It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2005, 12:54 PM   #1
(male)

Husky McHusk HB User
Biceps

Guys I'm just getting back into lifting after 6 months of not being able to. I spent 3 years building my body up in college only to seriously break a bone in my wrist. I needed a pin to be placed in my wrist, and the doctor said its unlikely i'll ever have the flexibility in that hand to ever do a regular push up again. After rehab and wearing a bone stimulator all summer, I finally got back in the gym when school started up. I started off slow but now I'm starting to these muscles and feel the strength I had a around February.

I've always heard the expression "If you're not sore the next day then you didn't work out hard enough." or you didn't tear the muscles.

Well I've always felt sore after chest, triceps, shoulders, back, etc. But after the first 2 weeks I haven't been able to feel the soreness in the biceps.
Can anyone explain why? Should I switch up exercises, and can you guys recommend any good bicep work outs?

thanx

Old 09-17-2005, 02:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Biceps

Husky,

Muscles adapt. That's why progressive resistance increases are required to keep building them. If you do the same thing over and over, they stop getting sore but they also stop growing.

For biceps it's curls, curls curls...but vary the type of curl, the angle, and the resistance and you'll keep them growing.

Be careful of the wrist though.
Maybe a tight wrist strapping or splinting is a good idea.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2005, 02:20 PM   #3

Sixbells99 HB User

Soreness is not always the best measure. What about when you are performing the exercise do you feel the burn? Are you improving your strength? Can you lift more now on your bicep exercises than you did two weeks ago?

Iíd say give it more time and let your body get use to exercise again. If you have chosen a good routine and if you focus on good form, things will start develop overtime. If possible have some one spot for you when you do your biceps, so they can check for any mistakes in form.

If possible put your exercise program on the boards so we can take a look at it and see if this is a reason why perhaps you have problems with your biceps.

But I strongly recommend against any kind of bicep blasting high intensity exercises at this stage in your development. Just be patient and give it time, building muscle naturally takes patience, if you focus on good form and a sensible beginners program things will come together.

Last edited by Sixbells99; 09-17-2005 at 02:27 PM.

Old 09-17-2005, 02:40 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky McHusk
Guys I'm just getting back into lifting after 6 months of not being able to. I spent 3 years building my body up in college only to seriously break a bone in my wrist. I needed a pin to be placed in my wrist, and the doctor said its unlikely i'll ever have the flexibility in that hand to ever do a regular push up again. After rehab and wearing a bone stimulator all summer, I finally got back in the gym when school started up. I started off slow but now I'm starting to these muscles and feel the strength I had a around February.

I've always heard the expression "If you're not sore the next day then you didn't work out hard enough." or you didn't tear the muscles.

Well I've always felt sore after chest, triceps, shoulders, back, etc. But after the first 2 weeks I haven't been able to feel the soreness in the biceps.
Can anyone explain why? Should I switch up exercises, and can you guys recommend any good bicep work outs?

thanx
Maybe you aren't working them with enough weight or reps. You could also not be using good form; in other words, you could be using your shoulders and back to help lift the curls so the bicep is not getting isolated. Hard to say exactly; I'm not a trainer but I've done alot of reading and I've noticed stricter form and some delay on the eccentric movement of all my exercises has given me better results than before; I even lowered the amount of weight I use to be able to go slower/stricter movements and still gained muscle!

With your wrist, I probably would not use alot of weight.

Last edited by Jennita; 09-17-2005 at 02:50 PM.

Old 09-17-2005, 04:09 PM   #5
(male)

Husky McHusk HB User

Guys I really appreciate all the long, thought out posts. I will definitely take your advice.

I've been lifting for 4 years and everything seems to be bigger and more defined. My arms are big because I do alot of tricep work....but my biceps aren't where I want them to be.

I do one muscle group a day and workout 6 days a week for an hour. Biceps however, get tired after 25-30 minutes so I stop. I do dumbell curls 35 pounds 10-12 reps per arm. Then I'll do curls on a curling machine. 70-12x, 80-10x, 90-8x,100-6x. Then I use the cable cross over machine to curl above my shoulders...and finally I'll do 15 pound dumb-bells...with a variation of angles and high rep.

I try to switch it up though. But thats basically the bicep day.

Old 09-17-2005, 04:32 PM   #6

Sixbells99 HB User

Hi Huscky,

Thanks for posting your program. My first comments would be is I see a lot of different exercise to hit the bicep. But I didnít see any changes in intensity or rep or set range, or negatives. You should be looking to switch every 2 to 4 weeks. Also an hour for a muscle is a lot which means you must be training at low intensity. To give you an idea of how I train I do one working set on my bicep and just one exercise the bicep dumb bell curl and my biceps are bigger than they have ever been. I guess itís probably no more than 10 mins every 8 days or so using HIT techniques and it works.

However so does volume work but I think 1 hr is too much. Firstly I would recommend doing one bicep exercise . Probably the dumbbell curls around 12 reps with 3 sets. Now this will mentally tune you in because you know that this will be it for the week. Mess up the 3 sets you through with your bicep work. Go on the net and read any training books you have and take in as much as you can about the bicep curl. Then if possible get a spotter and do those 3 sets with as much focus and intensity as you could possibly imagine. Donít stop you set until you absolutely at failure. Do that for 2 weeks once a week. Then do the same but now when you at failure have your spotter help you lift the weight so you can do 2 forced reps. Do this for another two weeks. Then go back to the first week and you should now be able to lift more weight and carry on with this pattern.

I personally think your doing to much on your biceps. Go back to basics get perfect form and 110% focus and discipline yourself to do only one bicep exercise with 3 sets only this will force you to relearn the bicep exercise and make it perfect no room with sloppy form when you have one exercise and only 3 sets, you have to make them count. You are probably thinking this canít work 3 sets and only one exercise! But hey your doing a host of exercises right now and they ainít working, so what have you got to lose? Better form, more focus and less exercises.

Old 09-17-2005, 05:43 PM   #7
(male)

Husky McHusk HB User

I'll give it a try, but I only do an hour for triceps, back, chest, legs, shoulders. Biceps I spend a half hour on and do abs. Everything else on me is fine. I have big shoulders, a strong back...big arms because of the triceps. But I don't have that cut bicep unless i flex.

Thanx for the input buddy

Old 09-18-2005, 06:33 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Too bad there's no easy or convenient way to do biceps WITHOUT using the hands (and thus stressing the wrist). I'm envisioning some kind off VERY special machine that allows you to curl against a resistance applied at the mid forearm; pads or straps...
Doesn't sound workable in real life though!

Closed Thread