It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2005, 07:20 AM   #1
(male)

taihawk HB User
Novice walking/jogging question

Last week I started up a regimine to get back in shape, or at least to drop the 70 pounds I've added since high school. I started walking 3.5-4 miles each morning, and I've done it a few nights as well.

Yesterday, I started adding minimal jogging, and I did the same today. I probably only jog a total of MAYBE a quarter mile out of that whole distance for now, as it is only maybe about 2 blocks at a time, and very few and far between. I'm doing it more as a way to push my heartrate up and get the breathing going a little more.

This makes sense to me to do, but is it doing any harm??? Is it the best way to go about this, or is there better ways of doing it.

I'm also having a breakfast of 2 eggs and 2 sausage patties for protein when I'm done, and eat an apple before I go out. If anybody has better suggestions, please tip me off, as I'm really trying to turn things around here. Every 2-3 days I am doing crunches, leg lifts, etc. for the abs, and in another week, I'm going to start adding push-ups and some other minimal upper body stuff without weights. Hopefully in a month I'll join a gym if I can keep this up to convince myself it won't be money wasted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2005, 08:18 AM   #2
(male)

taihawk HB User
Re: Novice walking/jogging question

And while I have your attention........I've heard you say that you should follow any workout, be it just cardio or strength training, you should make sure to eat a meal including protein. How much protein should you be taking in????? My first goal is weight loss, but I don't want to lose muscle along the way. Are we talking tons of grams of protein, or just say 15-20 (I think that is what I guessed two sausage patties and 2 eggs added up to, when a piece of cheese was eaten with them.)

Thanks again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2005, 03:14 PM   #3
(female)

cat3883 HB User

I think you need to cut down your fat at breakfast. Why dont you try one egg and 2-3 eggwhites and maybe 2 slices of turkey bacon. The Louis Rich bacon is delicious. Also my trainer has me drink 8oz of water as soon as I get up in the morning.

Old 09-21-2005, 07:34 AM   #4
(male)

taihawk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat3883
I think you need to cut down your fat at breakfast. Why dont you try one egg and 2-3 eggwhites and maybe 2 slices of turkey bacon. The Louis Rich bacon is delicious. Also my trainer has me drink 8oz of water as soon as I get up in the morning.
Thanks, cat. I went out last night and bought some turkey bacon, not to mention turkey breast, to types of sliced turkey for sandwiches, and ground turkey.

I'm also trying to watch the salt intake (trying to get the blood pressure down). WOW, it is almost impossible to find things in the store that are low in salt, let alone salt free.

Is there a section in here dedicated to food and recipes??? thanks.

Old 09-21-2005, 09:47 AM   #5
(female)

AllysHeart HB User

Hello, taihawk! I was going to ask you how your workouts and diet are coming along. Did you have your beer and bratwurst at the game?

I think you're doing great for just having started your workouts. The walking is so beneficial. You can help your heart and lungs as well as get your leg muscles in shape.

Your breakfast sounds like one that would be eaten by a person following the Atkins diet. My husband and I have been on the Atkins plan for 2 years. He lost 30 lbs., and I lost 20-25 lbs. I had an egg and 2 slices of bacon for breakfast this morning.

Do be careful of the sodium in the bacon, if you're trying to lower your BP. I don't really have any comments one way or the other regarding your choice of breakfast. If you continue eating meat and other protein, along with lots of vegetables and salads, you could find yourself going into ketosis, the induction phase of Atkins. By elimininating sugar, fruits, nuts, rice, potatoes and pasta, you might be able to lose several pounds quickly within a period of 2 weeks.

I think you're on the right track, and I admire you for being so enthusiastic about your new diet and exercise plan. Keep up the great job! You do deserve a nice pat on the back!

Good luck with your continiung progress.

Old 09-21-2005, 10:25 AM   #6
(male)

taihawk HB User

Thanks, Allysheart. I thought about the Atkins thing, but I have found over the years that if I completely eliminate any foods from my diet, I end up cheating and ruining the diet altogether. For that reason, I've just decided to limit the amount I eat, cut out the junk food (was never much of a junk-fooder anyway), really restrict the beer, and try to focus a lot on eating healthier, hence the turkey, chicken and fish and really cutting back on the redmeat (almost makes me want to cry.....i'm a steak and taters type).

Today was my wednesday sleep-in day, so I'll go for my walk tonight. I've been doing very well, haven't had a cigarette in 10 days (other than a few cigars at the tailgate on Saturday, and yes, I did have my brats and many beers over the course of the 8-9 hour tailgate ). I have also completely abstained from the bar I frequented, and have only had beer on that tailgating Saturday.

I'm very excited about this change of lifestyle I'm attempting, and hope I can stick with it. I think if I can stick to it for another couple weeks, I'll be past that initial phase where it is easy to make excuses to fall off the wagon, so to speak. Thank you guys for being here, since when I'm on here, it sort of recharges my motivation.

You guys are doing me more help than you can possibly know.

Old 09-21-2005, 12:45 PM   #7
(female)

AllysHeart HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by taihawk
I did have my brats and many beers over the course of the 8-9 hour tailgate ).
Now that's living! It is possible to be disciplined about your diet and exercise regime and still enjoy life!

By reading yor posts, I get that you have a plan and are focused on specific goals. You're using past experience to plan better for success this time. You have a great attitude, taihawk, and I believe you'll do just fine.

I think it's most remarkable that you are 10 days without a cigarette. Try to visualize how your lungs are healing and that everyday, your lungs gain more capacity to feed oxygen to your active body.

Good for you! We're here anytime you feel like posting an update. I enjoy reading great success stories!

Closed Thread