It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2005, 10:54 AM   #1
(female)

hs1977 HB User
5 weeks and 3 days help

Good Morning, I'm hoping for some advise I have my 10yr high school reunion in approx 5 weeks and want to look great. I want to tone/firm my body and loose about 5-6lbs so I think it's doable. The thing is with all the great advice out there it is almost like too much information when I go to the gym and ask a trainer they always say what ever you like to do what ever you think you'll keep up. What I want is, if possible, someone to say do this exactly this and you'll have results. I will stick to any diet & exercise plan if someone lines it out clearly. I'm 28 female 5'6. Any workout out routines would be great I do have a membership at the gym so it can be anything. Thanks I just really want to walk in and be confident and feel great.

Last edited by hs1977; 09-14-2005 at 10:55 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2005, 12:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User
Re: 5 weeks and 3 days help

What is your starting weight? I think 5-6 pounds is possible, but you will have to work since I am guessing your weight is probably very reasonable already. If it were me I would be doing a 5 days a week of cardio 45 min minimum making sure my heart rate was high. Any cardio equipment is fine, the key is get your heart rate high. Also a minimum of 3 days a week of aggressive resistance weight training. Again how you break this all down will depend on your work schedule, etc. However, diet is the most important. I think if you keep your calories around 1500-1600 and try to eat a lower carb diet and make sure your getting about 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. Eat 5-6 smaller meals a day, instead of larger meals and keep it clean. Lean meats, fish, egg whites, veggies, low gI fruit, healthy fats, etc, you should be on your way. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2005, 12:54 PM   #3
(female)

hs1977 HB User

Thanks 125lb is my starting weight I'm about 5'5 1/2. I leave my house for work at about 6am so I don't have time in the morning but I can be home or at the gym by 4pm and I have no kids so I can do pretty much what I want once I'm home.
What would you suggest for the aggressive weight training?

Old 09-14-2005, 01:16 PM   #4
(female)

AllysHeart HB User

I might be able to help just a little. I wish you had given yourself about 3 months, because I am certain that you could achieve a reasonable weight loss and exercise goal within a little more time frame.

I can assure you that you can lose a quick 7 pounds in 2 weeks by following the low-carb, or Atkins plan. This is pretty much guaranteed, but it can be difficult and long to explain what you should and should not eat for the initial 2 weeks that can kick-start your weight loss.

I bought my Atkins books at a bookstore, but I don't know if they are available as they were 2 years ago. My husband and I follow the low-carb lifestyle and are having a great deal of success with it. Instead of my trying to give you all the details here, I suggest you visit your bookstore and buy the book.

A brief description of the induction plan for Atkins is to eat pretty much dry meat (no condiments or gravy), deli cuts and cheese, salads and eggs. You should totally omit bread, nuts, sugar, flour, rice, pasta, potatoes, alcohol, caffeine, and fruit for two weeks. You can eat vegetables such as lettuce, broccoli, celery, cucumbers, olives, cabbage. There is actually a very long list of permitted vegetables, but I don't have my list handy. Ketchup, barbecue sauce and salad dressings generally contain "high fructose corn syrup", which is a no-no. You need to get your daily carb intake down to 20 for two weeks, then in two weeks, you can add more carbs to eat a total of 40 per day. Drink lots of water and sugar-free and caffeine-free beverages, such as Crystal Light. That's it in a nutshell.

Concerning your exercise plan, I don't think I can draw one up for you, as I don't know your current physical abilities or your available time for exercise. You can never go wrong with walking. I usually walk 3 miles in 45 minutes, so I can tell you that if you have an hour, you can walk until you're very tired. Walking for an hour is great for the heart and lungs, and the legs will become strong and toned. If you have access to stairs, walk them several times a day.

Please be aware that within the next month, you'll be shopping for a new outfit for the reunion. If you lose 10 lbs. by then, of course your current clothes will not fit you well. You'll have to find an outfit that you'll feel good wearing to the reunion. Then, if you continue with your diet and lose more weight, the new outfit won't fit.

I hope your 10-year reunion is as much fun as my 10-year reunion was in 1983. We still talk about that one. There was a large attendance, and we all had a blast. Just be yourself, and let your self-confidence be obvious! I hope you become re-acquainted with some favorite classmates and make lots of new memories to carry you to the next reunion.

Come back when it's all over and tell us about it and how you did with your diet and exercise plan.

Good luck, HTH.

Old 09-14-2005, 01:52 PM   #5
(female)

hs1977 HB User

Thanks for the advice I was concidering something like atkins for a kick start definately. I'm in good shape healthwise I use to run 5-10km on a regular basis and did Tae Bo every morning for like 3 years as well as some weight training I have only been in the gym sporadically for the last year so basically I need to get back in the gym and loose the 7ish lbs I gained from stopping and some general toning as I loose. I know it will include Cardio for sure as bluehen94 suggested but I want to know what weights to do. I have been shown around the gym and have had demonstrations and workouts on the free weights so I'm not a beginer I just want to know which exercises are the best. I know so many that if I do them all I'll be at the gym for 2hrs and some seem repetative of each other so I was wonder which would compliment each other into a good work out?

Old 09-14-2005, 03:04 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

I have the exact same stats as you (weight and height) so let me just tell you it will be very hard to get down under 120, that is a difficult jump. By aggressive weight training I mean doing your sets to failure not just tossing around a 5 pound dumbell. Making sure that when you do a set whatever it maybe that you are only able to do 10-15 reps in good form and that last rep is a difficult struggle. if you are able to do more than 15 reps you need to increase your weight. This will help you build lean muscle and thus burn more calories. In terms of exercises I would say do 2 for each body part (excluding legs) 3 sets each at a weight level I described above, make your first set light as a warm up set the other 2 really push hard. With legs hit the quads, hams, calves, inner and outers if you have time using the same method. Realize that there isn'y 1 exercsie that is going to be so much more beneficial than the others its the quality of doing the exercise that matters. Also don't forget abs, 3 times a week, a day off rest in between. Good luck!

Last edited by bluehen94; 09-14-2005 at 03:07 PM.

Old 09-14-2005, 03:37 PM   #7
(female)

hs1977 HB User

Thanks I think I can do 115lbs if I work hard at it. so how's this
chest: chest press, inclined press
back: seated row, lat pull down
shoulders: lateral raises and shoulder press
Biceps: dumbell curls preachers curl
triceps: tricep kickbacks and rope tricep pushdown
legs: leg press, calf press, squats, lunges, and the thigh machine where you do outer & inner on two different machines
Abs 3x a week: crunches, reverse, ball curls and side crunches
Cardio 5x a week 45min
sound good?

Old 09-14-2005, 03:38 PM   #8
(female)

AllysHeart HB User

I rarely know what I will do until I step into the gym! One day might consist of starting out with about 20 minutes on the treadmill, stationary bike or cross trainer. I will then do 15 minutes of abs. I do the abs every session in the gym, regardless of what else I do. Then I will concentrate another 30 minutes on either upper body or lower body. I go to the gym twice a week, so one day is upper and the other day is lower.

I do a full 3 sets of whatever I have time to do. When I do leg extensions, however, I do 4 sets. I have been working my legs quite intensely this year. For upper body, I run thru a routine, but I can't name all the free weight exercises.

On Monday, I walked vigorously for 30 minutes, then abs and some varied upper and lower body on weight machines.

I can't stick to a particular routine written down. I kind of do whatever I'm in the mood for, but I make the most of my hour to hour and 15 minutes. Once in awhile, I will attend a class of Turbo Kick or Spinning. My gym also has a weight lifting body toning class, but I like to be on my own with the weights.

I'd say just go with the flow and do everything! Unless you're a person who needs more structure. If you need more structure, I know I've seen patrons at my gym who have a notebook and check off the exercises as they do them. The trainers give them these routines.

Don't place pressure upon yourself, as it could stress you out and cause you to abandon your good intentions. Keep moving, is what I advise, and the rest will come to you!

I think bluehen has a good program for you. I endorse her advice as being very good. Btw, I am about your size. I am 5/6" and keep my weight around 116 to 118. I had been up to 138 three years ago. I like where I am now, and am having an easy time maintaining. I think you will like being 7 lbs. lighter, as well. Be careful not to become ill when dieting.

I'm pulling for you - I'm sure you can do what you set your mind to!

Last edited by AllysHeart; 09-14-2005 at 03:44 PM.

Old 09-14-2005, 03:41 PM   #9
(female)

AllysHeart HB User

hs1977, your post was posted just one minute prior to mine being posted. Your plan sounds ideal. I'd go with it!

Last edited by AllysHeart; 09-14-2005 at 03:45 PM.

Old 09-14-2005, 03:55 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

I think your plan looks good, just as an FYI you might want to keep a day in between doing back and shoulders because if you do them on the same day or 1 day apart it kind of takes away from the latter if you know what I mean. Otherwise looks great, and most importantly keep the diet super clean as well as having good before and after workout meals.

Old 09-14-2005, 05:20 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hs1977
Thanks I think I can do 115lbs if I work hard at it. so how's this
chest: chest press, inclined press
back: seated row, lat pull down
shoulders: lateral raises and shoulder press
Biceps: dumbell curls preachers curl
triceps: tricep kickbacks and rope tricep pushdown
legs: leg press, calf press, squats, lunges, and the thigh machine where you do outer & inner on two different machines
Abs 3x a week: crunches, reverse, ball curls and side crunches
Cardio 5x a week 45min
sound good?
Yes, you can do 115 but why? At your height, your weight is already perfect, so why bother with weight loss? I think your routine will also conflict with your desire to lose WEIGHT. You see, with agressive weight training you are actually bound to GAIN weight because you will be gaining muscle mass. Your goal of losing weight needs to be modified to state that you want to get in better shape and be toned, not bone thin. I would not diet to lose weight but keep your present caloric intake (just be sure that it's a more or less "clean" diet) and concentrate on building muscle. Even though the numbers on the scale may not budge and may even go higher, the added "weight" will be from muscle and that's what you should aim for in order to look great.

Old 09-15-2005, 09:19 AM   #12
(female)

hs1977 HB User

Rita your right I want to get lean and tone and look great if the scale doesn't move but I fit back into some clothes then I'm happy.
Should I do all those exercises on one day or break it up?

Old 09-15-2005, 12:27 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

Gosh no, split it up making sure you have at least 1 full day of rest a week.

Old 09-15-2005, 02:17 PM   #14
(female)

hs1977 HB User

A friend suggested the body for life work out which is:
Day 1 - Chest,shoulders,back,triceps and biceps
Day 2 - 20min HIIT
Day 3 - Quads,Hamstrings,calves and abs
Day 4- HIIT
Day 5 - Chest,shoulders,back,triceps and biceps
Day 6 - HIIT
Day 7 - OFF
But this is only 3days of cardio the weights are approx 45min long so I could always add in 2 days of HIIT after that on day 1 & 3?
The meal plan isn't bad either it has shakes and bars you can buy and suggest eating 5-6 small meals a day every two to 3 hours which I could do the following
bf - shake and glass of water ( or egg white omlette)
snack - bar and glass of water
lunch - shake and glass of water (or salad with veggies)
snack - chk noodle soup and glass of water (or shake)
dinner - salmon, salad, small brown rice
snack - if necesarry something light maybe 1 slice whole wheat bread with 1tbsp of all natural peanut butter and a glass of water

Old 09-15-2005, 02:39 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

Body for life is good, but I don't think that program will get you the results you want as quick as you want them.

Closed Thread