It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2005, 04:31 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

firewtr38 HB User
yoga

I was thinking about trying yoga. I currently run 6 days a week, up to 5 miles a day. And I'm trying to take it easy because I've got some issues going on with my metatarsels (at least that's what runner's world says) and it says to try less impact for a while and less miles, etc. So I was thinking that yoga would be a good thing to get into.
Does anyone have any suggestions about good videos or resources to get started? I'm not really wanting to pay for a class just yet. I want to get the feel for it first. I'm much better at the whole solitary sport thing. So I want to do it on my own.
Thanks

Old 09-11-2005, 07:29 PM   #2
(female)

ProudVegan HB User
Re: yoga

Im in the same situation as yours. I run 5.5 miles at least 5-6 days a week. I started yoga recently and I absolutely love it. Yoga will help strengthen your body for a better work out. I dont stretch before running.. but yoga helps me relax my body and prepare me for an intense workout.

I have OM YOGA that was bought from Target and its a perfect start! It has flashcards with pictures that will help you better your poses. And its very simple.

I create my own poses as well.. its comes naturally for me. And you can do the same once you get into it.

Goodluck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2005, 09:15 AM   #3
(female)

Gainup HB User

Yoga is the best thing that ever happened to me, besides my hubby. I have been doing Bikram (hot) yoga for about a year now and love it. It has made me so much stronger and a lot more flexible. You mentioned you like to do stuff alone, believe it or not yoga is an individual activity. If your in a class, sure there are other people, but it's all about you. I would consider taking a class because if you've never done yoga, you may do it wrong or get some bad habbits.

Whatever you do though, give it a try!!!

Old 09-12-2005, 02:15 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

degen95 HB User

you really should get to a class. its so much better. you don't have to keep a year long membership, but definitely go to get some guidance from an instructor, then when you get a good conceptual grasp on the mechanics of the asanas and how to structure your own routine, you can do it alone since you like the solo sports thing...also, in a class, sometimes it feels like it's just you and the instructor anyway; generally its more fun too.

Old 09-17-2005, 05:37 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

firewtr38 HB User

I'm really having a hard time trying to fit in the yoga into my schedule. I run every morning and I can't fit it in because I'm already rushing in the morning. And I get up at like 5, I don't really want to get up any earlier. And I know that they say you shouldn't do it on a full stomach so it's hard for me to do it after work. Does anyone have any suggestions? When do people do their yoga?
I would love to do it in place of stretching but I'm still trying to get the hang of it right now so it's hard to fit it into a small amount of time yet.

Closed Thread