It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2005, 06:56 AM   #1
(male)

taihawk HB User
Here's what I'd like to accomplish

Over the next year, I have a few goals:

1. Lose about 60 lbs. (right now 279 lbs, 6'1")
2. Gain some tone/mass/size in chest and arms
3. Drop blood pressure
4. Stop smoking (2 days w/out now)
5. Really cut down on drinking (only occassionally in social scenes)
6. Permanently adjust eating habits
7. get a more active lifestyle

I know that all except 2 will work together. My question is about #2 listed there. What is the right way to gain mass in the chest and arms, and at the same time lose the spare tire (or two). Are these two goals incompatible, at least to be worked on simultaneously?????????

Old 09-14-2005, 09:07 AM   #2
(female)

AllysHeart HB User
Re: Here's what I'd like to accomplish

Quote:
Originally Posted by taihawk

1. Lose about 60 lbs. (right now 279 lbs, 6'1")
First, you should choose the diet plan. There are several that work very well for others. I think initially, simply cut back on calories, especially those contained in fat and sugar.

2. Gain some tone/mass/size in chest and arms
As you lose weight, you can lose muscle mass. Begin working out with free weights. To learn the various exercises and how to perform them correctly for optimum results, rent a DVD or video, or check your televsion listings for fitness programs.

3. Drop blood pressure
I wonder if perhaps you should consult your family physician. Have you had your BP checked recently? Are you on BP medication?

4. Stop smoking (2 days w/out now)
Good for you. That's tough. Quitting smoking can trigger weight gain. As a non-smoker, I cannot offer you help in this regard. I can tell you, however, that your lungs will love you for stopping smoking. As your lungs heal, you'll have an easier time with your exercise program.

5. Really cut down on drinking (only occassionally in social scenes)
This could possible help lower your high BP. I know some recovering alcoholics who have become busy beavers since they've stopped drinking. I don't know what it is about heavy drinkers who curb their habit, but I've noticed it makes them very industrious, and successful.

6. Permanently adjust eating habits
Perhaps you can joing Weight Watchers online. In the meantime, simply cut down on calories and limit your snacking to healthy foods such as natural peanut butter, fruit and raw veggies.

7. get a more active lifestyle
A suggestion here would be to find a walking buddy. If you live in an area that is close to mountains or lakes, consider camping or hiking. Just being outdoors is stimulating and there are opportunites to walk more or become active in water activities. Do you have a dog? If you have time for a new pet, a medium-sized dog would give you a feeling of being needed, and walking a dog twice a day is very healthy and a good way to meet people.
HTH!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2005, 09:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

At first, you will both lose weight (fat) and gain muscle tone so long as you are doing some sort of resistance training. Doing pushups, rows, dips, curls and such will help you to add muscle. But after your body peaks the conditioning phase, you generally have to gear diet/workout toward muscle gain or fat loss. It's very difficult to do both on a long term scale. But that's a bridge crossed later. Wait till you see how much you gain/lose in the interim before making that decision. You might be happy with the muscle you have once you reach your fat loss goal. If not, you can always change it up.

Old 09-14-2005, 09:19 AM   #4
(male)

taihawk HB User

Thanks guys,

Allysheart-----I went in for a physical for the first time in 15 years last Friday, in preparation for all of this. Like I said, I've planned it for a while now. I'm supposed to call to see what the blood tests, etc. showed, as I have no known family history (adopted). We are checking for everything....I want to know what I'm dealing with. Blood pressure is high, but not to the point we're panicking yet (143/96). Plus, I get worked up around doctors, so that may have accounted for some of it. We're giving it a month, then I'm going to check my numbers again. The doctor also said that after we get all the results in, he wants me to talk to a dietician to help me with a eating regimine that I will be able to sustain. This guy seems really good, and also good at caring for you as a whole, not just as a paying client.

Old 09-14-2005, 02:14 PM   #5
(female)

cat3883 HB User

Hi
I read your previous post and now this one. First of all, I want to say I am sorry for what you are going through. I know how you feel as i lost my husband when he was 30. I was 27 at the time with a 3 year old son. Time heals. I know you probably have heard this a kazillion times but it really does. I am now 46 and remarried for 4 years and very happy although there is still an emptiness in my heart, just not as gigantic as it used to be.
After saying that I want you to know that exercise is what you should be doing. I have been strength training since January and I am feeling wonderful. Although the pounds arent coming off like I had hoped, I have gained so much muscle that I am happy with my accomplishments. I have made new friends and I absolutely love working out. I have always had low blood pressure but in January my total cholesterol was at 204. 6 months after I started training it was down to 167. That is without medicine. Dont give up. When you are feeling down or feel as if you need a drink or a cigarette go to the gym or take a walk. Exercise is a wonderful thing.

Old 09-15-2005, 08:04 AM   #6
(female)

AllysHeart HB User

Hello, taihawk!

Your introduction to the Exercise & Fitness Board is such a remarkable one. I admire you for essentially picking yourself up and getting motivated to change your life. Fate threw a wrench in your ordinary life, and you have certainly reacted in a normal way to some degree. I am impressed that you have taken action, particularly in consulting a physician and are consulting a dietician. This makes me believe you are going to succeed in reaching the goals you have set out for yourself.

I hope I'm not getting out of line in saying that I also believe your "angel" has tapped on your shoulder and whispered in your ear because she does not want to see you lose years from your life following her death.

I hope you are feeling good about your decision to move forward with your plan and that everyday ends with you feeling assured you made the best of one day at a time.

Most important, I realize you're enthusiastic about getting back into good physical shape. I think it's important you remember to be careful not to over-exert yourself and get a muscle injury, which would be a setback. Know your limitations and work into it gradually.

Keep up the good work!

Old 09-15-2005, 08:26 AM   #7
(male)

taihawk HB User

Thanks, Allysheart. Yes, I am excited and am totally committed to this. Back in high school, I was extremely athletic, always had a bit of a gut, but that was out of design, as I was a lineman in football, and a heavyweight wrestler who was much smaller than the norm, so my goal in high school was to gain weight. After high school, was working in very physically demanding jobs and was active at nights. WEll, we all knows what tends to happen over the years, with physical activity ceasing, and sedentary lifestyle beginning to take charge. Enough of that.

For the last several years, I'd decide to start jogging or working out again, and within a week, I'd start doing it. I'd always overdo it pretty quickly, and then I'd get of course the sore muscles, or at times, my lower back (sacro-iliac) joint would go out, and before I knew it, 1-2 weeks of getting back into it would result in 2-3 weeks of basically no physical activity. Worse, though, than the soreness and back, was the fact that I don't think I ever really got myself fully mentally prepared. That is why I've approached it differently this time.

If I don't make some changes, I'll be lucky to see 50. So, its now the beginning of my fourth day without a cigarette, and I haven't had a beer since Sunday night. I've been walking a minimum of 3 miles each morning and evening, and tonight will be my second night of crunches, leg lifts, etc. Next week I'll start alternating in with some minimum push-ups and maybe some curls with a 25 lb. pair of dumbbells I have. I want to work into this slowly. Part of the reason I wanted to go to the doctor was to have some hard numbers and some solid goals to try to achieve. Right now, its my blood pressure. Sometime today, I should be getting the results of all my blood tests, etc......and I'm expecting to have a wake-up call with the cholesterol. I have some really solid goals weight-wise, as well. (Of course, since I'm an Iowa Hawkeye season ticket holder for football, this Saturday will necessarily include some cheating with a few beers and a couple bratwurst, as tailgating is half the fun, but I've decided that I have to give myself fun times like that, or this won't work either). Plus, after beers and brats, I'll be more motivated to try to work off what I went backwards with. I am excited to meet with the dietician, though, and really attack this. After 3-4 weeks of constantly doing this, I will be joining the nearby small-college rec center, with an indoor track, racquetball courts, and a small weight room. I'm waiting for that amount of time to be sure I'll keep this up, plus, the weather is still too nice to go indoors just to walk or jog.

You definitely weren't out of line with the "angel" thing. I think you might have a point there. She loved life very much, and was very healthy when this got her. Me, I've abused the heck out of my body, and guess which one of us is still around. Anyway, I hate what I see in the mirror, so its time to change that. I mean, I have tons of buddies my age (mid-30's) who do nothing but complain about how they'd like to make some changes, but between work, their kids' activities and their wives' honey-do's, they have no time to workout or lose weight. That's all I have is time, so why not do what I've always wanted to do, and that is to get in good shape, and be one of those guys who can actually see his shoes when he's standing straight up.

I did give myself this morning off from walking, though I'm going to walk tonight. That was just because I'm pretty sore, and because my walk last night lasted over 2 hours. Tomorrow morning, I've mapped out a more hilly course to walk.

Thank all of you for your encouragement. This is the kind of place I wanted to find, where you aren't seen as a nuisance, but are encouraged along the way. I can't wait until the next new guy comes on, and I can encourage him like you guys are helping me.

Closed Thread