It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2005, 04:56 AM   #1
(male)

broken_thread HB User
My revised workout regime

Okay. Following some advice from Naxis, I have revised my workout plan. I originally had about six or seven exercises in each group, and now I've managed to narrow it down quite substantially.

Just some context again - I am an 18 year old male. I'm of average height and slim build - my weight is around 8.5 stone (54kg). I am not muscular, but I do not want to build lots and lots of muscle. I realise that exercise does encourage the development of muscle mass, and I'm fine with that, but my primary aim is the loss of body fat. I really want to get rid of the fat from my thighs without building up the muscle so much that they look massive. Essentially, I want to "tone up", losing fat from my legs without building ridiculous amounts of muscle.

In terms of diet, I usually eat sensibly. I eat three balance meals a day - breakfast (toast/cereal); lunch (varies from day to day); dinner (structured meal containing meat/fish/chicken, potatoes/rice, vegetables). I do have a tendency to snack between meals, although not that much - perhaps a packet of crisps and a biscuit every day. I do aim to continue eating three balanced meals a day, but to cut down on snacking. If I feel hungry between meals, I plan to eat a piece of fruit, a handful of nuts, seeds etc. instead of chocolate or sweets.

I have tried to come up with a workout that will work on all my body's main muscle groups. I have been reading various sites which make a distinction between the exercises that make your thighs & butt bigger and the exercises that help to shift fat and "tone" your legs and butt. I have tried to pick exercises that will not make my thigh muscles balloon in size.

I would be grateful of any criticism. I realise that I've maybe not covered all the necessary muscle groups, and if this is the case, it'd be great if someone could suggest exercises that will "fill in the gaps", as it were. In particular, I'm having difficulty finding good exercises for my back. I really want to make sure that I'm doing the right stuff - that I'm doing exercises that are going to help me shift fat and won't result in MASSIVE muscle development.

Thanks very much.

----------

Cardio-vascular:

Walking - half an hour, brisk, some of which is uphill.

Exercise bike - half an hour.

Step machine (this thing [url]http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/le/leisurewise-step-up-machine.jpg[/url]) - 2000 steps (around 20 minutes).

--

Chest:

Push-ups (3 sets of 10 reps)

Lying dumbbell flys (2 sets of 15 reps)

--

Arms:

Push-ups (3 sets of 10 reps)

Standing dumbbell curls (3 sets of 10 reps)

Tricep dips (3 sets of 10 reps)

--

Shoulders:

Standing dumbbell shoulder press (3 sets of 10 reps)

--

Abs:

Sit-ups (2 sets of 25 reps)

--

Legs:

Standing calf raises (2 sets of 20 reps)

Dumbbell lunges (2 sets of 20 reps; 2 sets for each leg)

--

Butt:

Step-ups (3 sets of 20 reps)

Dumbbell lunges (2 sets of 10 reps; 2 sets for each leg)

Butt-blaster (4 sets of 10 reps; 4 sets for each leg)

[Description of butt-blaster: Kneel down on a mat with both knees directly under your hip. Next, pull your right knee towards your chest. Once you have brought your knee in as far as possible, immediately thrust your foot up towards the ceiling. Your goal is to extend your thigh up as far as possible while keeping your torso and upper body still throughout the movement. Finish the movement by bringing your foot back down, then immediately start over again by bringing your knee into your chest.]

Thanks very much for your help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2005, 07:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: My revised workout regime

Rows, pullovers, or pullups will work your back sufficiently.
One thing to note, you will NOT accidentally become massive. Ever. And likewise, no specific exercises that cause massive muscle gain. The muscle bound guys with tons of muscle work very, very hard to become that way. Muscle gain like that comes from a porper bodybuilding diet and very heavy and usually frequent lifting. Running the gauntlet of standard exercises using weight that you can do 10-12 reps per set with will not make you meaty. It may add some lean muscle, but don't expect it to "balloon" you out. That said, the addition of muscle will in fact help your body to burn more fat. You can't exactly "shift" fat around, but as you increase your muscle mass, your metabolism will increase and while the scale may not move much, you can become leaner in the process. Diet is a big part of that, so just eat clean, do your exercises maybe 3x a week (and cardio as often as you feel like doing it) and you should get some great results. With the addition of some back exercises, you will have a very well rounded program there. And don't eliminate the rest of the exercises you had listed before entirely. Change up your workout every few weeks for variety. It will help keep your body from adapting too quickly and spice it up a bit.
Also bear in mind that fat loss is 80% diet. Exercising will increase muscle tone and help burn some calories, but eating clean is what will really make or break your journey to your goal.
Good luck.

Last edited by Naxis; 09-06-2005 at 07:07 AM.

Closed Thread