It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2005, 12:58 PM   #1

HobbZ HB User
Once you've bulked up

I'm sure we all accept that the bulking phase will add muscle but also a bit of fat.

How do you go about losing the flab without losoing too much muscle? This is the cutting phase i'm referring to. And how long should itbe maintained? What kind of routine should be taken up?

Old 09-16-2005, 02:22 PM   #2

Sixbells99 HB User
Re: Once you've bulked up

You'll find a host of views on how to get ripped and there's probably just as many books. The simplest way to do it simply drop your calorie intake by 15%. That should allow you to cut fat without going into starvation mode.
When I reduce my calories to get a little more cut I also take Creatine to try and give me a little edge to offset the unavoidable muscle loss. At the end of the day Fat and muscle to some degree go hand in hand. Getting paper thin skin and body fats ratios of 4% are simply not possible for the natural bodybuilder so donít aim for that as illegal drugs are the only way to get that like that. Genetics also plays a big role in how cut you can get, so donít beat yourself up if you donít get as cut as youíd like.

For how long it should be maintained depends on how much you have to lose. The slower the rate the less likely youíll lose muscle so 2 lbs a week or even 1 lb would be advisable. . Even competitive steroid taking bodybuilders give themselves 10 to 15 weeks to get cut and they are dramatically helped with illegal growth hormones diuretics and of course steroids. So basically keep your fat in your diet low donít dramatically cut calories and aim for a slow but steady wait loss, with lots of cardio.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2005, 06:18 AM   #3

HobbZ HB User

Ok, and I guess it would help to continously carry out the high-sets low-reps procedure?

Old 09-17-2005, 11:34 AM   #4

Sixbells99 HB User

No that wonít make any difference also why would you be lifting heavy if you want to get ripped? Also if you doing low reps ( i.e. heavy) you shouldnít do to many sets, thereís no equation that says lower the reps the more sets you should do, in fact itís quite the contrary and most important factor is the intensity you train at.. If youíre trying to get ripped your not so interested in building any more muscle, therefore you should switch from heavy weights and low sets to something a little more aerobic and more inline with muscle maintenance. Circuit training, a muscle a day and super setting are more inline. But not low reps, thatís for building muscle. Of course if you up your cardio and reduce your calories youíll still lose body fat even if you are doing low reps. When Iím talking about low reps I mean from 2 to 6 reps, which I regard as heavy lifting and intense training, meaning I would do perhaps only 1 to 2 working sets and train less frequently to give the body time to recover as heavy lifting pust a lot of strain on the joints and connecting tissue.

Last edited by Sixbells99; 09-17-2005 at 11:37 AM.

Closed Thread