It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2005, 08:42 AM   #1
(female)

sammy726 HB User
Just cardio for weight loss?

Hello everyone. I'm female, 25 yrs. old, 5'5" and I weigh about 170 lbs. right now. I want to lose 45 lbs. to get back down to a size 4 - 125 lbs. I'm planning on doing the Suzanne Somers diet, which my mother and several of her friends have lost weight on. My question is, I was thinking of just concentrating on cardio only for the first month or so, until I lose the first 20 lbs. and then add weight training once I get down to about 150 lbs. Does this sound like a good idea? I just think if I do an hour of cardio 6 days per week it would really get the weight to start coming off. Any advice/info. would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2005, 02:50 PM   #2
(female)

imaginejoy HB User
Re: Just cardio for weight loss?

Me and one of my girlfriends tested doing just cardio versus cardio and weights....We did 30 minutes of cardio for 5 days a week, over a period of 2 weeks. We did not change our diets at all. We did not loose any weight at all.

The past one month we have been doing a total of 30 minutes of cardio, plus 30 minutes of weight training. She has lost a total of 7 pounds in 3 weeks and I have lost 2 inches off my waist. And we've been eating the exact same as we were when just doing cardio

I asked my trainer why that is. He said that more muscle burns more calories, so if you are just doing cardio all you are really doing is just increasing your metabolism and improving your heart rate.

He also said never to measure weight loss in pounds. Do it in inches. Because muscle weights more than fat, the scales may not show that you are losing any weight. But measure yourself at the beginning of the month, try doing 30 mins of cardio, and 30 minutes of weights, then measure yourself at the end of the month. See what kind of results you could get.

Good luck to you in the weight loss!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2005, 03:53 PM   #3
(female)

Pandora_0729 HB User

ImagineJoy, did u do weight training everyday or every other day?

Old 09-09-2005, 04:50 PM   #4
(female)

imaginejoy HB User

I do weight training every day that I do cardio

Old 09-09-2005, 09:48 PM   #5
(male)

SaintAngerBH HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginejoy
I do weight training every day that I do cardio
From what I'm told that's actually counterproductive.

I was told that you should do cardio on days you don't do weight training because cardio inhibits muscle growth.

Old 09-09-2005, 11:43 PM   #6
(female)

imaginejoy HB User

I had heard that too. But once my trainer told me to do it both on the same day, I tried that. And since it's working great for me then it must work on some people at least. I'm sure everyone's different. Maybe some peoples bodies need a day of cardio and a day of weights. But mine likes it all on the same day, I've never seen results like I've gotten in just a month in my life before.

I do agree with mefit - I usually go to the gym sun, tues, thurs, and fri or sat, just so that my body does have that little resting period in between the weightlifting

Last edited by imaginejoy; 09-09-2005 at 11:45 PM.

Closed Thread