It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2005, 01:55 PM   #1
(female)

imaginejoy HB User
How many days??

I am SO excited!....I have lost 2 inches of my waist in a month!! It's so nice to physically see results. Now I can finally keep this weight loss plan up because I know it works for me!!

What I have been doing is 30 mins of cardio, and 30 minutes of weights. I have been going on an average of 4 times a week. My diet is vegetarian, and I make sure I get enough protein and all of my nutrients that I need for a healthy body.

How many days of the week should I be going to the gym??...What is working for everyone else?. Just wondering if I only go 3 days in one week if it's bad and I should go 5 days the next week? Or should I be going 5 days a week to the gym regardless??

Thanks for any imput that you can give me

Old 09-09-2005, 03:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: How many days??

There is no formula that works for everyone. If you're having success, stay with it. If you need to skip a day one week, don't sweat it. You don't need to make it up the next week, especially since you need to allow sufficient recovery time after weight training. If you really want to, add another cardio day as 'penance' . But don't think that you're doing a serious disservice to yourself. As long as you're fairly consistent, you'll be fine. Congrats on getting such great results so far.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2005, 03:03 PM   #3

Sixbells99 HB User
Re: How many days??

There’s many different methods, formulas etc for how long and often you should train. A very basic rule of thumb is the harder you train the longer you should rest. But 3 or 4 days a week at the gym sounds good to me and should give you enough recovery time. You may also want to do some period training. There’s lots of good combinations for this and it keeps your workouts varied and interesting.

For example for one week train 5 days in a row but do a muscle a day 15 min workout. Then the next week train 3 days on alternate days and 2 days rest with a normal 3 set 10 – 12 reps. Then for two weeks train only twice a week on the weights and do a pyramid( heavy weight) workout with about 6 reps and build up your strength. Then after those two weeks do two weeks of circuit style training, where you train with lighter weights and aim for cardio and high reps with no rest between exercises in your circuit. Keep things varied and always keep your muscles guessing never letting them get comfortable.

But there are some basic rules with this type of training. Rest completely for 5 days every 8 weeks, never train the same muscle more than once a week, also always do your weight training before your cardio, unless your doing circuit training which is of course a mixture of the two. But the bottom line is experiment and see what best suits you and also listen to your body. If your feeling always sore and drained the day after then increase your rest periods. Or just take 5 days off to make sure your body recovers. Its not the case with cardio but with regards weights we need a lot more recovery time than we think and most people over train or train more than they need to. For example I just did my shoulders and biceps / triceps today

I looked at my training diary and realized the last time I trained them was the 28th of August, which is 13 days ago. I lift more weight than ever on the shoulder press and did 3 more reps on my lateral raises than I did last time. This showed me I needed that much rest period, for my shoulders to fully recover and also to grow. If you told me 2 years ago that I could train my shoulders only once ever 2 weeks and they would grow I would say you were nuts. So basically there are no hard and fast rules you need to find what works best for your lifestyle and your body. That could 4 to 5 times a week or that could be twice a week, both can be effective.

Closed Thread