It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2005, 12:58 PM   #1
(male)

ksaguy HB User
what did i do wrong in the Abdominal exercise?

hi all.
well i have a double chin. which worried me all my life.
then i decided to get rid of it and since you cant Spot reduce, i am on diet and start some excercises like push-ups and sit-ups.
i always noticed when doing sit-ups, my chin, the double one, used to have preasure on it when lifting up. i used to put my hands behind head and only tried to lift my shoulders but no matter what i did, i could feel contraction in my chin (the fat/flesh right under the chin below toung 'Double-Chin').
and after a few weeks of good sit-ups and nice abdominal muscles (although not visible due to f***ing fat layer), i noticed my double chin looked BIGGER. i freaked out. and its turned into a perfect muscle like a thihg. as hard as thigh. its HARD. and when i try to touch my tongue to the upper part (plate) of my mouth, the chin kind of loks like frog's.
i am so scared
is this normal?
should there be a muscle? is that the fat that freaking me out? is there a muscle under that double chin that has formed and everyone who exercises should have?

i totally do not deserve this after so much DIETING and so much dedication.

i think i need a warm hug.

Old 09-05-2005, 01:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: what did i do wrong in the Abdominal exercise?

Neck muscles are always strained a little when doing crunches and situps, but no amount of exercise should make those muscles exceptionally larger. Tighter and more solid, possibly. I'm having kind of a hard time picturing what you're describing, but is it something that anyone else in your family has? A double chin isn't necessarily the result of being fat. A small lower jaw/chin might make the flesh under the neck more pronounced, but that is a genetic disposition. No exercise will change your bone structure. Posture and overall leanness can minimize the look though. How lean are you now? Since we can't actually see you, you have to make a really honest and critical evaluation of yourself.
*warm hug* just for good measure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2005, 03:43 PM   #3
(male)

ksaguy HB User

thank you very much Naxis. i really need that hug.

well my mother has double chin (a soft one) and my sister too.
Please dont tell me that i will have to live with this Thing under my chin.
posting pictures is against the rules otherwise i would have shown you the CHIN!

well just to give you the idea:

Sex:Male
Height: 5.11"-6.0"
Weight: 156 lbs/70.5 kgs
Waist: 31
i have broad shoulders and all and every doctor i visited commented on my structure and said that i have very heavy bones and thats really good.
i have been 156-160 lbs for almost 7 years. when i was 12 i looked 17, Tall and broad not to mention the french beard traces. i was always teased by my school mates. anyway
wat should i do next?
i was havig enough trouble with the soft chin but could fake it by extening neck longer when need so that it wouldnt be that notcieable, but now, its a muscle.

Old 09-05-2005, 03:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

It might just be strained. Give the muscle a chance to relax. You really don't seem overweight based on your stats, but perhaps a little weight training would help you to gain some good lean muscle and will help you to shed some of the fat as well (without losing too much total weight). Otherwise, just watching your posture is about all you can really do. But wait until you lean out a bit before you dispair. (And remember that no one is more critical about your appearance than you are.)

Old 09-06-2005, 08:39 AM   #5
(male)

ksaguy HB User

Oh god please let it be Sprained. Thanks Naxis for your reply.
i sure did get some help.
i have been noticing some strange changes in my body. i was absolutely normal guy. as soon as i turned 19, i have been noticing changes in me. like noticeable double chin, chubby face, and a little pot belly.
i have also noticed one thing that it all started when i started exercises. i had to leave the gym because it as very time consuming (had to study for exams).

do you think all these are related?

Old 09-06-2005, 08:58 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Well, it's possible. Hormones do odd things. But like I said, if it's just resulting from recent fat gain, then it can be fixed. You don't have to work out like a maniac. Just cleaning up the diet will work wonders.

Old 09-07-2005, 08:19 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

stuckmissy HB User

Just my thoughts here....double chins run in my family..i have a very small amount of the fat or whatever under my chin..i notice it more than anyone else because i'm looking for it. Anyway..here's a little story for you...my grandmother always had a very large double chin..and we as grandchildren always wondered if we would also get that..some of us did and some of us didn't and some more than others..genetics!!! Dang It! Anyway my grandmother has lost some weight and wouldn't you know it that double chin is half the size it was. Still noticeable but nothing i panic about now. For my self i know when i started to lose weight i could still see that double chin trying to show itself. However i think that what happen was i lost weight from my face and i could see it under my chin and neck more. I've now lost most of that little bit of fat under my chin it just hung around longer than in other area's. Again genetics! Stick with it and i think you'll be just fine. Best of luck.

Closed Thread