It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2005, 01:29 AM   #1
(male)

Sevalio HB User
Creatine + Bulking up Questions

Hey all. First off i want to say that this is my first post so woo for that. Im 6'2, i weigh 180 pounds roughly, i have a very slim figure and im 22 years old. I've never really did any 'serious' workouts before because i always got to bored working out or i never seen gains when i wanted them (i know i should be patient). I feel as if i already have a lot of muscle right now because most of my body is pretty firm.. im just not seeing that 'bulk'. Now as for the questions.. fyi.. i deeply apologize for all of the questions but i am seriously in the dark here when it comes to working out and i dont want to short myself when doing this. Any help i can get will be GREATLY appreciated...

1) If I take creatine will i ALWAYS have to take it after i've achieved the gains I want? I've read articles on how your muscle mass will return to how it was after you stop taking it.
2) What kind of foods (please be specific) should i eat.. how much of it and how often?
3) How often should I exercise my upper body? Once a day? Three times a day? Every other day? Etc..
4) Im a smoker.. Will smoking affect my workout and if so how can i get around the negatives? Work harder? Train longer? (Yes smoking is bad.. i'll try to quit in the future)
5) Since im looking to bulk up should i grab the heaviest weight my arm can lift? If so do i lift that weight until my arm becomes exhausted and then i wait for a minute and repeat? If so how often do i repeat that same exercise in one day?
6) If im using free weights.. (one in my left hand and one in my right) should i lift the weights at the same time or do something along the lines of right hand, left hand.. right hand, left hand. Or is it ok do lift like 10 times with the right hand and then 10 times with the left?
7) If my muscle begins to burn is it telling me that i need to stop lifting? Do i ONLY gain muscle when it burns? If my muscle doesnt burn am i gaining?
8) There is this creatine formula called XTRA CREATINE SERUMô WITH GLUTAMINE for roughly 44 dollars. I've 'never' bought creatine before so is this expensive? Also this claims to be used by bodybuilders and elite athletes so im curious as if i should buy into what they're telling me and purchase their product.

Im sorry for all of the questions but as you can see im an absolute newbie when it comes to working out. I'd just like to enjoy a few extra inches on my arms/chest so i didnt look so slim. Please if anyone can help answer some of my questions or even add in some of your own tips/tricks then by all means help me please. I appreciate everything. Thanks much

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2005, 01:18 PM   #2

Sixbells99 HB User
Re: Creatine + Bulking up Questions

Naxis advice is very good, creatine like any supplement will only help if you have all the other elements of your workout under control.
As for my own personal experience of creatine I find the stuff has such a powerful effect that I only cycle it every few months with normally a month on and 3 months off. I normally go with 5 mg a day as to reduce the water retention. After two weeks I feel like someone has put nitro in my muscles. The increase is strength is phenomenal, I also keep the strength after I stop my cycle. I use creatine as platform to increase my strength and the side effect of increased strength is over time increased size. Creatine works nothing like steroids and itís effects are probably 10 to 20% of what steroids will do. However steroids have a 100% more very nasty side effects, creatine virtually has none if taken correctly. Creatine basically allows you to go to failure later although there is some evidence it may have a small effect on muscle mass. If you workouts are not geared to total failure then you probably going to get low to perhaps no benefit. Creatine doesnít work for everyone and itís just a question of trying it and seeing how you get on. However you not really going to get any benefit out of it until you have a good workout progran, diet and good exercise form. Focus on those first for at least 6 months before trying it. Its no miracle pill, it will only help if you have everything else in place.

As for your questions :

1) If I take creatine will i ALWAYS have to take it after i've achieved the gains I want? I've read articles on how your muscle mass will return to how it was after you stop taking it.

Creatine doesnít build mass itís not steroids it will increase you reps to failure. But if you donít train to failure or close to it and with good it wonít have any effect. Also any strength you gain you should keep afterwards

2) Im a smoker.. Will smoking affect my workout and if so how can i get around the negatives? Work harder? Train longer? (Yes smoking is bad.. i'll try to quit in the future)

Smoking will probably have a 30% to 40% negative effect on your workout. Not only will it starve your muscles of blood reducing there ability to grow. It also eats away and destroys your central nervous system, there by limiting the number of muscles fibers a motor nerve can recruit. Basically your going to be at least 30% weaker as a smoker compared to a non smoker and the longer you smoke the greater that percentages increases by. Forget about taking creatine youíll have ten time the effect if you stop.

Old 09-15-2005, 05:49 PM   #3
(male)

big-mike1977 HB User
Re: Creatine + Bulking up Questions

Good replies guys. I've been training for a while and will be taking creatine myself soon. I thought it a good idea to work hard first and see what I could achieve through hard work (Maybe gettin the deads and squats upto a certain level) before trying creatine.

The only reason I posted in this thread is to say how bad smoking affects your performance. I'm from the UK and used to play soccer as a kid. I was smoking at about 13 and 14 years old and the difference it made to muscular strength and overall stamina was amazing. I'm glad I found out at that age. I have never smoked since.

I'm 100% sure it will badly affect weightlifting. Your muscles will burn and it won't be the type of burn you want.

Closed Thread