It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2005, 09:17 PM   #1
(male)

SomeRandomDude HB User
Looking for quick results...

I'm not 'fat' by any means, though I do have a little more in the middle than what I would like!

I've always had trouble sticking with diets and the like, though am currently eating two bowls of post healthy classics cereal a day with a piece of fruit (they claim doing so, will allow one to lose ten pounds in 12 weeks) and trying not to go overboard with my 3rd meal of the day. I've also cut down my soda addiction, to a few cans a day.... and even then only diet, the rest of the time bottled water.

My question is as follows... I'm not a huge fan of walking or running and don't currently have a bike (though I do plan on getting one soon) I'm also not currently in a position, where I can afford long term membership to the local fitness center or YMCA.

What else would you all suggest, to get the 30 minutes of activity a day in?

Preferably something 'fun' that's easy to keep up with.... much like dieting, the keeping up part is what I historically have had problems with. As the title suggests quick results would be a definite plus, though is not mandatory

Thanks!

Forgot to mention that my long term goal, is to get a nice set of abs... not a six pack, though it would be nice... don't think I've got the willpower for that, just something that's not so well.. pudgy That's not really the focus here though, it's more along the lines of losing the gut and then I can focus on the toning.

Last edited by SomeRandomDude; 09-21-2005 at 09:22 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2005, 10:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: Looking for quick results...

Your diet is not very good for supporting fitness or a six pack. The claims to lose so much weight so fast includes muscle loss, which drops metabolism. It's a gimmick for fat women. Lose the cereal.
-Increase protein to around .8g per pound of bodyweight
-Try to get around 11x bodyweight in calories each day divided into small meals every 2-3 hours if you can. If you really truly can only work in 3 meals a day, then make sure that they are fairly evenly distributed throughout the day.
-Avoid eating 2-3 hours before bed.
-ANY exercise that you can maintain for 30+ min will help. Any exercise you will do is better than any that you don't do. Jump rope, rollerblading, swimming, basketball, boxing, Tae Bo... anything.
-If/when you can, some kind of resistance training will help significantly. It will increase your lean muscle mass which will increase metabolism and fat burning. Not to mention a better toned look as you lose fat. If not weights, use body weight exercises, or get resistance bands.

But basically diet will make the biggest difference. Kill the soda. It's so, so bad. Use Crystal It would take walking for over an hour to burn that. Keep the diet as clean as you can and you will see a difference.

Old 09-21-2005, 10:51 PM   #3
(male)

SomeRandomDude HB User

Thanks for the reply.

A little more complex than what I was hoping for, but no good things come easy.

Then again once I get in the habit of it, it might not be so complex....

Question though... is the soda truly 'that' bad, again if it's diet and kept to no more than 2 or 3 cans a day? It would be very hard for me to lose the soda fully, it's hard enough for me to switch to the diet!

I'll lose the cereal, too bad I just bought like six or seven different types though

Will take your advice into account, just need to convince myself that I 'want it' enough to go through with all that.

quick edit:

My mom passed away a few years ago, but she had a bunch of Taebo videos... not sure if my dad kept them around, but assuming he did might look into it.

I always thought taebo was sorta well 'girly' though, not that it matters in the long run... would hate to have my roommate harass me for doing it though, if it was.

Actually on second thought.. who cares what my roommate thinks.. if it works, that's all that matters

Last edited by SomeRandomDude; 09-21-2005 at 11:01 PM.

Old 09-21-2005, 11:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Soda is liquid candy. Literally sugar water and chemicals. It really is up there with some of the worst garbage you can put in your body. I know people who have lost 20 pounds with the only change being removing soda from the diet. It's hard to get used to at first, but truly, once you get un-used to soda, you won't even want it anymore. Too sweet.
And don't not eat the cereal if you've already bought it. Just have maybe one serving in the morning in conjunction with some kind of protein like eggs (egg whites/omelette) or lean meat or yogurt or something. It's not totally awful, but it's not the greatest staple.
Tae Bo is actually martial-artsy in form and probably one of the least girly of the aerobics videos. Decent stuff. Kinda fun too. Adding in pushups, pullups, dips and stuff will get in the 'resistance training' part in without the need for equipment.
Good luck man. If you need any support or a kick in the butt, we're here for you.

Old 09-22-2005, 12:51 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomDude
I'm not 'fat' by any means, though I do have a little more in the middle than what I would like!

I've always had trouble sticking with diets and the like, though am currently eating two bowls of post healthy classics cereal a day with a piece of fruit (they claim doing so, will allow one to lose ten pounds in 12 weeks) and trying not to go overboard with my 3rd meal of the day. I've also cut down my soda addiction, to a few cans a day.... and even then only diet, the rest of the time bottled water.

My question is as follows... I'm not a huge fan of walking or running and don't currently have a bike (though I do plan on getting one soon) I'm also not currently in a position, where I can afford long term membership to the local fitness center or YMCA.

What else would you all suggest, to get the 30 minutes of activity a day in?

Preferably something 'fun' that's easy to keep up with.... much like dieting, the keeping up part is what I historically have had problems with. As the title suggests quick results would be a definite plus, though is not mandatory

Thanks!

Forgot to mention that my long term goal, is to get a nice set of abs... not a six pack, though it would be nice... don't think I've got the willpower for that, just something that's not so well.. pudgy That's not really the focus here though, it's more along the lines of losing the gut and then I can focus on the toning.
Good advice from Naxis, not much I can add but I also wonder if you have room in your garage for a pullup station? You can usually do pullups, dips and also hanging leg lifts with one. And add a simple set of dumbbells to that and you have many possibilities for different resistance training exercises. You really don't need alot of stuff to get in shape!

Old 09-24-2005, 07:36 PM   #6
(male)

SomeRandomDude HB User

Don't really have much room for exercise equipment.

I've got an old beat up exercise bike circa 1970 and that's about all I have room for.

I think I'm going to give the tae bo thing a try.

one question though:

I hear it's a pretty intense workout and I'm not in good physical condition at all.

Is it something I should ease myself into, before trying to go full speed ahead?

Old 09-25-2005, 01:22 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomDude
Don't really have much room for exercise equipment.

I've got an old beat up exercise bike circa 1970 and that's about all I have room for.

I think I'm going to give the tae bo thing a try.

one question though:

I hear it's a pretty intense workout and I'm not in good physical condition at all.

Is it something I should ease myself into, before trying to go full speed ahead?
1970? And the thing still works, wow, they sure used to build things to last back then didn't they? Yeah, I'd go slow at first with the tae bo.

Old 09-28-2005, 01:13 PM   #8

Exile HB User

I think the most important thing you could learn is that changing your body composition IS NOT EASY, AND IS NOT QUICK. Naxis had a good reply, I am not sure what is complex about it. If you can get the videos or a bike, great. Otherwise, you have to decide-what do you dislike more? Running, or that pudge? Get dedicated, and get to it.

Old 09-28-2005, 02:11 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Dani Girl 78 HB User

I have done Taebo in the past. I think that there was a warm up tape or atleast a warm up section, so you can always start out doing that and when you get more into it then actually do the whole work out. Remember you are doing this at home so you can go at your own speed. Be sure to stretch and I've been told that potassium is good, helps you not to get so sore. Taebo really kicked my booty, but it felt good to be active.

Good luck

Old 09-29-2005, 05:32 PM   #10
(female)

KannD86 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Girl 78
Be sure to stretch and I've been told that potassium is good, helps you not to get so sore.
Good luck
I read somewhere that stretching before or after a workout doesn't actually do anything. It doesn't gear you up for the workout or prevent any injuries. I'm pretty sure the source was reliable. I don't work out intensely (yet), but if/when I do, I won't waste my time stretching.

Old 09-29-2005, 06:00 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

I'd like to see that source. Flexibility *absolutely* helps to prevent injuries. Acute stretching before weight training can decrease strength, but otherwise, I'd definitely recommend it.

Old 09-29-2005, 07:32 PM   #12
(female)

KannD86 HB User

i'm pretty sure i read it in fitness magazine. i want to double check, but i misplaced it. it came from the latest issue. if anyone else read that, maybe you could give the source of the study? someone else on this board started a thread called stretching and said the same thing to day as me.

Closed Thread