It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2005, 10:55 AM   #1
(male)

taihawk HB User
Wish me luck, I'm new (Long first post)

Hey all. I've really let myself go over the last several years. Back in high school I was very active and in great shape, then following high school I kept active, and worked very labor-intensive jobs. Then I got married and decided to go back to school......long story short, I really let myself go.

For the last 14 months, I've spent every waking hour away from my job in a bar. I'm probably dealing with alcoholism issues, but I'm gonna deal with that on my own for now.....gonna try to just really cut back. I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired, and at some point, I have to recover from my wife's death and learn how to live again.

friday I went to the doctor for the first time since high school. I am 34 years old, I have high blood pressure, am 6'1", and weigh 279 lbs. Today I have started a change in diet (eat a lot smaller portions, and healthy--had salad for lunch). I am going to cut back on my nights on a barstool, and start walking, jogging, etc.

this is where I need your advice. How should I get back into fitness trend. Should I start by just stretching and walking, or is that taking it "TOO" easy, or should I just stretch for a week, then walk, then eventually jog. What is the best way to start into this. I'm also going to start push-ups and sit-ups, and eventually maybe joing a small gym, but I don't want to start it all too soon, as I've done that before and failed.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY apprreciated, as this is the First day of the rest of my life, so to speak. thanks in advance.

Last edited by taihawk; 09-12-2005 at 10:55 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2005, 11:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: Wish me luck, I'm new (Long first post)

Good to have you here! Welcome and congrats on deciding to change things for the better. As a starting point, anything you will do is better than something you won't do, so to some extent you need to set your own pace. That said, walking and stretching are really bare minimum, so if you can commit to at least that much a few times a week, you're on the right track. Don't try too much too fast or you'll almost certainly burn out. As you get your body in better condition you'll see that it will be easier to do exercises, so increasing the intensity to jogging or running will be a progressive effort. If you want to start a little pushup/situp action, doing them before or after walking is a good start. One set is a decent beginning and you can add more later as you want to.
Basically, anything to get the heart pumping and blood moving is a big step in the right direction. Stick around, feel free to ask any questions, and keep us posted on how you're doing. I really do hope this is a turning point for the best for you. Good luck!

Last edited by Naxis; 09-12-2005 at 11:06 AM.

Old 09-12-2005, 12:43 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Dani Girl 78 HB User

I agree with Naxis, anything now is much better than nothing. I know how you feel to a degree. I've had 2 babies and I feel like my body is a deflated balloon. My hubby and I are starting to play tennis. I was shocked at how out of breath I was and how much I was sweating from just running that little bit. I really need to in gear too. I must say that today I feel GREAT, a little bit sore but I feel awsome. I can't wait to get back on the court and play. I hope that you are able to get in the groove and find what makes you feel better. GODD LUCK! and keep us posted.

Last edited by Dani Girl 78; 09-12-2005 at 01:32 PM.

Old 09-12-2005, 01:09 PM   #4

Daphnee HB User

I think walking is the best excersize there is! I never get bored with it like I would with an excercise video or in a gym. Also walking is safer on your joints and muscles than jogging is. Its your preference do the activivties you enjoy doing so that your weightloss and motivation stays strong and consistent.

Old 09-12-2005, 01:20 PM   #5
(male)

taihawk HB User

Yeah, I need to find something to bury myself into that is healthy. I'm gonna try working out. In high school, I was the heavyweight wrestler, but I couldn't gain enough weight. I only weighed 213 lbs at my max, but was always wrestling kids from 245-275. My dad was the coach, and wouldn't let me leave the table without having eaten at least 2 full plates. I just couldn't gain the weight I wanted to for wrestling and football.

If I could only have that problem now. Not to play woe-is-me, but I'm trying to find something productive to do with my time. For the last 14 months, I've been drunk and feeling sorry for myself (wife died of cancer at the ancient age of 31). I'm looking to get my life back now, but I haven't found the right thing for motivation. I think this will be it, as I'm really self-conscious about my weight and lack of any tone. My goal is to drop about 70 lbs over the next year (and NOT from my belly to my ***, either ).

Old 09-12-2005, 02:49 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

You'd be surprised how a gym addiction can replace a bar habit. I know a lot of poeple that seriously curbed drinking or stopped altogether because they felt like crap the next day in the gym. It's a real eye-opener to the damage that stuff does. I hope you find some constructive healing this way. Feeling better instead of worse.

Old 09-12-2005, 04:11 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

First, just wanted to say, so sorry about your wife. I can't even imagine the pain you must have felt and continue to feel. On that note exercise, eating healthy and getting in shape is a lifestyle change. You can really bury yourself in it. It is a whole difft lifestyle than your used to and will take up some time and give you a focus and a purpose. You can really turn things around. Best of luck!!! Any questions you may have along the way, please post, many people here do this as their job and really can help.

Old 09-12-2005, 07:45 PM   #8
(male)

tomh HB User

Your candor and realism will serve you well. You already have great advice in here. I'll offer some encouragement. Not everyone's story is the same, but please take heart that you can overcome.

I'm 6'-0" had heart surgery and a skin cancer removed. I was 48, weighed 245 lbs., and was relatively sedentary. One day - May 22, 2003, I left the doctors office with some nagging aches, pains and just didn't feel well. I used your exact words. "I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired".

So I started walking and eating less. Joined a gym to get some strength. After walking for several months, started jogging. I had played baseball in high school and was never "into" running. But now, I loved it and was it became a way to burn more calories. I started entering races. 5k, 10k half marathon. And 53 weeks from the epiphany, I ran a marathon, then later in the year another. I lost 40 lbs in the process. Still have more to lose.

I'm not pushing marathons, but encourage you do find your passion. Set some goals - small, incremental, and achievable. The more fun you have, they more you will stick with it. Dare to dream. I can't stress enough the power of goals. Your desire to perform and achieve a goal will help curb your interest in destructive behavior. The greater investment you make in your goal, the less likely you will engage in the bad stuff.

Please check in with your doctor before exercising with any intensity - especially with high blood pressure. Find some support to help hold you accountable and provide encouragement. You are not alone.

I wish you well. Check in and let us know how you are doing.

Old 09-13-2005, 06:05 AM   #9
(male)

taihawk HB User

Just a quick update. Last night, I got home and had that strong urge to go down to the bar to watch Monday night football with the guys. Instead, I decided to go for a walk. I walked 1.5 miles to my friends' house and visited with them for about 15 minutes. When I was getting ready to leave, he offered to give me a ride back, since he was going somewhere. I told them that I was pretty intent on walking. He actually seemed interested, and now wants to meet me a couple nights a week to join me!!!!!

Anyway, I walked back home, and along the way, stopped at a subway shop and got 2 six-inch turkey subs (one for last night, one for today's lunch---much better than those frozen banquet meals I've been living on), then continued my walk home. While watching the football game, I did some stretching, and then did some crunches......not many, just to get started on this.

I went to bed early, and got up this morning and went for a 3.5 mile walk, did some crunches and stretches when I got home, and had a bowl of oatmeal and an apple for breakfast. I'm gonna do this thing. Thanks for your advice all. I just have to be careful not to push too hard right off the bat like I usually do. It just bugs me to be out walking and see all these other people jogging.....I feel like such a putz, but know if I try to start jogging now, I won't keep it up.

Old 09-13-2005, 06:52 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

That's a fantastic start. Be proud of yourself.

Old 09-13-2005, 02:38 PM   #11
(female)

AllysHeart HB User

Hello, taihawk, and welcome to the Healthboards. Please accept my sincere condolences for the loss of your dear wife. You have made such a good choice in coming in to join us and strike up a conversation about your fresh start. You know the saying, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." Not only have you put much thought into your situation, you are acting upon your thoughts, and that's more like taking the second step.

I believe that keeping your mind motivated will help keep your body in motion. I agree with a previous post that there is such a thing as having a gym addiction. I get very grouchy if I get out of my gym routine over a couple of weeks. My gym routine is a necessary part of my life, as it somehow keeps me on track and focused. I get very happy during my workouts, leaving the gym with a bounce in my step and a big smile on my face!

If you have cable TV or satellite TV, you should be able to find a couple of fitness channels. I used to exercise to Gilad's "Bodies in Motion." He's great. There are lots of other exercise programs, as well. You can do them right in your own home, and they're finished in only 30 minutes, but can leave you invigorated.

Please come back often and visit with us. I'm interested in knowing how your exercise program is coming along.

Old 09-13-2005, 03:10 PM   #12
(male)

taihawk HB User

My first concern is dropping weight. With that will come some tone, I know. I plan on doing some light weights eventually, not for probably a month or so, will just do pushups/situps until then.....I want to ease into this.

Anyway, what are the best and most cost-efficient tapes out there that I could find that would do me a lot of good to start??? There are tons of them out there at the stores and advertised on television, but I assume you folks on here would know better than most which ones work and which don't.

Again, thank you guys very much. I'll probably have tons of questions over the next few weeks, so get used to my annoying posting habits.

Old 09-13-2005, 03:23 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

No worries. Thats what we're here for.
Try to sort through tapes/dvds that have a routine that you think you might enjoy. Honestly, anything that gets and keeps you moving will do you good. Pilates isn't bad, the Tea Bo workouts are good, The Firm are good too, but I know most 'programs' sell equipment or other stuff with them, so it's really up to you and how involved you want to get/how much you want to spend. A basic set of resistance bands is a great piece of equipment to have to start doing resistance workouts because they're cheap, take up no space and are pretty versatile. I'm not sure of any tapes that use them, but I'm sure there are some that do. Maybe check out the video store or Netflix to try some different ones and see what you like to do best.

Old 09-14-2005, 06:51 AM   #14
(male)

taihawk HB User

So, of course, this morning I'm pretty sore in the legs, back and abs. I stretched before and after walking. Is there anything else I should be doing/not doing?? I remember in high school you just worked through it, but I've found over the past several years that many things I learned in high school were not exactly correct. I'm not whining about the stiffness, heck, I knew this was coming, just want to know the PROPER way of dealing with it, if there is one.

Old 09-14-2005, 08:51 AM   #15
(female)

AllysHeart HB User

You're right, taihawk, that some exercises we used to do in school in the 60s and 70s have been changed, as some were found to be incorrect, thus causing injuries. I would tell you for the moment, not to actually purchase any exercise tapes, as that is a bit more expensive for you to find out what you do or don't like. Your local video rental store should have a library of exercise and fitness videos and DVDs available for you to try. I agree that Tae Bo is fun. I bought three of Billy Blanks' tapes, no extra equipment needed. There is a series of various "Buns of" or "Thighs of" Steel, etc. Perhaps you can research online some of the fitness tapes on the market.

I don't think you can go wrong with Yoga; that's sort of a "staple" in a fitness library. Free weights are always good to keep in the house.

You sound like a social person, which I think is a good attribute for someone wanting to belong to a gym. With a gym membership, you have access to all the equipment such as the treadmills, stationary bikes, weight machines and classes. You can see what others are doing, as well as having a personal trainer with you as you get started. I, personally, am enthusiastic about going to the gym, and I still feel like there is so much available for me to do in such a short period of time! Lots of variety there.

You have the right idea, that dropping several pounds is the best way to start. Changes in your diet can also trigger changes in your attitude. If you feel like you're doing something good for your body, your mind can become very motivated. It's a good cycle. The distance between your desire to become more fit and the inclination to stop at your local taverns will become greater. I would say, though, that if you don't actually have a problem with alcoholism, not to deprive yourself of visiting with old friends over a beer or watching a game. They would most certainly like to see you again and rave over the new you!

Best wishes for continued success.

Closed Thread