It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2005, 08:59 PM   #1
(male)

nedfrin HB User
Exclamation My Cardio/Lean Workout Plan..

Ok, so i am limiting myself to under and around 1500 cals a day, i use whey protein powder shakes during exercise, and i take an L-Carnitine amino acid liquid suppliment 30 mins before exercise, and at breakfast (sometimes at bfast).=just started suppliment=

I usually do like 50 backforth laps in my pool, then do 25 minites on treadmill, and i do sets of weights, usually 12 reps 3 sets...

i want to get lean and build muscle.

i am 6"0 162 pnds. i am skinney on my legs, and arms... i have been building muscle on my arms, but i have genetics and have really LEAN muscle on my thigh/leg. i dont have the 6 pack genes.. I put all my weight on my chest/back.

I am sick of it. so i overtrain/ limit cals.

Btw.. i suffered from calorie counting/exercising on an obsession. I was 190 and lost 65 pounds. I became 125 pounds. I gained 35 pounds over the summer. (munchies) dont ponder. and i shed the weight cleanly. cal restriction and exercise.

NOW i want to become LEAN muscle, and take the fat off my chest.

Help my plan out please.
-Mike.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2005, 09:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: My Cardio/Lean Workout Plan..

Your calories are too low. Way too low to build muscle and in fact are probably losing some at this point. I'd say aim for around 2000, make sure you're getting 1g protein per pound of body weight each day and eat small meals every 2-3 hours. Drinking a protein shake DURING exercise inst necessary. Just drink water. Have a piece of fruit before and have the shake afterward (with some carbohydrates in the shake). That will help you build some muscle and start muscle recovery quickly. To build up muscle you'll need to train with resistance. Presses, flyes, rows, pushups, pullups, squats, crunches... just make sure you're hitting every muscle group and allow at least 24-48 hours rest between sessions working the same muscle group. You should try to use a weight that you can do maybe 8-10 reps with, and not easy reps. The last ones should be a struggle, but not to the point that your form is compromised.

Last edited by Naxis; 09-21-2005 at 09:41 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2005, 10:04 AM   #3
(female)

AllysHeart HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naxis
Have a piece of fruit before and have the shake afterward (with some carbohydrates in the shake).
Hello, Naxis! I read your entire post and think you've given very credible advice. I had only one comment about the above quote. I, personally, cannot have anything in my stomach, except water, during my workouts. When I have food in my stomach during exercise, I become very nauseous and lethargic. If I eat prior to my exercise, it must be about 2 hours prior.

I just wanted to let the readers know that eating immediately before a workout can have this side effect. I would say for people to know whether or not they can exercise with anything on their stomachs in case they have a tendency to be ill as a result, one way or the other.

Old 09-21-2005, 05:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

For lifting, you need to have some amount of blood sugar. You don't have to eat right before, but within an hour should be ok. Before cardio, I can't have eaten anything for a couple hours either, which is why I do it before breakfast. If you really can't lift after having eaten a small something, then a sports drink or juice will fit the bill. The workout will suffer if you have nothing to burn. An apple 30 minutes before doesn't fill me up and provides plenty of energy for the workout. Most of my clients adhere to this as well. But, everyone is different. Do what you must.

Closed Thread