It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2005, 08:05 AM   #1
(male)

DonaldRamsey HB User
How fit can you get in 3 weeks

Hi,
I'm just curious about how fit someone can get over a 3 week period.
There's something i want to enter but i need to be really fit. At the moment i'm very unfit. Do you think that if i trained everyday for a month i would get close to being at my best, or do you think i'm crazy to think i can do this in 1 month? thanks

Old 09-09-2005, 10:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: How fit can you get in 3 weeks

3 weeks is barely enough to get through basic conditioning. Please, please, please don't kill yourself trying. Working out every day will do nothing but overtrain you and burn you out which will result in the exact opposite of what you want to happen. Overtraining will kill your immune system, cause muscle loss and fatigue and basically set you back further than you'd be moving forward. Jean's right on. It takes time and discipline. There are no quick fixes in fitness. Not to say that you shouldn't start and do what you can, but don't expect to become an olympian in a month.
What exactly are you trying to do and what are you training for? What kind of "fit" are you trying to attain?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2005, 01:07 PM   #3
(male)

DonaldRamsey HB User

Yeah, I knew it was gonna be impossible lol. The reason i was asking was because i need to pass a fairly strict fitness test for a new job.
It will be things like quick sprints/sit ups/push ups/endurance etc.
Whether or not I decide to try 'kill' myself as you put it is something i'll have to think about.
Thanks for the advice, appreciate it.

Old 09-09-2005, 01:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Good luck. Just a tip, to best use the time you have, make sure you have at least one day a week of rest, no exercise. It will help prevent over-training and give your body a chance to recover from... whatever you torture it with. And for things like pushups and sprints, allow one day rest between exercises working the same muscle group. In resistance type fitness, your growth occurs outside the gym.
Hope it works out for ya.

Old 09-09-2005, 02:55 PM   #5

Sixbells99 HB User

How many days you can train in a row and not over train will depend on your age and your starting fitness level. If your starting from inactive, meaning you havenít trained for at least a year. Well that first training session if not the second will probably put you out of action for 3 or 4 days. As youíll be so sore you wonít be able to train.

Also be warned highly intensive training without preparation could lead to a serious injury that you NEVER fully recover from.

When I was 17 I wanted to join the army and I knew one of the fitness test was to see how many times you could lift a barrel above your head. So at home I thought it would be a good idea to see if I could condition my upper body by taking weights and seeing how many times I could lift them.

Well I got as far as the bicep curl and I tried to do 100 reps straight up, well boy I messed my arm up. I hurt my tendon and you know what it has take 10 Years for me to fully recover from that injury!! For years Iíve always had t nurse it and that was all because I went like a bull at gate full on without first conditioning myself.

Iíll be honest here if you need to get really fit and have a very demanding physical then youíve left it too late, 3 weeks is not enough time. It might help us if you can tell us exactly what this test is and tell us about how often on average you train a week on a normal basis. Iím assuming right now that you do no exercise normally, however thatís a guess on my part and I donít really know enough about what this test is you have to past.

Personally for me the most important thing is you live to fight another day. Donít risk injury and risk the chance of passing this test in the future. If you are determined to train flat out as hard as you can take Naxis advice and rest. Also at least 2 days before the test ABSOLUTELY refrain form any exercise so you insure you body is recovered from the conditioning. But if you can give us more details about your fitness level right now and the test we might be able to give you more specific advice.

Old 09-09-2005, 09:41 PM   #6
(male)

tomh HB User

Don, if you are 50 like me, I recommend limiting vigorous exercise to every other day. It gives your body a chance to heal. You can walk every day and/or swim everyday. But running, strenous cycling, or weight lifting should not be on consecutive days.

You should start to feel better in less than three weeks, but fitness will take a while longer. Nothing like the present to get started, regardless. Good luck.

Closed Thread