It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2005, 03:51 PM   #1
(male)

broken_thread HB User
My exercise regime - please help (PART 1)

I'm planning to embark on an exercise regime. I have browsed various internet sites in an attempt to figure out what best suits me, and I'd be grateful if you could make comments on what I've come up with.

I'll provide you with some context. I'm 18, I'm of average height, and I'm slim. I weigh around 8.5 stone - that's about 54kg. My intention is not to build lots and lots of muscle - I do want to develop my muscle mass, but not massively, and I want to lose some body fat and tone up a bit. I want to give particular attention to my thighs - while they are quite slim, there is some fat there which I really want to shift. In terms of diet, I usually eat sensibly, but I do tend to eat a bit between meals. Nothing particularly disastrous - perhaps a packet of crisps and a biscuit per day - but I know that this can have an effect. As a result, I aim to continue eating three balanced meals a day, but to cut down on unhealthy snacking between meals.

This is what I've come up with. I've categorised the exercises into categories according to the part of the body which they are supposed to help. There is quite a lot of overlap, as some of the exercises were originally placed under a number of categories on the websites.

I'd really appreciate it if you would be able to critique the regime. I really want to know if I'm going wrong and, if so, how to improve.

Thank you.

------------

A.) Walking - around half an hour of brisk powerwalking (half of which will be uphill).

-----

B.) Chest:

1. Lie on your back and grasp your weights with the palms of your hands facing up, and your arms outstretched to the sides. With your elbows slightly bent, lift your arms above your chest until your hands are almost touching. Return to starting position and repeat.

2. Lie on your back and grasp your weights with the palms of your hands facing up, and your arms outstretched above your head. Grip your weights and bring them over your head and down to your hips, by your sides - a semi-circular motion. Lift back to starting position and repeat.

3. Sitting with your back straight (preferably supported) and legs straight out in front of you, hold your weights in at your chest with your elbows out to the side (parallel to the floor). Push your arms out straight in front of you then pull them back in. Repeat.

4. The classic push up. With your hands shoulder width apart place your palms on the floor. Stretch out your body with either your knees on the floor, or if you're feeling ambitious, your toes - so you are supporting your body weight. Keeping your back straight and using your arms lower yourself gently toward the floor until you are hovering just over it. Push yourself slowly back to your starting position and repeat. Remember - don't lower yourself to the point where you come into contact with the floor, it'll be much harder to push back up.

5. You will need a flat bench and dumbbells for this exercise. Lie on your back on a flat bench, holding one dumbbell in each hand. Push the dumbbells up to meet directly above your chest, so they are at arms length. Your palms should be facing each other and your elbows slightly bent. Keeping your arms slightly bent throughout the exercise, lower the dumbbells out to your sides until you feel a stretch across your chest. Slowly return your dumbbells to starting position. Repeat this exercise until you have completed your set.

-----

C.) Arms:

1. Stand with feet shoulder width apart and arms raised straight up above your head, grip your weights with your palms facing behind you. Slowly bring your arms forward and down, without bending at the elbow, until level with your shoulders. Lift back to starting position and repeat.

2. Standing with feet slightly apart, grasp your weights and bend at the waist until your torso is parallel to the floor. Extend your arms towards the floor with palms facing outwards. Lift your arms out to the side, keeping them straight, until parallel to the floor. Return to the starting position and repeat.

3. Standing with feet slightly apart, position your arms straight down in front of you almost against your body - with your weights almost touching. Bend your elbows and lift your weights towards your chin, bringing your elbows out to the side, in line with your shoulders. Return to the starting position and repeat.

4. The classic push up. With your hands shoulder width apart place your palms on the floor. Stretch out your body with either your knees on the floor, or if you're feeling ambitious, your toes - so you are supporting your body weight. Keeping your back straight and using your arms lower yourself gently toward the floor until you are hovering just over it. Push yourself slowly back to your starting position and repeat. Remember - don't lower yourself to the point where you come into contact with the floor, it'll be much harder to push back up.

5. In a sitting position with your back straight, relax your arms in line with your body. Grip your weights with your palms facing upwards and curl them up towards your shoulders, then back down again. Repeat. Keep your torso still and back straight, let your arms do the work.

6. Holding your weight with your arm outstretched in front of you, tilt your wrist up and down repeatedly. Try doing this with both an overhand and underhand grip on your weight. Do one arm at a time.

7. Stand with your feet shoulder width apart, and knees slightly bent. Keep your midsection firm throughout the exercise and your back straight. Hold a dumbbell in each hand down by your sides of your thighs, palms facing forwards. Curl the dumbbells up towards your shoulders until you feel the "pulling feeling" in your biceps. Now lower the dumbbells down to starting position and repeat exercise until you have complete your set.

8. Sitting on a bench or chair, have your legs extended out in front of you. Make sure your body is stable and your chest is out, keeping your midsection firm throughout the movement. Have your hands besides your backside and facing frontwards. Place your backside to the edge of the bench or chair, making sure the chair is secure and won't slip out from under you. Now lift yourself off the bench or chair, your legs should now be slightly bent. Lower your body down slightly until your elbows are nearly in line with your shoulders. Push yourself back up and lower your self down again without stopping. Do this for the required amount of reps.

-----

D.) Shoulders:

1. Lie on your back and grasp your weights with the palms of your hands facing up, and your arms outstretched to the sides. With your elbows slightly bent, lift your arms above your chest until your hands are almost touching. Return to starting position and repeat.

2. Lie on your back and grasp your weights with the palms of your hands facing up, and your arms outstretched above your head. Grip your weights and bring them over your head and down to your hips, by your sides - a semi-circular motion. Lift back to starting position and repeat.

3. Stand with feet shoulder width apart and arms by your sides, gripping the weights with palms facing outwards. Making sure your movements are slow and concentrated, tense your shoulder and upper back muscles, then slowly "shrug" them up and down.

4. Stand with feet shoulder width apart and arms raised straight up above your head, grip your weights with your palms facing behind you. Slowly bring your arms forward and down, without bending at the elbow, until level with your shoulders. Lift back to starting position and repeat.

5. Standing with feet slightly apart, grasp your weights and bend at the waist until your torso is parallel to the floor. Extend your arms towards the floor with palms facing outwards. Lift your arms out to the side, keeping them straight, until parallel to the floor. Return to the starting position and repeat.

6. Standing with feet slightly apart, position your arms straight down in front of you almost against your body - with your weights almost touching. Bend your elbows and lift your weights towards your chin, bringing your elbows out to the side, in line with your shoulders. Return to the starting position and repeat.

7. Stand with your feet shoulder width apart, and knees slightly bent. Keep your chest out and midsection firm, do not arch your back. Hold a dumbbell in each hand, with your palms facing forward and the dumbbells just above shoulder height. Your elbows should be bent and facing outwards. Now push up, in an arc type motion, so that the dumbbells meet at the top of the movement. Your dumbbells should be at arms length above your head and your elbows should only be slightly bent. Now lower down slowly and repeat to complete your set according to your program.

8. Stand with your feet shoulder width apart, and knees slightly bent. Keep your chest out and midsection firm, do not arch your back. Hold the bar in front of your thighs, with an overhand grip and your hands about 5-6 inches apart. Have your palms facing your body. Pull the bar up, keeping it close to your body, until it reaches you upper chest. Keep your elbows up (past shoulder height) and out. Lower the bar down slowly and repeat the exercise to complete your set.

-----

(CONTINUED IN OTHER THREAD)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2005, 08:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: My exercise regime - please help (PART 1)

Are you male or female? Are you doing all these exercises every time? (and for the record, it would be a LOT easier if you just researched and used the name of each exercise rather than a full description). Essentially you need to come up with a workout program that just hits each muscle group, maybe one exercise from each category at a time, doing about 3 sets of 10-12 reps each. Make sure you allow at least 24 hours recovery time for any muscle group that you exercise with resistance (weights or body weight).
For cardio, walking is really bare minimum. If you're only doing 30 minutes, walking is ok, but jogging or running is better. But any exercise you will do is better than one you won't do.
For diet, snacking isn't necessarily bad, although chips and biscuits are really not the best choices. Check out this previous thread for some basic dieting guidelines: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?p=1824895#post1824895
Hope that helps.

Closed Thread