month but it really takes several months or more to see the results. Weight training has defined my muscles ( especially in my arms and back) and yoga has gives me a straight and strong back. You need to be consistant to get the full benefit. I usually work out most days of the week, rotating, but give myself at 1 day rest.

Closed Thread